Author Topic: Poole/Owen marriage, Llanasa 1805  (Read 37194 times)

Offline Barbara.H

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Poole/Owen marriage, Llanasa 1805
« on: Saturday 28 June 08 15:20 BST (UK) »
I have found a marriage on the IGI that would fit for my 3x gt-grandfather, Peter Poole.  It is an individual submission, so does not record where this information came from. Could some kind soul check it out for me please?   :)

Peter POOLE m Hester (Esther on 1841 census) OWEN, 21 Sept 1805, Llanasa.

Peter was a lead miner, born c.1784. The family are on the 1841 and 1851 census living in the Graig/Gop area.
I have had a look at the list of transcriptions on the Clwyd FHS website, but I'm not sure which ones I would need to cover this area - Llanasa or Trelawnyd?

This is my first foray into Flintshire genealogy. any guidance would be welcome.

:) Barbara

PS I have just found their daughter Jane's baptism on IGI.  The rather confusing church reference for the baptism is "The Old Or John Wynnes Chapel-Presbyterian Or Indenewmark, Newmarket, Flint, Wales"  - hope that helps
LANCS:  Greenwood, Greenhalgh, Fishwick, Berry,
CHES/DERBYS:  Vernon
YORKS/LINCS: Watson, Stamford, Bartholomew,
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Poole/Owen marriage, Llanasa 1805
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 28 June 08 19:03 BST (UK) »
Barbara it seems the couple married in the Llanasa Parish,but it seems their children were given Non Conformist Baptisms.The Chapel that you mention is in the Newmarket/Trelawnyd Parish,however Clwyd FHS has produced a CD of the Non Conformist Baptisms in Flintshire called the Cocking Index,and it is this which will give further details of the Chapel you mention.

Regards
William Russell Jones
Cefn Mawr
Wrexham.
Jones, Griffiths. Stephens, Parry, Gabriel, Conway, Hughes, Evans, Roberts, Lea, Hanmer. Peake, Edwards. Newnes, Davies. Thomas. "Blythin".
All North Wales.
Conway, Durber, Cartlidge, Lovatt, Bebington. Brindley, Sankey, Brunt. Dean. Clewes. Rhodes. Mountford,Walker,Bache, "Gibbons"Hood. Taylor
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Francis - Nantwich Cheshire.
Dennell - Cheshire/Staffordshire.
Talbot-Shropshire
Census Information Is Crown Copyright,from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Barbara.H

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 30 June 08 10:41 BST (UK) »
Thank you William, I will follow that up.

One more query regarding the Poole family's address on the 1841/1851 census; on both census records their recorded address is 'Mountain'.  On the 1841 census this lies apparently between 'Rose Hill' and 'Purgatory', both of which I found on the Old Maps site on an 1872 map. They are to the east of Newmarket, near Marian.
There was a 'Moelfryn' on the map, but not 'Mountain'  Could they be the same place? A Welsh dictionary tells me that Moelfryn means 'bald hill.'

Thanks again

Offline Paul

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 03 July 08 16:17 BST (UK) »
Hello Barbara. Llanasa parish records. Marriage Sep 21 1805.
Peter Poole. abode, Gwaynyscor. Bachelor.
Hester Owens. of this parish. Spinster.
Witnesses. Sarah Poole. & Robert Roberts.

Baptism.
born 15, baptised 17 1784. Ester Owens. D/O William & Ann. abode, Trelogan.
I couldn't see a baptism for Peter or any of their children.

Gwaenysgor Parish. Marriage. Nov 14 1807.
John Jones. o.t.p.
Sarah Pool. o.t.p.
Witnesses Peter Pool & Thos Wynne.
Again I couldn't see baptisms for any little Pools ::)

Paul.

Offline Barbara.H

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 03 July 08 17:44 BST (UK) »
Oh Paul,  thank you thank you !  :D :D

As William said, it looks as if the little Pools (puddles?  ;D) were baptised at the Nonconformist chapel. But its a huge help to have the mariage record.

In case anyone else comes to this thread looking for Pool/Pooles;  Peter Poole's daughter Jane goes to Manchester in the 1840s and marries a Peter Roberts from Ruthin.  Makes me wonder if Peter Poole was born in Denbighshire also..

Thanks again,

Offline MaryJC

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 15 July 08 05:23 BST (UK) »
Hello, my name is Mary and I am also researching these people!  I too am related to them....please tell me how you are related and any information you know about them.  I have most of their childrens dob etc. 

Thanks!  Mary

Offline Barbara.H

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 15 July 08 10:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Mary welcome to Rootschat  :D :D :D

Jane Poole is my 3x gt-grandmother.  She moved to Manchester and married William Roberts of Ruthin at Manchester Cathedral, 7/3/1842.  (I put Peter Roberts on last thread - my typing mistake, she married William)
Jane and William had 4 children between 1842 and 1848, including my 2x t-grandmother Puah Roberts. Do a rootschat search for Puah Roberts on the Lancashire board and you will find a thread where I was asking for help finding her in 1851.
Jane Poole dies around 1849.  William marries again around 1853 to another Jane and has 4 more children with her.  William dies around 1870.

I'll send you a PM.

Offline MaryJC

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 15 July 08 17:17 BST (UK) »
Barbara,
Thanks for the reply!  How interesting!  I have been trying to find out if Peter Poole and Hester Owens are my 4x great grandparents.  My 2x great grandfather Christopher Roberts is listed as living with Peter & Hester in the 1851 census, Christopher and his brothers are listed as nephews to Peter & Hester, however I wonder if they are really his grandparents.  Christopher's parents were John Roberts & Anne Poole Roberts.  After Anne's death in 1841, the children were scattered at a very young age.  I do not know who Anne's parents are.  I thought they were Peter Poole & Hester but I have found birth records for all of their children and Anne is not mentioned.  Anne was born about 1807.  Peter Poole is listed as the informant to the registrar's office of Anne's death in 1841 this further thickens the plot.  Anne named her 2nd son Peter and her only daughter Jane.  Do you know anything about Peter & Hester's other children?  Do you have any other information about Peter or Hester?
Wonderful to meet you!
Mary

Offline Barbara.H

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 15 July 08 22:31 BST (UK) »
Wow, that's a knotty one!  ;D ;D
I thought the Pooles and Robertses must be interrelated more than once. 
All I know about Peter and Hester Poole is what has come to light so far on this thread  ??? But from a newcomer's point of view, it looks to me as if your Christopher's mother, Anne Poole Roberts, is the sister of William Poole (husband of Hester).  So Christopher would be Peter and Hester Poole's nephew.

For children of Peter Poole and Hester Owens, I found on IGI:
JANE christened 17 Aug 1815 The Old Or John Wynnes Chapel (that's my Jane)
MARIA chr. 20 Nov 1818 The Old Or John Wynnes Chapel
then to Peter Poole and "Ester Jones" - is this the same person?
PETER chr. 11 Jul 1821 Tre Logan Calvinistic Methodist, Llanasa
ELIZABETH chr. 09 Mar 1824 Tre Logan Calvinistic Methodist, Llanasa

Maria, Peter and Elizabeth are all with Peter and Hester at Graig in 1841; Jane, the oldest has gone into service in Manchester

And talking of thickening plots
According to Pauls post last week, one of Peter and Hester Poole's marriage witnesses was Robert Roberts. My William Roberts (that married Jane Poole in Manchester) put Robert Roberts down as his father on his marriage cert...

I'll have to draw a diagram for this lot!