Author Topic: Haggie family of Boness  (Read 8758 times)

Offline wildgoose

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Haggie family of Boness
« on: Saturday 28 June 08 19:37 BST (UK) »
Can anyone help with census info. on the family below:

Cheers ;D

Name:   Charles HAGGIE
----------------------------------------
Birth:   1845   Temple, Edinburgh
Marriage:   16 6 1865   Boness, Linlithgowshire
Spouse:   Grace TAIT
Birth:   1847   Ireland

Children:
1 F:   Agnes Waldie HEGGIE
Birth:   19 8 1874   Boness, Linlithgowshire
Spouse:   Richard PARK
Marriage:   26 3 1897   Linlithgow, Linlithgowshire
2 M:   Robert HAGGIE
Birth:   1877   Boness, Linlithgowshire
3 F:   Margaret HAGGIE
Birth:   1878   Boness, Linlithgowshire
4 F:   Helen HAGGIE
Birth:   1880   Boness, Linlithgowshire

Notes for Charles HAGGIE
1881 Census recs.
Dwelling: Northbank Cottages
Census Place: Carriden, Linlithgow, Scotland
Charles HAGGIE M 36  M Temple, Edinburgh, Scotland  Rel: Head  Occ: Engine Keeper Foundry
Grace Tait HAGGIE M 34  F Ireland  Rel: Wife
Agnes HAGGIE   6  F Bo'ness, Linlithgow, Scotland  Rel: Daur  Occ: Scholar
Robert HAGGIE   4  M Bo'ness, Linlithgow, Scotland  Rel: Son
Maggie HAGGIE   3  F Bo'ness, Linlithgow, Scotland  Rel: Daur
Ellen HAGGIE   1  F Bo'ness, Linlithgow, Scotland  Rel: Daur
John TAIT   2 m M Bo'ness, Linlithgow, Scotland  Rel: Nephew

All information taken from my personal database compiled from original sources - Crown Copyright acknowledge as stated.
Family names:SPINK (WRY), GOODWIN (DBY), PRATT (SCT & WRY), WILDGOOSE (DBY), STRETTON (LEI & DBY), MARTIN(ANS), NICOLL(ANS), McKENNA(TYR), STRAIN(DON), WALLACE(FIF), RAE(STI), PENMAN(STI) & CAPPIE(ELN).

Offline kennyg

• RootsChat Member
  • Meikles, Watsons, McGregors and Bairds
    • View Profile
Re: Haggie family of Boness
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 19 July 08 20:26 BST (UK) »
Hi,

In 1851, Charles (shown as aged 8) was living with his parents John (a Pit Labourer above ground, aged 51, born Haddington) and Agness (aged 43, born Eddleston, Peebleshire) and his 6 siblings - John (Pit Labourer above ground, 15, Penicuik), Agness (13, Penicuik), Grace (10, Penicuik), Robert (6, Temple), Sarah (3, Bo'ness) and Serris (5 months, Carriden).  They are living at Poonareya Farm, Mutton Hole.  I suspect the Farm name is a mistranscription.  The youngest is a son whose name is unclear.

Originally known as Muttonhole, Davidson's Mains is now part of the city of Edinburgh. It is situated roughly 3 miles north west of the city centre, close to the north end of Costorphine Hill.

In 1861 the 18 year old Charles is still at home with Mum and Dad.  He is an Ironstone Miner and the family live at Northbank Cot-House in Carriden.  His Father is a Nightwatchman at the Pithead.  3 younger siblings remain at home with him - Robert (16, Ironstone Miner), Sarah (15, Scholar) and Jerris (10, Scholar).  The name of the youngest remains interesting!

The elderly John and Agnes (72 and 60 respectively) are living in a house on Northbank Farm in 1871.  He is shown as unable to work.  30 year old Grace is at home with a 5 year old (shown as Grand-daughter of John) called Agnes.  Their eldest son John, a Pit Engine Driver, is also living on Northbank Farm with his family (wife Jane and 5 children).

Charles, a Coal Pit Engineman, is married to Grace by 1871 and they are shown as living in North Street, Bo'ness with two children - Rachel (aged 5) and John (aged 3).

1891 sees Charles (an Enginekeeper) and Grace living at 95, Kingscavil Rows in Linlithgow with 5 children - Robert (14, a Mines Brakesman), Maggie (a 12 year old scholar), Nellie (10, Scholar), Isabella (4) and Sarah (1).  There is also an 8 year old Visitor, Hans Wylie.

Same address and occupation in 1901.  Children though are Rachel H Ramsay (aged 35), Robert W (24, Arts Student), Nellie T (Servant Domestic) and Isabella Mc (14, Scholar).

Hope all this is useful and interesting.

Regards,

Kenny   

Offline wildgoose

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 19 July 08 22:25 BST (UK) »
Many thanks.  Just a couple of questions.
Do you know the maiden name of John HAGGIE snr.'s spouse as all I have is Agnes  ???
What sex was the child Serris or Jerris ???
Also Robert (son of Charles) is shown as a brakesman age 14 but 10 years later he is an art student.  That seems to be quite a career move ???
All information taken from my personal database compiled from original sources - Crown Copyright acknowledge as stated.
Family names:SPINK (WRY), GOODWIN (DBY), PRATT (SCT & WRY), WILDGOOSE (DBY), STRETTON (LEI & DBY), MARTIN(ANS), NICOLL(ANS), McKENNA(TYR), STRAIN(DON), WALLACE(FIF), RAE(STI), PENMAN(STI) & CAPPIE(ELN).

Offline kennyg

• RootsChat Member
  • Meikles, Watsons, McGregors and Bairds
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 19 July 08 22:43 BST (UK) »
I believe Agnes's maiden name was Waldie - son Robert married Isabella McLaren in 1867 (see  http://www.mlfhs.org.uk/AngloScots/G.pdf).

I did mention that youngest was a son.

At 14, Robert would naturally have followed his Father to the pit - by the time he's 24 he may well have found his true calling!  He would certainly have known his own mind by then.

Kenny

Offline wildgoose

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 19 July 08 23:13 BST (UK) »
many thanks. 

Offline maz7552

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 28 July 08 14:20 BST (UK) »
I have the MI's for West Lothian and found,

Bo'ness, Corbiehill

18: (fallen stone) Charles HAGGIE, w Grace TAIT, chn William 08/09/1870 5ys, Wm 23/01/1873 [2]0m, a son d 30/09/18-- in inf .

Don't know if this helps any.

Maz
Owens, McGarrell, Weir Lanarkshire.
Owens, McGarrell, Keenan Ireland.

Offline wildgoose

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 28 July 08 16:29 BST (UK) »
It is definitely the family I have been researching.  Is there any mention of a death date for Charles, or age, or Garce :'(

Many thanks  ;D

PS you don't have a photo of the headstone ::)

Offline maz7552

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 29 July 08 12:44 BST (UK) »
Hi, nothing else for them I'm afraid.  I don't have a picture of the headstone at the moment but I am taking pics of West Lothian churchyards and will be doing Bo'ness at some point,

Maz
Owens, McGarrell, Weir Lanarkshire.
Owens, McGarrell, Keenan Ireland.

Offline dancing queen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 13 April 09 22:41 BST (UK) »
Hi
Just to put the record straight the youngest son of John Haggie and Agnes Waldie
was my g grandfather and his name was Terris Haggie not jerris.
                                         Dancing Queen.