Author Topic: Typing 'foreign' characters e.g. Umlauts  (Read 78421 times)

Offline Bethgem

• RootsChat Member
  • My Grandfather and helpboy at his Congleton shop
    • View Profile
Re: Typing 'foreign' characters e.g. Umlauts
« Reply #36 on: Thursday 03 March 11 21:31 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that info, danishdots. Most useful. I hadn't known about it.
I saw that I could create a shortcut for the one I want to use regularly.
It does away with having to press the num-lock on, then pressing the alt key and then pressing numbers 129 to get it. It is the ü.
My shortcut is a lot easier, but it didn't work on here as it isn't in Word, so I used the old way to get it to show to you.
Cheers
;)
Green (Grün) - Hohenberg, Württemberg, Germany
Weber - Ingelfingen, Germany
Also in Congleton, Cheshire, UK

Offline johnbhoy

• RootsChat Member
  • For my Grandchildren
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Wednesday 04 May 11 08:54 BST (UK) »
This is a great thread, thanks to all for posting, very helpful

Freundliche Grüße

johnbhoy
Scotland (Helensburgh, Glasgow, Banff, Campbelltown); MacKenzie, McKenzie, Donnachie, Donachie, McClafferty, Fee, Scullion, Cairns, McDonagh, McFinney,Chalmers,Stewart, McAllister

Ireland (Donegal-Rosses, Mullaghduff, Boyle Co Roscommon & other counties); Donachie, Finnigan, McGinley, Brennan, Sharkey, Boyle, Sweenie, Kearns, Balmartin, Martin, McDonald, Irvine

England (Carlisle); Ashbridge,Armstrong, Cavers, Wall, Dixon
England (Blackpool) Hall, Barker
Germany (Hohebach,Württemberg) Wahl

Offline Billyblue

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Wednesday 04 May 11 11:06 BST (UK) »
Yes, very interesting to see how people approach this.

If anyone with a laptop wants to be able to use the ASCII characters with the numerical keyboard on the side, you can also get an external numerical keyboard to plug into one of your ports.  It never works on the numbers across the top.

By far the easiest way, I find, is to use the Insert Symbol function in Word and then cut and paste, which is one of the methods suggested earlier.

Dawn M
Denys (France); Rossier/Rousseau (Switzerland); Montgomery (Antrim, IRL & North Sydney NSW);  Finn (Co.Carlow, IRL & NSW); Wilson (Leicestershire & NSW); Blue (Sydney NSW); Fisher & Barrago & Harrington(all Tipperary, IRL)

Offline FosseWay

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Monday 16 May 11 13:58 BST (UK) »
If there is a particular second language you type in regularly, you can also simply download the keyboard driver for that language and toggle between the two as required. In the old days when Mac OS supported very few diacritics, the only way I could find of getting the Old English characters Þþ and Ðð was to download the Icelandic keyboard driver, which allocates a particular keystroke to those characters. In Mac OS 9 it was simply a case of clicking on the relevant flag at the top right of the screen to change layout; I haven't needed to do this in Windows or Mac OS X, so I'm not sure how it works there, but I can't imagine it's any more complicated than that.

The only issues are:
1. There's obviously a finite number of keys, so if you add a new character it has to be at the expense of something else, which you'll have to look up laboriously using the various methods given in this thread if you need it.

2. Some keyboard layouts do more than just replacing some little-used sign (such as §) with your foreign character of choice, and instead mess with the entire layout of the keyboard. The French keyboard, for example, begins AZERTY.

Offline denyse_aus

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Easy .. Typing 'foreign' characters e.g. Umlauts
« Reply #40 on: Monday 07 January 13 11:21 GMT (UK) »
Turn your Numeral Lock on. Hold the Alt key down & type the numbers on the numeric key pad
é  130
ä  132
Ä  142
ö  148
Ö  153
ü  129
Ü  154
ß  225
€  0128
CHS: Boulderstone, Lomas, Bracegirdle, Worsencroft, Whitelegg, Jones, Simpson, Harding, Walley, Crewe<br />LAN: Butterworth, Holme, Brierley, Hoyle, Keary, Taylor, Bonney, Winterbottom, Bennison, Roscoe<br />W/MIDS: Stringer, Gill, Hampton, Hancox, Grainger, Parkes, Bodily, Jeavons, Ellis, Troman<br />MSX, LON, SRY: Stoner, Russell, Colebrook, Deighton, Husher, Bonney, Knott, Boatwright, Woodman, Smith<br />CLA: Quinn, Creedy, McGrath, McInerney, Arkins<br />COR: Lenihan, Connor, Byrne, Welsh<br

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Monday 07 January 13 15:31 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that, I usually open Word and add from symbols, then copy and paste.  Your method is much quicker.  If it's a longish sentence, I type it in English and then google translate.  ;)

Offline Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Monday 07 January 13 15:44 GMT (UK) »
I just keep a copy of the Character Map accessory on the desktop so any symbol is quickly available no matter what program I'm using.  殼£åöþ.
Wiltshire:  Banks, Taylor
Somerset:  Duddridge, Richards, Barnard, Pillinger
Gloucestershire:  Barnard, Marsh, Crossman
Bristol:  Banks, Duddridge, Barnard
Down:  Ennis, McGee
Wicklow:  Chapman, Pepper
Wigtownshire:  Logan, Conning
Wisconsin:  Ennis, Chapman, Logan, Ware
Maine:  Ware, Mitchell, Tarr, Davis

Offline Chase23

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Friday 25 December 15 07:26 GMT (UK) »
Character Map which is built into Windows has all the foreign characters, fractions etc. that you might need. Look in Programs/Accessories/System Tools to find it. I have it pinned to the Start Menu so it's easily found when I want it.