Author Topic: Harry HILDITCH  (Read 10483 times)

Offline fionajka

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Harry HILDITCH
« on: Monday 30 June 08 04:38 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone,

I am trying to find a birth for Harry HILDITCH.

I have located one record on the IGI where he listed as born 1876 Crewe, Cheshire. I need to confirm this if possible. Apparently his parents were John and Julia, but again, this is unconfirmed.

What I DO know is that he married Ethel GRIFFITHS, 1906 in Birkenhead, Cheshire. and they then went on to have a number of children both in Monmouth and Australia.

Essentially, I'm trying to find his parents and siblings if possible..

Any leads available?

Fiona

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
Re: Harry HILDITCH
« Reply #1 on: Monday 30 June 08 11:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Fiona

Welcome to Rootschat.

I would be wary of the IGI record you have found, as it has been submitted by a member of the LDS Church so cannot be relied upon. 

The birth on FreeBMD for 1876 is for a Harry Hilditch born in Stone, Staffordshire, reference Sept.1876 Stone 6b 31. 

There is another  birth reference Sept.1874 Congleton 8a 308 and another reference Dec.1878 Stoke T (Stoke on Trent) 6b 230.  Any of these could be your Harry Hilditch.

You will need to buy the birth certificate to find out his parents, or as you know his wife's name, you could buy the marriage certificate, reference, Sept.1906 Birkenhead 8a 1111,  if you don't already have it as that will give his father's name.  From that you may be able to find him on the censuses before his marriage with his parents and possible date of birth to narrow down your options.

Lizzie

Offline DS

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 30 June 08 12:52 BST (UK) »
Hi

According to a Pedigree Resource File on http://www.familysearch.org/ he and Ethel are alleged to have been born c1884. An exact birth and death date are given for Ethel plus her birth place details. The name of the person who submitted the information is also shown (but unfortunately no contact address)

As Lizzie says, these are details submitted by individuals rather than being taken from original church records and, as such, their validity cannot be guaranteed.

The 1906 Marriage seems to be the key to finding out who he was (unless you already have a bit more certain information about him that we can use)

According to http://www.cheshirebmd.org.uk/ the 1906 Marriage took place at the Baptist Church, Grange Road, Birkenhead.

If you do not wish to buy the certificate, someone may now be able to look it up in the register for you, if you ask.

DS :)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 30 June 08 15:16 BST (UK) »
It's nice to have less common names to search for!   It appears to me that the correct birth entry is the one at Stone in 1876.   However, I believe that he was the illegitimate son of a Julia Hilditch bp.3/8/1856 Alsager, Cheshire in 1856.

In 1881 Harry is a boarder with a couple (didn't note exact details) but in 1891 he's at Haslington, Cheshire with his grandparents.

George Hilditch   69    b. Bishton, Cheshire
Ann Hilditch 63            b. Alsager, Cheshire
Eliza Hilditch dau.   23  b. Haslington, Cheshire
Annie Hilditch g/dau  19         ditto
Harry Hilditch g/son   15   b. Stone, Staffordshire.

Ref. RG12 2854 34 25

In 1881 Julia Hilditch is listed as a servant in Stone, Staffordshire!

As already stated one should always be a bit sceptical about submitted entries and check things thoroughly - however, the birth date is more likely to be correct and ties is with the Stone birth entry in Sept.1876.   I feel sure the date on the birth certificate will tie in with this submitted entry but think it will just state mother - Julia Hilditch.

In Sept.qtr 1883 at Stone, Staffs. Julia Hilditch married to either a John Vernon or William Morris.   Couldn't find on 1891 Census so checked deaths and found:

Julia Morris   bc.1856  d. Sept. qtr. 1888   Stone, Staffs.

Hopefully this helps.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 30 June 08 18:59 BST (UK) »
1881 reference RG11/2692/126/18.  The couple he's boarding with are called Joseph and Susannah Bladon.

1891 reference RG12/2854/34/25, when he's with grandparents.

I'd looked at those but discounted them as like Fiona said  the Harry who she found on IGI was apparently born in Crewe and they are not in the same area.  Crewe is in Cheshire, Stone in Staffordshire and they are 25 miles apart.

Annette - The marriage and death you have found don't tie in with IGI (although that is probably a suspect entry) as on IGI it shows Harry's parents as John and Julie.  From that you would think she married the John Vernon, not the William Morris that you found.

All this inconsistency is why no-one should trust submitted records on IGI.

Lizzie

Offline fionajka

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 30 June 08 23:11 BST (UK) »
Thank you both for that information - I'll spend some time trying the two different scenarios and see if they fit.

I do agree that the marriage certificate is the key...do either of you now anyone that can do a lookup for that - is it on another area of rootschat that I would have to submit that request too?

I also agree with being somewhat suspect of submitted IGI records - of course contacting the submitter is a great idea to check sources of information. Which is what I am doing at present with this thread and only using the information as a guide.... thankfully for me, many submitted records have turned into excellent leads in my family search.

So again, thank you both for your help.

Fiona

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 30 June 08 23:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Fiona

Unfortunately, no-one can look up a marriage certificate, you have to buy it.  The website is www.gro.gov.uk and the certificate will cost you £7.  You need the reference I quoted, that is Sept.1906 Birkenhead 8a 1111, then you wait a couple of weeks and the certificate should arrive.

When you start buying lots of birth, marriage and death certificates, you realise that this can be a very expensive hobby.

Lizzie

Offline fionajka

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 04 September 08 06:34 BST (UK) »
Hello all again,

I finally got the marriage certificate for Harry and Ethel and it looks like the IGI record was correct. His father name is listed as John who was a wheel wright but deceased by 1906. Harry was 30 at the time so I doubt the 1901 census record would have him with parents and siblings. He is listed as an electrician ad living in "Whelock Heath"? near Baudbach and Ethel was at 13 South View, Bromborough Pool.

Thought I would let you know how it turned out...

Fiona

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 04 September 08 11:14 BST (UK) »
OK.  This is where we seem to be now.

1.  Harry's father was John (at least that's what he told the registrar)
but does the marriage cert. give father's surname?

2.  The IGI record states he was born 26.6.1876 in Crewe.

3.   There are no birth registrations for a Harry Hilditch born in Crewe.   

4.   The IGI record shows his parents as John Hilditch and Julie.

5.  The IGI record does not give his mother's surname, maiden or married.

6.   On the 1881 census (born Stone) he's already boarding with a Bladon family.

7.  On the 1891 census (born Stone) he's staying with Hilditch grandparents.

8.  Julia Hilditch is an unmarried servant on the 1881 census

9.  Annette gave you the following information:

In Sept.qtr 1883 at Stone, Staffs. Julia Hilditch married to either a John Vernon or William Morris.   Couldn't find on 1891 Census so checked deaths and found:

Julia Morris   bc.1856  d. Sept. qtr. 1888   Stone, Staffs.

I think to find out who his parents were, the only option is to buy a birth certificate.  However, there are 3 to choose from, although the first might be the most probable as on the 1881 and 1891 census, Harry is shown as born in Stone.

Sept.1876 Stone 6b 31.
Sept.1874 Congleton 8a 308
Dec.1878 Stoke T (Stoke on Trent) 6b 230

Lizzie