Author Topic: Alfred Butler and Ann Wildon - Bingley  (Read 3337 times)

Offline frankington

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Alfred Butler and Ann Wildon - Bingley
« on: Monday 30 June 08 09:30 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I wonder if anyone could help me with these two. I have census information and a marriage certificate. It would seem that Alfred may have got Annie pregnant and married her  (16 Mar 1858). Their son James was born 6th Sept of the same year.
What I am interested in is how they may have met. In the 1851 census Annie (who was born in Welburn) was working as a servant to a solicitor Mr Jackson in Malton. On her marriage certificate she is listed as a servant. I cannot find any links between the Butler family of Bingley and Malton, or Mr Jackson. Did she perhaps go into service somewhere in the West Riding?
It is a bit of a long shot but if anyone has any suggestions I would love to hear from you.
Regards
Frankington

Offline kevchaz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Alfred Butler and Ann Wildon - Bingley
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 04 August 10 01:39 BST (UK) »
hi, i may be able to help you with why ann wildon was in bingley?. was ann wildon born 1837 welburn reg, sep. 1837 malton vol. 24 page 266, christened 23 sep 1837 in bulmer. the daughter of john wildon b.1809 helmsley ( john and my g.g.grandfather francis were brothers ).
anns brother john thomas wildon b.1849 was living at 53, north st. bingley on the 1881 census. also anns sister sarah wildon b. 1840  married charles dawson in 1861 at (reg) malton. they are living at main st bingley on the 1871 census, 134 main st on the 1881 census, 33 main st on the 1891 census, and 142 main st on the 1901 census.
I hope this answers the question and I am intrested in anything you might have on ann as i haven't done any research on her.
I also have the wildon family back to 1600 at terrington, yorks.

regards kevin wildon.

Offline frankington

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 04 August 10 20:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Kevin!
What a surprise to get an answer to my query. It is indeed myAnn Wildon born in Welburn 1837.
I have been doing the family history of my paternal grandmother whoes name was Asquith for the past few years. My great great grandfather Samuel Asquith married Emily Jane Butler who was the second child of Alfred and Annie Butler. I have a photo of Emily Jane if you are interested.
I can tell you that Alfred was born in Bingley in 1836 son of James  Butler and Mary Ann Read. James died young and by 1851 Alfred was apprenticed to his grandfather, John Read an iron and scrap metal founder in Bingley.
By 1861 he had married Annie and was working as a bookkeeper and living in Wellington Street Bingley. Their first son James is staying with Great Uncle Henry Read in Otley. Alfred and Annie have a new baby living with them (Emily Jane - my great great grandmother)
By 1871 Alfred and Annie are living at 2 Trinity Terrace Bingley. Alfred is listed as a worsted spinner, manufacturer and landowner (in 1870 he had bought and was remodelling Thornfield House, Micklethwaite)
By 1881 the family are living in Thornfield HOuse. Alfred is is business with his brother Henry Butler. They own A & H Butler & Co worsted spinners of Victoria, Peel and Dubb Mills)They employ almost 800 people. Will let you know more. Regards  Sally

Offline kevchaz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 10 August 10 11:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Sally,
           Thanks for your reply, yes I am interested in the  photo and a scan off the wedding cert. if possible.
looking at the dates I have of Sarah Dawson (Wildon) and John Tomas Wildon it look as if they followed Anne to Bingley so it doesn't help you with how Alfred and Ann met.
I will try and attach a photo of anns parents headstone that is in welburn churchyard.
        regards Kev.

sorry can't send photo file is too large?

Offline Widger

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 26 November 16 09:15 GMT (UK) »
It might be rather late to reply to these posts, having just joined this site! These were my great grandparents on my mother's side. My mother also talked a lot about the connection by marriage to Sam Asquith. I have photos of several of the great aunts (Butler) including Emily who married Sam Asquith. There is also a photo of family members outside Thornfield house. I saw the house from the exterior with my husband in 1972 and it was by then a residential home for elderly people. Great Aunt Alice Butler had moved there towards the end of her life and apparently had the room that she had been born in and died in the same room. My grandmother was Elizabeth Butler and she married Edwin Bounds. My mother was born (the third of three children)  in 1909 when they were living in Station Road, Finchley. He was an area sales manager for Crosse and Blackwell and when my mother started school (at the age of 6) they were living in Scotland. My mother certainly did not know about Ann Wildon already 'having a child on the way' when she, Ann, married!  I have a purse made  by native Americans that great grandfather Alfred Butler brought back from America on one of his trips as a present for my Grannie.

Offline Jane Walker

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 24 March 19 19:42 GMT (UK) »
Hello Widger
I'm very interested in your post as I am a great great granddaughter of Alfred Butler of Thornfield House Micklethwaite. My great grandfather - one of his sons - was therefore a brother to your grandmother Elizabeth. I think this is correct. I have been researching the Butlers on and off since 2006. Hope you see this post.
Thanks
Jane

Offline Strawbounds

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 26 November 23 19:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi, we have find this thread whilst searching for information on our family. Our grandparents are Winifred Bounds and Thomas Strawford.  Our great grandparents are Elizabeth Butler and Edwin Bounds.  We are really interested to discover more about our family