Author Topic: Poland - Babis and Matuszcak  (Read 1327 times)

Offline AnneMarie Brear

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Poland - Babis and Matuszcak
« on: Tuesday 01 July 08 05:21 BST (UK) »
Hi.

I'm helping my sister trace her husband's family. His paternal line is Babis from Poland. The story is rather tragic.

Franciszek Babis (b 1895) married Marisha Matuszcak (b 1907)
Their children were born in Janwarowa, near Baranowiceze East Poland (now Belarus)
When the second World War broke out, the Russian invaded the area and Franciszek and his family were sent to work in camps near Siberia. Two sons died at the camps. Their youngest son Tadeuzs was taken in by a Russian family, only he was reclaimed when the family went on the run in about 1942 when germany was sweeping the area.
While on a train journey, the eldest son and father went missing at a station stop. The mother carried on with the younger children. The father or eldest son was never heard from again. (we don't know if they survived or died)

Marisha journeyed through Pakistan and onto India and her youngest daughter Teresa died there in Valivader, Kolhopur, 1946.
The Red Cross helped them sail to England in 1947 and they settled there. We know one older daughter emigrated to America and the youngest son Tadeuzs emigrated to Australia after marrying in Dewsbury, Yorkshire. 

Any help would be much appreciated as we've come to a halt on the research.
Brear, Wragby, Yorks.
Kittrick, Yorks & Ireland
Nicholls, Yorks & ireland
Gay, Gloucestershire

Offline Mary65

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: Poland - Babis and Matuszcak
« Reply #1 on: Monday 16 July 18 09:06 BST (UK) »
Hi there,
Unfortunately I only came across this post recently when searching for various details of my family.
The history you describe is very familiar to me as my mum is one of the children of Franciszek and Maria who returned to England after the war, and she is sadly now the only remaining one.
Please do get in touch if you're still interested - I assume you're either in the US or Australia as all the relatives in the UK are still in touch to some extent.

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 17 July 18 08:39 BST (UK) »
I wonder if Joseph Babis is related -
Joseph Babis born 27th April 1889 Jadlowka ,Poland - died 28th July 1942 ( during WW2 ) in Jadlowka Poland aged 53 under Nazi occupation .
parents
Antoine Babis - Anna Zajac

https://gw.geneanet.org/josfro?n=babis&oc=&p=joseph

have a look - if you think there may be a connection you can contact the tree owner  :)
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline Babis17

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 18 July 18 09:53 BST (UK) »
Hi I thinkFranciszek   could be my great grandfather. I live in Australia. My grandfather Tadezus emigrated in the late 60s. He is now deceased. I’m his eldest grandchild, my father was Simon Babis.

Offline Babis17

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 18 July 18 10:03 BST (UK) »
I wonder if Joseph Babis is related -
Joseph Babis born 27th April 1889 Jadlowka ,Poland - died 28th July 1942 ( during WW2 ) in Jadlowka Poland aged 53 under Nazi occupation .
parents
Joseph may be the brother to Franciszek Babis? I know he was a carpenter and was married twice. I have also wondered if Babis was ever abrivated.
Antoine Babis - Anna Zajac

https://gw.geneanet.org/josfro?n=babis&oc=&p=joseph

have a look - if you think there may be a connection you can contact the tree owner  :)