Author Topic: West Calder  (Read 16480 times)

Offline Desert Girl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: West Calder
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 31 January 09 09:32 GMT (UK) »
I think the map of Addiewell is lovely, thank you for putting it on this thread.  My grandparents married in the RC church there in 1921.

Am I right in thinking it is Addiewell in 1900?  The date is not clear to me.
WHITTLESEA, WHITTLESEY, MILLS, ROBERTS, LEADEN, LEETEN of March & Witcham, Cambs and of Somersham, Hunts.
WHITTLESEY/WHITTLESEA, HYATT, GUNNELL, STRINGER, BEVAN, GLENISTER, BUCHHOLZ/BUCKLE, HELLEWELL, TAGG of Marylebone & Paddington, London.
LLOYD, FROST of Holborn & Highgate, London.
ROSKA, ROCKA, ROCHKA, MICKEVICIUS, MICKEVICIUTE  of Lithuania, and later West Lothian & Edinburgh.

Offline Cauther Lassie

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 31 January 09 21:00 GMT (UK) »
Hello All,

Sorry for not replying I keep forgetting to check the site.  The Addiewell map wasn't in a publication - I got it amongst my Dad's things - and it is 1900.   The map doesn't show the RC Church as it wasn't built until about 1916 or thereabouts.   I've quite a few old photographs of Addiewell and district - my Mum was born in Loganlea, my Dad in West Calder, he was one of the local postmen so as a wee lassie I went on his rounds with him.  That was a long time ago - and Addiewell as it was, still existed.

Attaching a clipping showing Young's Addiewell Oil Works at its height, it was some place!!!

cheers ...... Meg
Graham, Dundas, Tweedie, Somerville, Robb, Watson, Gillespie, Main, Stenhouse, Gilmour, Sneddon, McPheat, all Cauther Families.

Offline pippylong

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 01 February 09 09:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi Meg :),

thank you so much for sharing this with us.  You are right it was some place - much bigger than I had anticipated.  You say you have other photographs of Addiewell - could you possibly share some of them with us?  I know it may be asking a bit much, thank you for taking the time out to help us here,

many thanks,

Claire :)
Darney/Lyons (Cardiff, South Wales/ Cork, Ireland/France)
Shaw/Helme/Titterington (Lancashire, England)
Parry/Lewis (South Wales, UK)
Bell/Moore/Dawson/Collins (Scotland/Ireland)

Offline Desert Girl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 01 February 09 12:08 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much Meg, it's very good of you to share these things with us.
And if you did put up some photos, I would be forever grateful !!!!!!!!!!

Many thanks.
WHITTLESEA, WHITTLESEY, MILLS, ROBERTS, LEADEN, LEETEN of March & Witcham, Cambs and of Somersham, Hunts.
WHITTLESEY/WHITTLESEA, HYATT, GUNNELL, STRINGER, BEVAN, GLENISTER, BUCHHOLZ/BUCKLE, HELLEWELL, TAGG of Marylebone & Paddington, London.
ROSKA, ROCKA, ROCHKA, MICKEVICIUS, MICKEVICIUTE  of Lithuania, and later West Lothian & Edinburgh.

Offline Cauther Lassie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 01 February 09 13:03 GMT (UK) »
Hello Claire & Desert Girl,

Glad to help, some of my family were hoarders and there's a mass of old postcards we have between us - though once picture postcards became popular, lots of folks collected them.  One of our ancesters was in Domestic Service and worked all over the place, and constantly sent postcards of the areas she worked it back home - we still have them all.   Here's some more of Addiewell - I'll post them over several messages ...  cheers ..  Meg
Graham, Dundas, Tweedie, Somerville, Robb, Watson, Gillespie, Main, Stenhouse, Gilmour, Sneddon, McPheat, all Cauther Families.

Offline Cauther Lassie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 01 February 09 13:25 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

Some of my photos are too big to post, I'll try reducing file sizes later on today, but better get on.....   This is the school

Offline pippylong

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 01 February 09 20:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi Meg,

thank you so much for these, it is absolutely brilliant!!

Many thanks,

Claire ;D ;D
Darney/Lyons (Cardiff, South Wales/ Cork, Ireland/France)
Shaw/Helme/Titterington (Lancashire, England)
Parry/Lewis (South Wales, UK)
Bell/Moore/Dawson/Collins (Scotland/Ireland)

Offline Desert Girl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 04 February 09 17:52 GMT (UK) »
Fantastic!!
Thank you so much.

Offline sandlid

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 03 June 12 07:20 BST (UK) »
Hi all

Would anyone happen to have an early photo of Faraday Place?   I've found one in a West Lothian Courier article from 1967 however when I try to enlarge it, it goes all pixelated and I can't seem to fix it.

Many thanks
Sandy