Author Topic: Lavenham, Suffolk  (Read 16603 times)

Offline B Steve

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Lavenham, Suffolk
« Reply #18 on: Friday 08 May 15 12:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Melfordgal

I have just cracked the mystery, Francis (Frank) snell was bap. 21 Jan 1844 Long Melford to Sarah Snell. In 1851, aged 7 he was a visitor in the household of Elijah Otley and his hosekeeper, Susan Andrews, aged 54 (b.Lavenham). He was aged 17 and with the same people in 1861 Census, but described as grandson.

Looking at Ray Long's Cosford Database, there was a Susan Snell bap.23 Oct 1797 Lavenham who had a daughter, Sarah Snell, bap.2 July 1821 at Lavenham (which fits the age in 1851 and 1861 Censuses) Susan went on to marry James Andrews at Lavenham, 21 June 1824. Susan's parents were Thomas Snell and Margaret Church who were married in 1792 at Lavenham, and so far I haven't connected Thomas to my family of Snells.

So the Sarah bap.1816 is not your ancestor.

I found that Albert Clover's mother was a Harriet Raynham, who appears in my records, but we can't prove that Albert was Ruth's father, so Harriet may not be your actual ancestor.

Regards, Steve

Offline Melfordgal

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 21 January 16 16:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi Steve B,
Sorry for the long delay but haven't been able to spend time on my family tree for ages. I just wanted to thank you for all your help with the Snells of Lavenham. You were absolutely right, I was on the wrong track! Have now adjusted the tree to include Sarah Ann Snell b1821, mother Susan Snell b 1797, daughter to Thomas Snell b 1762.
Sadly haven't been able to get any further with the family, so if you know of any one else on this line, I'd be happy to chat to them.
Thanks again,
Melfordgal!!

Offline shan166

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 26 September 20 09:39 BST (UK) »
I have a lot of info on the risbys of Lavenham going back to 1667 which includes Snell and Day spouses l need to get further back if l can help anyone or they can help me please contact me