Author Topic: Ancestry help  (Read 3296 times)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Ancestry help
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 09 July 08 17:09 BST (UK) »
Found Channcey Gillespie born 1878 1904 Liverpool England to New York on FindMyPast.
Went to Ellis Island and found:
Chaunery M. Gillespie age 25 residence Belfast single on "Oceanic" arriving 14 Sept.1904 from Liverpool, England. Going to brother Thomas Gilleslie at 1520 Cliff St. Pittsburg but occupation (hard to read) looks like Mill? __ Labourer.

If this is Chauncey found in other records occupation doesn't make sense and now there's this brother Thomas Gillespie to worry about!

Am about ready to tear my hair out here.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 06 August 08 20:02 BST (UK) »
Have just verified that Chauncey Marshall Gillespie is a son of Rev. Robert Gillespie and brother was Thomas Watters Gillespie. Rev. Gillespie married Catherine Watters, daughter of Elizabeth Marshall Clendinning (she was connected to Chauncey) which explains where Chauncey Marshall Gillespie got his name.

Offline iaboy825

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 11 May 18 18:19 BST (UK) »
What year did Thomas and Catherine get married?  I have a Thomas Watters in my tree.

Offline eileenwilson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 11 May 18 18:38 BST (UK) »
The outbound passenger record from the UK for Chauncey Gillespie indicates he is a student, noted as aged 26, and a foreigner.  The line is struck out so looks like he did not sail on the Baltic on August 24, 1904.

Offline IJDisney

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 11 May 18 20:21 BST (UK) »
Chauncey Marshall Gillespie appears in the Annual Report of the Indiana State Board of Medical Registration and Examination for 1911, listed at Whiting, Indiana.

He also appears in the Illinois State Board of Health's official register of legally qualified physicians, for March 1915.

I did a newspaper search on findmypast, and found Chauncey M Gillespie lots of times in the Hammond Lake County Times paper, connected to Whiting. The earliest seems to be 05 July 1907, wherein he is taking part in the South Shore Country club's roko contest (I have no idea what roko is). Other articles say he was a student at the Bennett Medical School, Chicago in 1909, and graduated from there in May 1910, and had previously attended Edinburgh university for 4 years. A report in 1913 says he used to practice in Whiting, had gone to West Town New York, but was now (18 March 1913) returning to Whiting, and setting up an office at the home of his wife's parents, Mr & Mrs J Blesen, 621 New York Avenue.

Offline IJDisney

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 11 May 18 20:29 BST (UK) »
Just found a whole bio about him in "The History of Tulsa, Oklahoma, Volume 3" by Clarence B. Douglas, 1921 (available free to read on archive books). It reads;

CHAUNCEY M. GILLESPIE, M. D.

Tulsa has a long list of capable physicians, men whose thorough training well qualified them for the active and responsible duties of the profession and in this connection Chauncey M. Gillespie is well known, becoming a resident of Tulsa in 1918. He was born in Belfast, Ireland, May 4, 1879, his parents being Robert and Katherine (Watters) Gillespie, both of whom were natives of the beautiful
Emerald isle, where the father was a missionary of the Presbyterian church. He went abroad in missionary work, spending thirty-five years in India. Both he and his wife have passed away, leaving a family of eight children.

Dr. Gillespie of this review pursued his education in a boarding school of London, England, and later in the University of Edinburgh. Coming to the United States in 1904, and wishing to enter upon a professional career he finished at Loyola University of Chicago and won his M. D. degree in 1910, having devoted four years to medical studies. Since February, 1918, he has resided in Tulsa, where he has gained a large general practice.

On July 4, 1910, Dr. Gillespie was married to Miss Alexis F. Bisen of Whiting, Indiana. They are members of the Holy Family Roman Catholic church. Dr. Gillespie is identified with the Knights of Columbus. He was secretary of the board of health at Whiting, Indiana, when America entered the World war and volunteered for service but was not accepted. He belongs to the Tulsa County, Oklahoma State and American Medical Associations.

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 11 May 18 20:51 BST (UK) »
Did Chauncey die in 1952 do you know?

There is an image of a gravestone on Find a Grave - BUT it reads;
Dr Chauncey N. Gillespie
In Loving Memory
1880 - 1952

This burial stone is at Saint Joseph Valley Memorial Park, Granger, St. Joseph County, Indiana, United States of America.

If it is the correct Chauncey - then his middle initial is incorrect for all eternity!

Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 25 May 18 21:16 BST (UK) »
This was an old topic and I had discovered much more on the family since 2008 but do appreciate the replies.

What year did Thomas and Catherine get married?  I have a Thomas Watters in my tree.
Catherine Watters married Rev. Robert Gillespie in 1868. Her father Rev. Thomas Watters married Elizabeth Marshall Clendinning in 1835. Quite a few other named Thomas in the family but none married a Catherine as far as I know.

Chauncey did die in 1952 and the bronze grave marker has middle initial as N rather than M  :-\

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 26 May 18 11:41 BST (UK) »
I hadn't realised it was such an old topic --- and just followed up from the thread which I have now realised was added to in May this year! 10 years later.

One of the names must have been 'googled' by Iaboy825 -- and hence re-started the discussion.

You never know when a query may be resurrected do you!
Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.