Author Topic: Cameron - Munro, Urquhart, Black Isle  (Read 11190 times)

Offline dmackenzie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Cameron - Munro, Urquhart, Black Isle
« Reply #18 on: Monday 14 July 08 04:37 BST (UK) »
I've got the gorse out of my pocket and located the death certificate of Christian/Christina Urquhart (nee Cameron) on SP.

d. 19/4/1856. Father: Duncan Cameron, spirit dealer(deceased). Mother: Ann Munro (deceased).

Duncan may possibly have been involved with the distillery that was on the Black Isle at about that time?

Darryl
MacKenzie, Stewart, McKay, Baxter

Offline Alasdairmac21

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 04 September 17 14:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Darryl,

Sorry to resurrect this old topic, but I believe it may be relevant to my own family. My g-grandmother Jamesina was a Cameron from the Black Isle. She is a descendant of a Duncan Cameron from Balnabeen, who married Hellen Munro in 1777. I wondered if what you suggested might be true, that the same Duncan Cameron married two Munro sisters. Have you discovered anymore regarding this?

My line goes as follows...

i. Duncan Cameron of Balnabeen m. Hellen Munro on 17 Apr 1777

ii. Ann Cameron b. 19 Jan 1783 - d. 22 Dec 1865 at Knocknafanaig (Unmarried)

iii. Margaret Bisset of Knocknafanaig b. 7 Dec 1812 ("bastard daughter to Evan Bisset in Bogbuie and to Ann Cameron in Wellhouse") m. John Cameron of Newton on 22 Feb 1839

- John Cameron was born in Lochalsh (not a Black Isle Cameron) Abt. 1818 according to census data, but I can't find a death cert for him even though he was still alive when Margaret died on 9 Jan 1895 at Woodside, Ferintosh

iv. John Cameron b. Abt. 1847 at Knocknafanaig m. Anne MacDonald b. 22 Dec 1854, at the Free Church Manse of Urquhart in 10 Jan 1879

v. Jamesina Cameron b. 11 Apr 1896 at Garguston, Killearnan m. Alexander MacDonald on 3 Dec 1920 at Mulbuie Glebe

Do you still think this could be the same Duncan Cameron?

Cheers,
Alasdair

Offline dmackenzie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 04 September 17 21:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Alasdair
Sorry, I haven't. My dad has done a lot with the family tree in the last few years, but focused on the MacKenzie line. I can check to see if he's done anything with the Cameron line.
Cheers
Darryl
MacKenzie, Stewart, McKay, Baxter

Offline Iain_Cameron

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 02 February 22 23:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi,  may be able to help with some of the details here that Alistairmac21 is missing:

John Cameron married to Margaret Bisset died 1900, age on death cert given as 71, mother maiden name was Martin, but this isn't consistent with the census data.

John and Annie had more children than Jamesina, Donald b1879, John b~1883, Maggie b~1888 and Annie b1893

I hope this helps
Regards
Iain

Offline Alasdairmac21

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 07 February 22 22:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi Iain,

Thank you for your response. I had located John's death since I posted that, but appreciate your assistance nonetheless.

Alasdair

Offline Iain_Cameron

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 07 February 22 23:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi Alasdair,

You're welcome, John was my great grandfather, but with so many named John Cameron, identifying the correct one can be difficult!

Regards Iain