Author Topic: wybunbury churchyard  (Read 21251 times)

Offline thor

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: wybunbury churchyard
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 09 July 08 22:52 BST (UK) »
Hi peter

off the top of my head the main ones (that I am searching for at the moment) are patience brereton/galley 1844-1853, levi galley/brereton 1837-1844, harriet brereton/galley 1838-1839, martha 1839.  These are the main ones.  It's confusing with the surnames as we have always assumed the family name was galleyand it has only been this last week that we found that they had been using the name brereton as well.

There are a couple of breretons and galley stones but nothing like the amount you would expect and none are the relevant ones.

If they are registered in the wybunbury parish is this where they would be buried?  They actually lived in shavington/wybunbury/bridgemere/stapeley/walgherton areas. ::)

Offline Jayson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 10 July 08 16:50 BST (UK) »
Hi thor

Shavington, Bridgemere, Stapeley etc are all townships in Wybunbury parish so if they were living in any of those places it is more than likely that they would have ended up in the churchyard there,  unless of course they had had connections with another parish.

Some effort is being made to tidy the old churchyard up.  I was down there a couple of weeks ago and it looks so much better than it did, & I can now access the burial places of my ancestors without being stabbed to death by thorns.

Wybunbury parish church as you may now know was demolished in about 1776. This is why some of the stones appear to be scattered around in a haphazard fashion.  Some of the stones no doubt were originally inside the church.  An ancestor of mine back in the 1880s made a detailed description of the position of all the family headstones, which have evidently been moved at some point as they are now situated in a completely different place

Jayson
"This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Offline molliedog

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 07 August 08 04:03 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I am wondering if some of you may be able to help me. I am trying to trace the graves of the Sillitoe family most of whom died during the 1700's and early 1800's in Walgherton (most were born in Wybunbury). Do you think they could be here, and have you possibly come across some of their graves in your travels to the churchyard?
Any help would be greatly appreciated,
Kristy

Offline mshrmh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 07 August 08 09:54 BST (UK) »
Kristy - a start would be to search on the Cheshire parish register site
http://www.csc.liv.ac.uk/~cprdb/
It's a bit different from most search sites, so in case you haven't come across it here's some basics (apologies & please skip if you have used it). The link should take you to the "Database" page - as you're looking for burials select that, which takes you to another page - there you can either use the drop down to pick an individual parish, or leave it on "all parishes"  - then just put in the surname & submit. The results then are show in a table. The "dated" field is the date in the format yyymmdd - eg 31 January 1799 would be shown as 7990131 - otherwise it's a case of clicking on individual entries for any further information.

There's 41 Sillitoes listed - mainly Wynbunbury & Nantwich, so you may be in luck.

Offline molliedog

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 08 August 08 00:06 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that. Sorry I should have been a bit clearer.
I have actually found most of them on that site, and looked at the details. Most died at Walgherton, but I dont think there was a church there, so I thought they may have been buried in Wybundury, as that is the parish the deaths are listed in. I was wondering if anyone had come across any Sillitoe headstones in their travels in that churchyard???

Offline mshrmh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 08 August 08 09:01 BST (UK) »
kristy - if they're listed as Wynbunbury that is the burial register & therefore churchyard they're in to the best of my knowledge. Perhaps someone would be able to look for them on a visit - a new thread requesting this may help.

Offline Pepsi62

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 13 August 08 22:27 BST (UK) »
I have been to Wybunbury today and there is a new project started to tidy up the graveyard and to transcribe the memorials - this includes unearthing any buried headstones.
It is in its early days but already quite a number have been uncovered - this project is clearly going to help us all a lot.
Thor - I did notice a number of Breretons but I hadn't got your list with me - it may worth you having a look yourself.

Peter
Nantwich: Davies, Houlding, Bebbington, Grocott
CHS: Dentith, Haynes, Hollinshead, Thornhill, Ford
STS: Houlding, Bayley, Denny, Byatt, Fairbanks

Offline thor

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 14 August 08 09:41 BST (UK) »
thanks peter
I will definately have a look ;D

Offline Wybunbury Man

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: Wybunbury Churchyard
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 04 October 08 18:25 BST (UK) »
I have been to Wybunbury today and there is a new project started to tidy up the graveyard
Peter

A small group of men from Wybunbury have taken it on themselves to tidy up the old Churchyard, they are there most Saturday mornings.  This is a local initiative and they are all volunteers but do not have any funds.  They have had some materials donated and St Chad's church in Wybunbury has also offered some financial assistance but the church has limited resources.  So if anyone with relatives buried in Wybunbury Churchyard would like to make a donation towards its upkeeep it would be gratefully accepted by the group.