Author Topic: Browne Islandmagee  (Read 35893 times)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Browne Islandmagee
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 22 January 09 16:38 GMT (UK) »
Yes, you are correct about Samuel of Balloo being 21 in the census- I'd put 17 as his age but it searches a preset range rather than exact age.
Is there a seaman section on 1911 Irish census? If so it's not online yet (only Antrim, Down, Dublin, Kerry).
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline ernestjames

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 22 January 09 17:34 GMT (UK) »
Sorry.I was referring to the English 1911 census which should cover merchant seamen in English ports
Irish merchant seamen in Great War period. CR10 cards 1918-21. RNR records of Irish born seamen.

Offline dbrowne

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 27 January 09 22:50 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for all the research, some very interesting material which I've never seen before.

"1911 Mullaghdoo (Island Magee): Samuel Browne 60 farmer, wife Ellen Jane Browne 61 married 35 years 11 children 9 living, daughters Isabella 29, Agnes 28 (should read 23), Sarah 20, Elizabeth 18."

The two children who died were Samuel (1883-1884/5) who was still being talked about by his 95 year old mother on her deathbed, and Ellen Jane ('Nellie') (1879-1905) who died of Meningitis.  The oldest daughter was Abigail (1878-?). Her husband was James McLernon, an engine fitter from Eden. She is buried in Carrickfergus.

Isabella remains the most unknown (to me) of the sisters ... until tonight I had never been able to find her birthdate, all I know is that she married a Tom McLernon and had two children, one of whom emigrated to Canada. I asked Sally, the last of the eleven children, back in 1984, and sadly she could not remember anything about her.

My grandfather Samuel Browne (b.18-1-1885) served in the merchant navy during both wars. His ship Aracataca was torpedoed in the Atlantic in 1940. Below is a newspaper clipping -which misspells both his name and the ship's name - describing his rescue.

("Annie Browne 60 widow married 31 years 7 children 7 living sons James 27, Thomas H. 24, Samuel 21 (railway clerk), Charles 17" is no relation as far as I know.)

Offline dbrowne

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 27 January 09 23:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi Hana,

Another photo for you. This shows Samuel Browne around 1941 after his rescue in Canada - with his wife Charlotte and sons Stanley (in the army uniform), Norman (the second oldest, who joined the RAF soon after), and at the front Gordon (my father), and Arthur.

To answer your questions, I've never heard if Arthur Browne (Samuel Browne OBE's oldest brother) had an MBE. He had no children, but left a wife Mary Kane who died in 1976. She lived within a mile or so of Bayview.

It is odd that Samuel senior (1850-1912) was never mentioned and there were no photos. I have no idea where the photo in the Islandmagee seafarers book came from. It was credited to my uncle Arthur, but he was as surprised as me to see it.

"When Grandad was over in the war he went to a ball at Trinity College in Dublin with Gordon and Norman." I'll ask Norman next time I give him a call. I doubt if Gordon attended a ball, as he was only a child during the war. It may have been Stanley.

Offline ernestjames

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 20 February 09 22:54 GMT (UK) »
The Annual Service for Seamen is being held at Islandmagee Methodist Church this Sunday 22 Feb at 7pm. To mark this event there is a photographic exhibition 'Faces from the Past' which show 60 Islandmagee seamen from the 1918-21 period. The four Browne brothers are there. Other surnames include Dick, Hawthorne, Hamilton & Kane plus 3 generations of the Nickle family from Magheramorne.
The exhibition is open from 2-6pm on Sat & Sun 21/22 Feb
Irish merchant seamen in Great War period. CR10 cards 1918-21. RNR records of Irish born seamen.

Offline Hana

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 22 February 09 01:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi David,

This is the only other picture I have of my Browne's taken around the time the moved to Australia.  It's pretty cool that there is an annual service for seaman on Islandmagee - I'll have to try and be over there one year to go it it, it's  a shame that it's so far.

Hana

Offline diddly_dee

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Friday 27 March 09 11:04 GMT (UK) »
hi there Hana, im a local from islandmagee. live close to some Hawthorne that r distant relatives of yours. This site should get u everything u need. complete hawthorne family tree. even mentiones family members that emigrated to new zealand and australia.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/derek.hawthorne/my%20family%20tree.html

hope this gets ur everything u need.

Offline Slohaw

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday 20 May 09 00:53 BST (UK) »
I have transcribed the 1911 Census for Islandmagee, County Antrim. There are very many mistakes Transcribing the National Archives Dublin, although it was good to have what was done.

I have corrected most of the mistakes, although there were a few which I just could not make out what they were. The detail is on an EXCEL worksheet and takes about a minute or so to load. There is a link to download a viewer for those who do not have EXCEL installed on their computer. The link to my website :-

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/derek.hawthorne/

Good luck

Derek

Offline tommy heggan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday 09 November 10 21:52 GMT (UK) »
Hello Hana.

My name is Tommy Heggan, I live close to Islandmagee, Co Antrim and we have a common past. I note that this forum has not been used in a while and am asking if you wish to continue?