Author Topic: Browne Islandmagee  (Read 35897 times)

Offline helenar

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Browne Islandmagee
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 13 July 08 02:22 BST (UK) »
Hi

BROWNE   JOHN HILL   1921   SAMUEL   Antrim
PHILLIPS   RUTH   1921   WILLIAM   Antrim
http://www.ancestryireland.com/index.php

Samuel and William are their fathers names

Helena

Offline J.A.M.

• RootsChat Senior
  • Pte. Alexander McCalmont C.E.F. 1916
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 01 August 08 17:40 BST (UK) »
Hana,

You may also want to Google the history of Brown's Bay, Islandmagee. It may be a long shot but the bay could be named for your Brown(e) family.

Good hunting.

J.A.M.
Islandmagee, County Antrim, Ireland

Offline scarletmill

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 01 August 08 21:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Hana,

My mother was reared in that area and used to work in the Power station with a Thomasina Brown from Ferris's  Bay Islandmagee - her husband was Norman. He would have been born in the 1930's. Islandmagee really isn't that big but does have an infamous sea faring history which you can see in lots of places, apart from new housing developments shooting up the original layout is still the same. The 1st Presbyterian church is over 400yrs old and its graveyard is about 250 yrs. I live near Larne so I'll try to  pop over to St Johns 1st Presbyterian tomorrow or Sunday and see if there is a  Brown/e plot, I'll also check for  Hawthorne and Hill. Mum also has a full cemetery listing book for the New Islandmagee cemetery which she says she'll check  for me, it opened in 1925.  Fingers crossed.

June
McClinton, Boyd, McCreight (Belfast, Templepatrick , Carmoney and Killead/Ballyhill Townlands),
McMullan, McGurk, McLeister, Taylor, Glass, McKillop, McCaughern (Rasharkin, Dunloy and Portglenone - Tamlaght)
Harrison, Stafford, Plunkett (Tyrone and Armagh)
Coulter/Coalter, Foster (Fermanagh)
Lougheed, Gibson (Co.Cavan)
McVeigh, Edgar (Belfast and Co.Down)
Shannon (Co.Monaghan)

Offline Hana

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 12 August 08 21:32 BST (UK) »
Hi June,

That would be great if you get the time.  I have a Norman Browne in the the family tree but he appears to have been born around 1921 though that could easily be wrong.  Don't know much else about him except his parents were Samuel Browne OBE and Charlotte Dagwell.  I don't know what his wife was called.  It would interesting to know if this is the same person as the Norman that your mother worked with.

Many thanks,
Hana

Offline scarletmill

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 13 August 08 20:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Hana,

I really am sorry but I haven't managed to get over to St Johns yet as the weather has truly been awful but in regards to the folk that you mentioned in your mail - they are buried in the New Cemetery in Islandmagee for which I have the listings for.

Grave B52-53

Browne

In loving memory of Charlotte Browne who died 6/4/1941 aged 52 years.
Captain Samuel Browne OBE born 18/1/1885, passed away 30/12/1951. Also thyeir youngest son Gordon E Browne LTCL died 10/2/1967 aged 34 years.

( Charlotte - married )
( Samuel - master mariner )
( Gordon - music teacher )
Elmdene, Cable Road, Whitehead

I promise that I'll send the other details when I can.

Happy hunting

June
McClinton, Boyd, McCreight (Belfast, Templepatrick , Carmoney and Killead/Ballyhill Townlands),
McMullan, McGurk, McLeister, Taylor, Glass, McKillop, McCaughern (Rasharkin, Dunloy and Portglenone - Tamlaght)
Harrison, Stafford, Plunkett (Tyrone and Armagh)
Coulter/Coalter, Foster (Fermanagh)
Lougheed, Gibson (Co.Cavan)
McVeigh, Edgar (Belfast and Co.Down)
Shannon (Co.Monaghan)

Offline stevenson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Sarah Twig Jr in 1950
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 05 October 08 19:52 BST (UK) »
Hana

Cat Samuel Brown OBE married Charlotte Dagwell

father was Capt Charles Dagwell of Whitehead.
who died 1936 and worked for Ireland and Porters his father was Hugh and he had a son Hugh...a sea loving family ;D

Samuel worked for Elders and Fyffe

Children
Arthur married Mary Kane
Stanley married Mary McIlroy
Norman went to Canada

Buried in Islandmagee New

Thats all I could find

Steve
<br /><br />Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline dbrowne

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 19 October 08 20:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Hana,

I think I can help you with information on the Brownes of Islandmagee.

My father was Gordon Browne, who died in 1967. That would make John Hill Browne my great uncle.
I was aware that he had married someone called Ruth, and emigrated to Australia, but know few other details, except that he had a son called Jack who met up with my Browne uncles during WW2.

There were a lot of master mariners in the family. Andrew Brown (of Kilton Lane, Islandmagee) is the first I know of. He died at sea some time in the 1850s, leaving a widow Agnes (Nancy) Heggan (1830-1916), and two children - Samuel (1850-1912) and Agnes (1853-1909).

Samuel married Ellen Jane Hawthorne and lived at Bayview, Town Lane, Islandmagee where they had eleven children no less...
Andrew (1877-1960) - Abigail (b.1878) - Ellen Jane,  called 'Nellie' on her tombstone (1879-1905) - Samuel (1883-1885) - Samuel (master mariner and my grandfather, 1885-1951) - Isabella ('Belle') (b.1881) - Arthur (another master mariner, 1886 -1931, who married Mary Kane as mentioned in a previous answer) - Agnes (1888 -1972) - Elizabeth Mary (1892-1974) - Sarah Hawthorne 'Sally' (1890-1985) - John Hill (1894 -1938).

My grandfather moved to Whitehead after marrying Charlotte Dagwell (from another seagoing family), and had four boys: Stanley (who married Primrose Wilson), Norman (born 1921, who did indeed go to Canada, but moved to New York around 1950. He is still living there, and is unmarried), Arthur (master mariner), and Gordon. Arthur died two years ago, the last Browne in Whitehead. He was unmarried.

Norman Brown from Ballylumford Power Station is no relation, although I believe the family surname was changed from Brown to Browne within the last 200 years. Also, Brown's Bay has no family connection, although I went swimming there a lot as a child!

The majority are buried in the old and new cemeteries in Islandmagee. Abigail is buried in Carrickfergus.

I'm sure we have lots more information to compare.

The old lady in the photograph is John Hill Browne's mother Ellen Jane Browne - nee Hawthorne (1849-1945), your great great grandmother.

Offline Hana

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 30 November 08 04:30 GMT (UK) »
How exciting!  I think you're my second cousin once removed (Jack's my grandfather).

We really don't know very much about the Irish side as my grandfather's family emigrated when he was about 4.  Just odd bits that my grandfather has told us.  I have a news paper obituary about Samuel Browne OBE who must be your grandfather?  That my grandfather had kept and a picture of the Verbena which was where my great grandfather starting sailing with your grandfather (Samuel Browne).  I know that there were possibly a couple of unmarried Aunts who lived in Islandmagee and died maybe in the 70's (Sally, Aggie and Lizzy?) who lived at "the big house"  which I assume is Bayview.  Does the house still exist? 

I think the Australian Browne's and the Northern Irish Browne's didn't really have much contact once my grandfather and his parent's immigrated.

It's wonderfull to see a picture off Ellen - I don't think we have any pictures before their arrival in Australia so the whole family and their life is a bit of a mystery.

I would love to hear / see more!

Hana  ;D

Offline helenar

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 30 November 08 04:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi

That is exciting you have found each other, you both dont have a lot of post to date and to send a PM to each other a Personal Message to leave your email address which no one else will see you might need to have more posts.

I am not sure how many posts you need but I have found out you need a few to send a PM