Author Topic: Russell Hall, and Sedgley Hall. Sutton Dudley & Jevon families.  (Read 2662 times)

Offline mew64

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Russell Hall, and Sedgley Hall. Sutton Dudley & Jevon families.
« on: Thursday 10 July 08 13:06 BST (UK) »
I have been trying to find out about Russell Hall, which is where some ancestors of ours were born, going back several generations.
I have been told that it was near Dudley. Eleanor Sutton Dudley was born there in 1653.  She  married Richard Attwood 1647 - 1715. These are direct ancestors of ours, so I am really interested to find anything  possible about them.
Also, Sedgley Hall, which was the birth place of  Eleanors' mother, Eleanor Jevon, born 1618. I understand that Sedgley Hall was the Jevon family home for several generations.
I haven't been able to find out where it was yet.
Any information would be great. Many thanks.

Offline grubheam

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Russell Hall, and Sedgley Hall. Sutton Dudley & Jevon families.
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 10 July 08 13:50 BST (UK) »
Russells Hall Hospital on Pensnetts Rd in Dudley see map on google - I googled the work "Russell Hall Dudley" and for Sedgley Hall is now a farm near DUdley as well - googled that too.

Hope its helps.
Gallop / Gallop of Mid & East Dorset & Bournemouth area
Grubheam of Herefordshire
Luker of Abingdon, Berkshire & Tunbridge Wells, Kent
Dwight of Middlesex & London

Offline grubheam

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 10 July 08 13:53 BST (UK) »
I also googled "Jevon Family" - a lots come up - seems there are lots of research going on!!

:D

Offline grubheam

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 10 July 08 13:59 BST (UK) »
Again I also type "Eleanor Sutton Dudley" on google - someone did the family tree link with her names. SHe married to Henry Beaumont?? and her birthplace was Dudley.

Offline mew64

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 10 July 08 14:49 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for your help, yes there is a lot of research going on with this side of the family, we have found some very exciting links!

Offline Harry Brown

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 25 April 17 08:48 BST (UK) »
Hi, I know your original post was a few years ago but I only just came across it.  I moved at the age of five in Caswell Road Sedgley Hall Estate in Sedgley with my family. The year was 1960, behind our houses stood the derelict Sedgley Hall, at the time Caswell Road had 12 houses, the rest of Caswell Road, Ridegeway and Westridge were not built for around 8 years or so, which pushed Caswell Road through to Gospel End Road. Sedgley Hall stood round about where Ridgeway is today, the rest of the area in 1960 was the gardens of the hall. Hope this helps pinpoint where the hall stood. I believe it was made into apartments at some point though it was a rather derelict building which we could see easily from the garden of numbers 2 to 12 Caswell Road, it being nearest to number 12, as a child it seemed rather spooky with broken windows and flapping curtains!