Author Topic: Vic BMD - Tingman  (Read 8929 times)

Offline benzon

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Vic BMD - Tingman
« on: Wednesday 09 July 08 16:45 BST (UK) »
Hi there

I am in the UK so a little green to all this Oz stuff.  Can anyone tell me what sort of information the BMD indexes reveal on the online.justice.vic.gov.au site.

I have just resolved a long standing family rumour that my grandfather's half sister went to Canada.  She married in Toronto in 1890 but in the process I believe several of her husband's siblings settled in Victoria and Tasmania.  It appears from the UK census that two siblings were actually born in Victoria, the family came back to the UK, but three siblings appear to have returned to Oz.  Family name is Tingman.  I have hit 22 matches on the site for the name Tingman but as this research is at its very early stages from the Oz point of view, I am wonder what I might glean from the indexes only.

Anyone also know whether if I pay with my UK card I am likely to incur currency exchange charges on the site.

Any assistance you more knowledgeable folk out there can give would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Denise
LAWRENCE - Gt Hormead, HUTCHIN - Albury, CARTER/CARTER CLAY - St Albans/Stanstead Abbotts, BURTON - Hoddesdon, WARD - Hunsdon, BEARD - Ware, LEE - Cripplegate/Glemsford

Offline benzon

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
TINGMAN
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 09 July 08 16:51 BST (UK) »
Anyone out there have the name Tingman in their family charts, probably Victoria and Tasmania.  James Edward Tingman had several siblings, some actually born in Oz 1850-1860, others in Birkdale, Lancs, UK late 1860-1871.  Particularly interested in Henry Havelock Tingman b Victoria about 1861, William Alexander Tingman b Lancs abt 1869 and Robert Tingman born Lancs about 1871.

Any leads or suggestions about finding them 1880s onwards much appreciated.  By the way, nothing obvious on ancestorsonboard.

Cheers
Denise
LAWRENCE - Gt Hormead, HUTCHIN - Albury, CARTER/CARTER CLAY - St Albans/Stanstead Abbotts, BURTON - Hoddesdon, WARD - Hunsdon, BEARD - Ware, LEE - Cripplegate/Glemsford

Offline troods

• RootsChat Veteran
  • my greatgrandma Dorcas Charlotte Hall
    • View Profile
Re: TINGMAN
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 09 July 08 22:07 BST (UK) »
HI Denise

Just had a quick look on the Vic Pioneer index for Tingman. Heres the following

Marriage of James Tingman to Sarah Elizabeth Walker 1854 Reg No2133

Children-
Mary Elizabeth 1855 Reg 3800 District S Yarra
James William 1857 Reg 5576 Gborne
Fran Isabella 1858 Reg 16583 Gisborne
Henry Havelock 1861 Reg 4494 Sandhurst
Louisa Jane 1862 Reg 18312 Wood
Will check later indexes for you.
Troods
Williams- Devon to Vic Oz;
Holmes - Donnegal to Vic Oz; Hall Westmoreland/Kent to Vic Oz;
Shipwash - Kent;
Edwards - Lambeth;
Nolan - Ireland;
Grady - Kerry to WA Oz;
Matson - Nova Scotia to SA Oz

Offline troods

• RootsChat Veteran
  • my greatgrandma Dorcas Charlotte Hall
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 09 July 08 22:18 BST (UK) »
From the Edwardian Index for Tingman

Deaths
Sarah Elizth  1909 aged 79 father Wm Walker mother Jane Blacklock death pl S Y Reg 10480
Mary Elizth 1911 aged 55 father Jas Tingman mother  Sarah Elizth Walker death pl Balwyn Reg 3785

Births
Dorothy Fran 1906 father Wm Alex mother Ada Honora Mckenzie Birth Plc S Yarra Reg 14010
Mary Elizabeth  1908 father Wm Alexander mother Ada Honora Mckenzie Birth Plc S Yarra Reg 22739

Troods
Williams- Devon to Vic Oz;
Holmes - Donnegal to Vic Oz; Hall Westmoreland/Kent to Vic Oz;
Shipwash - Kent;
Edwards - Lambeth;
Nolan - Ireland;
Grady - Kerry to WA Oz;
Matson - Nova Scotia to SA Oz

Offline benzon

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 09 July 08 22:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Troods

That's absolutely brilliant.  They are the family I am looking for.  Couldn't find a marriage in the UK so guessed it might have been Australia.  Found James Tingman on an unassisted passenger list to Victoria, aged 37 for Mar 1853.  Have the UK 71 census where he is a general agent.  Son Henry Havelock with grandfather, William Walker.

You are a star  ;D  Thank you so, so much.

Just picked up your further message whilst typing this.  Looks very interesting.  Thank you so, so much again and again and again.

Cheers
Denise

Offline tropicalj

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • six grandkids
    • View Profile
Re: Victoria BMDs
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 09 July 08 23:06 BST (UK) »
Hello there

Victorian certificate do  contain a lot of information

The Victorian system of registration is one of the best in the world, there is plenty of useful information on both the certificates and the indexes.

What you'll find on a Victorian certificate of birth, death or marriage:

Births
Date and place of birth; name of child and whether present or not; name of parents (including mother's maiden name); occupation of parents; ages and birthplace of parents; date and place of marriage of parents; previous children of their marriage noting living or deceased; signature, description and address of the person who gave the information; names of witnesses; date and place of registation.

Deaths
Date and place of death; name and surname; occupation of the deceased; sex and age; cause of death, duration of illness, medical attendant by whom certified and when he last saw deceased; name and surname of parents (if known) including mother's maiden surname; signature, description and address of the person who gave the information; signature of deputy registrar, date and where registered, when and where buried, undertaker whom certified; name and religion of Minister, or names of witnesses of burial; place of birth of the deceased and how long he or she resided in the Australian colonies or states (stating which), name of spouse, place of marriage, age at marriage; names and ages of children of the deceased.

Marriages
Date and place of marriage; name and surnames; conjugal condition, whether bachelor or spinster, widow or widower, stating date of decease of former wife or husband; children by each former marriage; birthplace; occupation; age; residence (present and usual); parent's names of each party (including mother's maiden name) and occupation of father; signatures of the parties and witnesses; signature of Minister. Prior to 1963 the date of termination of previous marriages of the parties is also shown.

If you  give us  the  names we can look up  the details up  the  BDM disc  to establish  the right family that will save you a  bit of money as you  will  have  the registration  numbers

You  must certainly  would  have  the currency converted  from Australian dollars to English pounds

regards JEnn
When you search for ancestors, you find great friends!
I live in Townsville researching
TOWNSEND,PINNEGAR, STRANGE, PULLEN, GRIFFIN from Wiltshire,,
SHOEBRIDGE, VINALL, BRINDLE, Kent
BAYLEY, Dorset,Yorkshire,
HAIR, Durham,
CUMMINS, BROWNLESS from Yorkshire,
EDSALL,  Cornwall,
MORGAN, HENNESSY, BAKER,  Ireland.
VAN REYK Sri Lanka
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.au

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 10 July 08 01:18 BST (UK) »
Many of us have the indexes on disk for the bdm's in Victoria....to saye you the cost of searching we could detail the names for you.

Is it your TINGMAN lot....I could pm them to you if you wish.  There are a number of registrations before your timeframe.

Some names may help ;D

Cheers
Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 10 July 08 01:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Denise,
http://www.archives.tas.gov.au

Look for Family links index and type in your name.
You will see3 Tingmans..
One of them is William ALexander T. b. 1868 who married Ada Honora  Mckenzie in 1898.

There were children, though I have not the resources to tell you all their details, but one was named Jack Kenneth T. and was born in 1899.
I found his service history digitised on the National Archives search site.  By 1915 when he enlisted, with Ada as Next of Kin, the home address was in Malvern Victoria. You can read a letter from Ada asking the AIF that h be present with the family  for Xmas!

There is another boy enlisting too named ROy McKenzie T. Also mother ADA is NOK.

It looks as if they did not stay in Tasmania all their lives and as yo say, chn. will have been born in Vic.

Others will give you much more specific material, but I hope you enjoy these bits for a start.
http://www.naa.gov.au

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 10 July 08 02:31 BST (UK) »
There are two children born in Vic to this couple but was waiting for Denise's response with the TINGMAN names.

Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk