Author Topic: John Scott and Elizabeth Low  (Read 16253 times)

Offline Lib Windram

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Scott and Elizabeth Low
« on: Saturday 12 July 08 13:37 BST (UK) »
John Scott sr, born 1775, Tyrie, and his son John Scott jr born 17 Mar 1802 , emigrated to Canada, after the death of John sr's first wife Elizabeth Low died.
They both became well established farmers and citizens of the town of Brampton, Ontario . Both married and had 10 children each. Their lives are well documented in Canada.

What isn't mentioned in the Canadian archives, is the fact that 2 younger children, William and George , were left behind in Tyrie, to be brought up by relatives.

William married Janet Watt, George married Ann Tarvas.

John Scott sr 1775 , is recorded as having been a manufacturer in Aberdeenshire.

I would love to chat with anyone descended from the 2 forgotten boys who were left behind

Offline Piglet01

• Email address not working please contact support
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: John Scott and Elizabeth Low
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 12 July 08 19:16 BST (UK) »
Hello Lib

An uncle descends from Scotts in Tyrie at the same period - but can see no link to your line - probably a common name in the area at the time? .  I've just come off of www.rootsweb.com and see that there was a also a sister left behind who did not marry.  Did you post the tree there ?  :O)
Regards,   Steve  :O)

Offline Lib Windram

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 12 July 08 19:35 BST (UK) »
Hello

Yes there was a sister too,  and no, my tree is posted on Genereunited.  I have been talking with one of the Canadian Scotts, who may well have posted with rootsweb.

I shouldn't be bitter about the forgotten 3 children, because I wouldn't have eventually met my husband (who's mother was a Scott)

I'd searched and searched to find a death for John Scott sr in Aberdeenshire, and finally gave up. Only when I was contacted by the Scott from Canada, did I find out that he was buried in Bampton of all places. I would never have though of looking for him there!

I haven't been able to contact any other of the Scotts who were left behind, and would love to know if there's a bit more to the story.

Lib

Offline GenealogyGal

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 03 March 09 19:27 GMT (UK) »
If the John Scott who came to Canada as a widower was the same John Scott who married Elizabeth Low in Tyrie, Abd. then I am descended from him, as a great-great-granddaughter of his left-behind son George, great-granddaughter of George's son John Watt Scott (m Rebecca Duthie), and granddaughter of George's son John Scott who emigrated to Canada in 1877.  My father has living (age 100) first cousins in Pitsligo, Abd and they were only vaguely aware that their uncle lived in Canada and even less aware that an older generation ancestor may have left Scotland 80 years before that. 

It appears that the children left behind, namely George, William and Jane lived together Greenburn, Tyrie with Jane being old enough to be a surrogate mother to these two younger sons, but also with a maternal grandmother and an widowed aunt (m to Alexander Connon).  Jane had an illegitimate daugher by druggist John Middleton but she never married and had no other children.

Although I am unable to find the birth or baptism record for George, I do have his death certificate in which his parents are shown as John Scott and Lizzie Low.  In that record John is noted as having been a "militiaman". 

I would be very pleased to correspond further with you to establish these speculations.

Offline Lib Windram

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 06 March 09 19:37 GMT (UK) »
Hello.
At last, a contact. My husband, Jim, is descended from the other 2 brothers, Charles and William. Jim's great great grandparents were full cousins.
Can we go to email. We would love to hear more of the Pitsligo Scotts. I have a lot of information about the John Scotss ( father and son,) who emigrated, including old and new photgraphs of the houses that they built, ( still standing) Especially pleased to have an old photo of John Senior himself.
(*)
Looking forward to hearing from you.
Lib

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline phylina

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 03 October 09 22:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Lib,
I am descended from Charles Scott and Elizabeth Robb so guess I am another relation .Have just learned Charles parents from my cousin. I had Charles parents wrong for years  :( :-[ Oh dear, but anyway looks as though it is on the right track now. I am in NZ. I had it all right from Charles and Elizabeth Robb down though. :)

Offline sandie63

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 28 December 09 20:21 GMT (UK) »
I just thought I’d tell you about my links with New Pitsligo- I was born in Aberdeen and have lived in England since 1972, but Aberdeenshire will always be 'hame.'

We have links with John Scott, who may well be a relative of John/Elizabeth? My great-great gran was called Isabella Mutch- she was born in New Pitsligo in 1853, and had three children I know of- Nathaniel Mutch, born in 1881 at 73 Low Street, Margaret Cecilia Ann Rennie Mutch, born 1878 at 49 Low Street, and  Alexander Mutch, born in 54 Low Street in 1885. All were illegitimate, but I think paternity of Alec was later proved in Court...
Isabella’ s parents, from New Pitsligo, were Alexander Mutch, a ploughman, and Ann Clark.

Isabella  later married a farm labourer, John Scott, in 1890. Their address was given as 81 Low Street. She was 12 years his senior.

In the 1891 census, Isabella and John Scott were at 27 High Street. Also there were Isabella's children Margaret , (aged 12) and Alexander. (6). Nathaniel was at the Oakbank Industrial School in Aberdeen but later returned to New Pitsligo, only to die in the great War in 1916.

Isabella died at 8 High Street in 1938, aged 85. I would love to know who Nathaniel’s father was, as this would be our correct lineage- Nathaniel had his mum’s name, Mutch. Not sure when John Scott died as haven't got that far yet!

If any further light could be thrown on any of the above, would love to hear from anyone.
Originated in Aberdeen- Mutch. Researching Mutch, Scott and Hepburn, all Tyrie / New Pitsligo.

Also- McKnockiter (Buckie/Burghead/) and McLeod, (borne of McLeod/McRae,) Stornoway.

and...Mark and Bannerman (Huntly/Banff.)

Offline Lib Windram

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 28 December 09 21:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sandie.

I found the paternity of Nathaniel Mutch, on the 16 Jun 1882. He was William Hepburn, labourer in Pitsligo. I presume that Isabella had no children with John Scott.

Regards.

Lib

Offline sandie63

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 30 December 09 21:57 GMT (UK) »
That's great- how did you find out who Nathaniel's dad was Lib? And what is the significance of the 16th June 1882 date? Do you have any other information about William Hepburn, as he was my great-great grandad- I suppose that makes me a Hepburn really, not a Mutch- strange thought!

I will have to request to look at your tree at Genes Reunited. I don't think Isabella and John had children together.

Kind regards,
Sandie Mutch.
Originated in Aberdeen- Mutch. Researching Mutch, Scott and Hepburn, all Tyrie / New Pitsligo.

Also- McKnockiter (Buckie/Burghead/) and McLeod, (borne of McLeod/McRae,) Stornoway.

and...Mark and Bannerman (Huntly/Banff.)