Author Topic: John Scott and Elizabeth Low  (Read 16258 times)

Offline flst

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John Scott and Elizabeth Low
« Reply #9 on: Friday 19 March 10 15:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I read your post with interest as I too have Scott,Hepburn & Mutch lines in my research. I note that your Isabella named her son after her brother Nathanael Rennie Mutch born 2 May 1867, Lonmay. I found this out on the Mutch website. Please see the link below.
Regards,
flst
www.mutches.com/fl.php?fl=A019
TAYLOR, COBBAN, SCOTT, PATERSON, BARCLAY,  DUNCAN, SKENE, SIM, WOOD, STEPHEN, ROSE,  CUMINE, MORISON, GERRARD, PYPER, ANDERSON,  FARQUHAR, BURNET, THOMSON, DAVIDSON, BIRNIE,  STRACHAN, DEY, GERRIE, ROBERTSON, FINNIE, WYLLIE,STEPHEN,WILLOX,MICHIE,MARR,BRUCE, CLUBB,SLESSOR,CLARK, SIMPSON,HEPBURN,SINCLAIR,BEEDIE,FOWLIE, CLYNE,FINDLATER, JOHNSTON,BROCKIE,PARK, WATT,MACKIE,WALKER,YEATS,THIRD, BURD,EWAN,ARTHUR,AUCKLAND, MURDOCH,LOW, IRVINE,CHALMERS,BOYES, LYON,SMITH,ADIE, WATSON - ALL N.E.SCOTLAND.

Offline flst

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 19 March 10 16:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sandie, I'd a quick look through my notes on Hepburns. I have a William Hepburn,born 1834 in Gamrie, who was a farm servant. I have not followed him through the censuses but will look for him in 1881 to see if he was in the vicinity of New Pitsligo. Did you manage to get a birth certificate for Nathaniel? I'm wondering if his paternity details (that Lib posted) were from a RCE.
I did find a William Hepburn in the 1881 census. He was a farm labourer boarding at 33 Low Street, New Pitsligo, aged 20,( & also born in New Pitsligo). This rules out my relative who's nowhere to be seen! A pity we've no proof this is Nathaniel's father. Unless,of course, the same address is on a paternity claim.
Regards,
flst
TAYLOR, COBBAN, SCOTT, PATERSON, BARCLAY,  DUNCAN, SKENE, SIM, WOOD, STEPHEN, ROSE,  CUMINE, MORISON, GERRARD, PYPER, ANDERSON,  FARQUHAR, BURNET, THOMSON, DAVIDSON, BIRNIE,  STRACHAN, DEY, GERRIE, ROBERTSON, FINNIE, WYLLIE,STEPHEN,WILLOX,MICHIE,MARR,BRUCE, CLUBB,SLESSOR,CLARK, SIMPSON,HEPBURN,SINCLAIR,BEEDIE,FOWLIE, CLYNE,FINDLATER, JOHNSTON,BROCKIE,PARK, WATT,MACKIE,WALKER,YEATS,THIRD, BURD,EWAN,ARTHUR,AUCKLAND, MURDOCH,LOW, IRVINE,CHALMERS,BOYES, LYON,SMITH,ADIE, WATSON - ALL N.E.SCOTLAND.

Offline sandie63

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 20 March 10 19:08 GMT (UK) »
Thanks fslt- I didn't know who Nathaniel was nemed after, so that's interesting.

The info re: N's paternity was from and RCE- I don't have any info either than name and job- although maybe I need to have a closer look if you think the address may be on there- it's not a very clear copy. I have a feeling it was the 20 year old living in 33 Low Street as Isabella was living up the road at the same time- she was several years older than him, and it seems she liked younger men as she later married John Scott, also several years younger.!..so I don't think it was the other WH, who would have been much older, but I don't want to start following any line until I know for sure.

I'll keep digging and see if I come up with a definite- I may have to rely upon local gossip, and hope that the gossip has somehow survived with an older person still around.

I'm guessing John Scott was related to the other NP Scotts, but still looking into to that.

I'll have a look at the Mutch website as I didn't know about it.

Let me know if anything else comes up that may help me in my search for N's dad.

Many thanks for your replies,
Sandie.
Originated in Aberdeen- Mutch. Researching Mutch, Scott and Hepburn, all Tyrie / New Pitsligo.

Also- McKnockiter (Buckie/Burghead/) and McLeod, (borne of McLeod/McRae,) Stornoway.

and...Mark and Bannerman (Huntly/Banff.)

Offline flst

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 20 March 10 20:32 GMT (UK) »
Who were John Scott's parents? I'm assuming that you have his marriage certificate.
flst

Offline sandie63

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 16 January 11 21:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I read your post with interest as I too have Scott,Hepburn & Mutch lines in my research. I note that your Isabella named her son after her brother Nathanael Rennie Mutch born 2 May 1867, Lonmay. I found this out on the Mutch website. Please see the link below.
Regards,
flst
www.mutches.com/fl.php?fl=A019

You gave me the really helpful info/Mutch website some time ago- I am confident this is the family I am researching but was wondering why Isabella isn't listed as a child of Alexander and Ann on the link you gave me..any ideas?
Kind regards,
Sandie Mutch.
Originated in Aberdeen- Mutch. Researching Mutch, Scott and Hepburn, all Tyrie / New Pitsligo.

Also- McKnockiter (Buckie/Burghead/) and McLeod, (borne of McLeod/McRae,) Stornoway.

Offline flst

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 17 January 11 01:30 GMT (UK) »
On the link it states that the information came from the I.G.I. Is Isabella on it? Perhaps her father's name wasn't mentioned & the compiler would not have known which Mutch family to connect her to. You can email the webmaster with the information you have on her & he will be pleased to update the records on the Mutch website!
Regards,
flst 

Offline sandie63

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 23 January 11 19:37 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks- will update the webmaster.
Sandra.

Offline flst

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 02 February 12 20:10 GMT (UK) »
Who were John Scott's parents? I'm assuming that you have his marriage certificate.
flst
Hi, do you have this information yet?
regards,
flst.

Offline sandie63

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 05 February 12 20:51 GMT (UK) »
I do- many thanks. (Although John's dad is 'reputed' I think I'll go with that- James Scott/Jane McKenzie.)

However, still stuck on if the labourer lodging at 33 Low St in the 1881 census was my g. granda's dad...it says he was born in NP but there are no WH's listed at being born there 20 years or so previously- but there is one born in Pitsligo which would pretty much fit...the other 2 WH's in NP in 1881 were in their 70's, and 12, so I think I can rule them out!

I hope that someone has some family secret/folklore that will confirm Nath's paternity as I suspect this is the only way I can be certain!

Kind regards,
Sandie.