Author Topic: The Woodhouse, Temple Guiting?  (Read 23102 times)

Offline maggiefishblue

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
The Woodhouse, Temple Guiting?
« on: Sunday 13 July 08 09:51 BST (UK) »
Hi All,

I have a copy of a will for my great x5 grandfather which shows his abode at the time the will was drawn up in 1795 as the Woodhouse, Temple Guiting.

Does anyone know what the Woodhouse actually was please?  I wondered whether it was a house, farm, an area or something else.  It was suggested to me that it might have been a pub - but again I'm not sure.  My ancestor's occupation was recorded as a Gentleman - that is what led me towards a house.

I found another will on Genuki drawn up in 1815 again giving the abode as the Woodhouse - a different family from mine though.  I attempted to contact the person who put the will onto Genuki but my email was returned because the person no longer has that email address.

Any help will be much appreciated  :)

Maggie
I am researching: <br />~ Gamble, Hincks, Grewcock, Grant, Leeson, Wright - Leicestershire/Warwickshire<br />~ Bywater - Warwickshire, Cheshire, Staffordshire<br />~ Crisp, Smith, Dowdeswell, Griffin, Stayt/Stait/Staite, Carpenter, Blizzard/Blissard - Gloucestershire<br />~ Bladder, Carter - Worcestershire

Offline ChasH

• My email is no longer working sorry
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The fool Monty
    • View Profile
Re: The Woodhouse, Temple Guiting?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 13 July 08 11:54 BST (UK) »
Once upon a time one could freely download wonderful 100 year old maps drawn at 6 inches to the mile from http://www.old-maps.co.uk/  but those days are over.  However, if you go to the site and find the Temple Guiting map it's possible to search it if you do not mind how long it takes and have good eyesight :'(    Nowadays the maps have to be bought.

I've had a squint at the map and moved around a bit but saw nowhere named Woodhouse but you might be luckier.

You'll find it interesting anyway.

Regards

Chas

My email is no longer working sorry
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Bevstn:DAVIES:HIGGS:PERROT
Bisly:BROWN:COOK:CURTIS:DAVIS:FRANKLIN:GARDINER:GRIME:JEFFERIES:PEACEY:STEPHENS:WARREN
ChSod:HARDING:HIGGS
Colrne:GOLDEN
G Bad:DAVIES
Horsly:ADAMS:BAYLY:BIRD:COOK:EVANS:GAZARD:HILL:LEWIS:MATTHEWS:PRIDE:SKIRTON:TEAKLE:TURK:WALKLEY:YOUNG
K'St:BISHOP:PINEGAR
Marsh'd:BLAKE
Minch:HILL:MASON:PERRIN
N.Nib:PERROT:SHATFORD:WAYMAN:WOODWARD
N.Wrax:BLAKE

Offline maggiefishblue

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 13 July 08 13:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Chas,

Thank you for that - I managed to find Woodhouse by searching for Wooodhouse, Temple Guiting, it then said Woodhouse, Guiting Power, Temple Guiting; I pressed go and there it was  ;D

On the map it was Wood House.

I viewed it on about 6 separate maps and it looks to me like a house on a mostly wooded estate - although on the later maps the trees were fewer.

Thank you very much for your help - it's much appreciated  :)

Maggie
I am researching: <br />~ Gamble, Hincks, Grewcock, Grant, Leeson, Wright - Leicestershire/Warwickshire<br />~ Bywater - Warwickshire, Cheshire, Staffordshire<br />~ Crisp, Smith, Dowdeswell, Griffin, Stayt/Stait/Staite, Carpenter, Blizzard/Blissard - Gloucestershire<br />~ Bladder, Carter - Worcestershire

Offline ChasH

• My email is no longer working sorry
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The fool Monty
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 13 July 08 14:41 BST (UK) »
Glad to have assisted.

Noticed your GLS interests - not THE Smiths Crisps is it ;D

Chas - a smile a day keeps the blues away :)

P.S.

Bear in mid Wood House might be a number of residences or a small hamlet.  C
My email is no longer working sorry
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Bevstn:DAVIES:HIGGS:PERROT
Bisly:BROWN:COOK:CURTIS:DAVIS:FRANKLIN:GARDINER:GRIME:JEFFERIES:PEACEY:STEPHENS:WARREN
ChSod:HARDING:HIGGS
Colrne:GOLDEN
G Bad:DAVIES
Horsly:ADAMS:BAYLY:BIRD:COOK:EVANS:GAZARD:HILL:LEWIS:MATTHEWS:PRIDE:SKIRTON:TEAKLE:TURK:WALKLEY:YOUNG
K'St:BISHOP:PINEGAR
Marsh'd:BLAKE
Minch:HILL:MASON:PERRIN
N.Nib:PERROT:SHATFORD:WAYMAN:WOODWARD
N.Wrax:BLAKE

Offline maggiefishblue

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 13 July 08 15:19 BST (UK) »
not THE Smiths Crisps is it

Of course  ;D 

I also have the Bywater family marrying into the Bladder family  ;)

Bear in mid Wood House might be a number of residences or a small hamlet

I think that might be the case Chas - that would explain other folks giving Woodhouse as their address.

Offline StintonLomas

• RootsChat Senior
  • I'm a Cousin - are you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 13 July 08 19:25 BST (UK) »
Hi
If you look at the modern map on http://getamap.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/getamap/frames.htm you will find it still there and now called Manor House
Malmesbury- Bishop.
Gloucestershire-Bishop,Hicks,Higgs,Hill,Hooper,Hopkins,Pitcher,Robertson,Stinton,Terret,Woodruff.
Worcestershire-Stinton. 
Devon- Borrough or Burrow.

Offline maggiefishblue

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 14 July 08 08:09 BST (UK) »
Thank you for that - so this suggests that the Wood House was in fact a house rather than an area?

Do you know about when the name was changed please? Or where I can find out such information?

Thanks again,

Maggie  :)

Offline StintonLomas

• RootsChat Senior
  • I'm a Cousin - are you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 14 July 08 10:13 BST (UK) »
Hi
It might well be that the present owners/residents would be predisposed to sharing some of the history of their house with you if you write to them.
Many people are interested to learn more of the history of their old houses and you might have info they don't have.

If there is anyone on here who is local to the area (Sorry but I'm in Lancashire) they may be able to find out the current residents names from the electoral register, so a letter could then be addressed more peronally.
Malmesbury- Bishop.
Gloucestershire-Bishop,Hicks,Higgs,Hill,Hooper,Hopkins,Pitcher,Robertson,Stinton,Terret,Woodruff.
Worcestershire-Stinton. 
Devon- Borrough or Burrow.

Offline maggiefishblue

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 14 July 08 11:11 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the suggestion - I will begin a new posting in a while to see what comes up.

Maggie