Author Topic: Same family of Percivals in Longford and Leitrim  (Read 31213 times)

Offline linny1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Same family of Percivals in Longford and Leitrim
« on: Monday 14 July 08 13:54 BST (UK) »
How could two families seem to be in two counties at roughly the same time.  I have baptism of five children to John and Percival and Ann Rosemond in Clonguish Parish at Lissagernal..Alexander 1821,Elizabeth 1822,William 1824,Arthur 1828 and Eliza 1836.This was provided by Longford Genealogical society.
From the IGI (and I spoke to the man who extracted the records and sent them to the IGI..an American who was related to the Percival family)I found Alexander born 1822 son of John born Aughriman Co Leitrim and William born abt 1828 Aughriman Kiltoghert Leitrim, Elizabeth 1831 Aughriman too and Thomas.  Now I have met the grandchildren of Thomas.  They also claim that John Percival and Anne Rosemond are their g grandparents, in fact they showed me the grave and knew the inscription on it. The grave is in Drumshambo,Kiltoghert Co Leitrim.
Anne Rosemond's family were from Co Leitrim.
I need hep urgently as I am flying to NZ tomorrow to discuss THE TREE with another descendent of Thomas.
I am descended from Arthur.  There was definitely a John Percival paying tithes in Lissagernal in 1829-33

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Same family of Percivals in Longford and Leitrim
« Reply #1 on: Monday 14 July 08 14:01 BST (UK) »
How far apart are the two places that the same family are supposed to be in? County Longford and County Leitrim march each other and it might (depending on distance) be a case that the family lived in one place but went to church in the other.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline linny1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 16 July 08 07:43 BST (UK) »
Yes, I realise the counties are attached but Currawn ,Mohill (no longer on maps) must be somewhere up near Drumshambo or Aughriman and therefore at least 15kms or more away...a long time back then.

Offline linny1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 16 July 08 07:46 BST (UK) »
The other families connected to these Percivals are McCormack, Jones, Dunbar,Crowe .Any relatives out there? John Percival leased land from the Earl of Granard as far back as 1782

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 06 August 08 02:07 BST (UK) »
Hello linny,

I've linked your "Minard House Co Longford" thread to this one.
www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=315245.msg1979692#msg1979692

Christopher

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 06 August 08 02:26 BST (UK) »
The other families connected to these Percivals are McCormack, Jones, Dunbar,Crowe .Any relatives out there? John Percival leased land from the Earl of Granard as far back as 1782

Griffith's Valuation
1856 Leitrim - Crowe. None in Longford in 1854 when the Valuation took place
1856 Leitrim - Dunbar. None in Longford
1856 Leitrim - Jones. This surname is also listed in Longford
McCormack is listed in both Leitrim and Longford.

Offline skm

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 15 August 08 23:57 BST (UK) »
Yes, I realise the counties are attached but Currawn ,Mohill (no longer on maps) must be somewhere up near Drumshambo or Aughriman and therefore at least 15kms or more away...a long time back then.

The townland of Currawn in Co. Leitrim is near Mohill.   My first cousin Victor Percival still lives there.   His father was Attie(sic) Percival.  Another brother was Willie who lived in the US for years and returned to Currawn on his retirement but ended his days with a family in Longford (I think they were Jones).  There was another brother, at least one, who was a policeman in Belfast.   There is a first cousin living in New Jersey.     Our paternal grandmother's name was Forbes.

Offline linny1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 30 October 08 06:03 GMT (UK) »
In reply to Skm. I am descended from the same Percivals as you.Can you get in touch with me again.  Victor and his brother are cousins of my mothers
. I live in Australia descended from Arthur Percival but I have been to Ireland and met margaret and Ivy. I have done a fairly complete family tree but need to complete the picture. I have also been to New Zealand to meet other descendents of John and Ann

Offline marcrennie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 19 January 09 17:00 GMT (UK) »
Does anyone here have information on Alexander Percival b. 1826 Longford, Ireland. Possible son of Henry Percival and Ann McCormick or perhaps a Roger Percival?  May have a tie to Percivals from Leirtrim or possibly Wexford??  Thanks any information at all helps.  I think the reason there may appear to be two families likely is because of different churches.  There is a story in my family that Alexander's parents that the father was an Irish protestant and the mother a Scottish Catholic and hence they were rejected by their families.  My Percival family ended up in Ontario, Canada.