Author Topic: Same family of Percivals in Longford and Leitrim  (Read 22404 times)

Offline cliffordsclarks

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Same family of Percivals in Longford and Leitrim
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 03 September 16 19:47 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone, sorry I'm a few years late to the party, but I am also starting to research the Percivals from Leitrim/Longford.  I suspect they are related to my ancestors the Cliffords from Newtownforbes, co. Longford/Moher, Leitrim.  My ancestor Henry Clifford emigrated to New York City in 1852 and in 1855 was living with an Alexander Percival, b. 1827, and his wife Jane (McKinley) Percival.  Henry's mother was a McCormick so some of the posts on this stream have definitely piqued my interest.  I believe Alexander had a brother, Arthur Percival (wife Elizabeth) and a brother Thomas Percival living close by in Brooklyn.  The Cliffords and the Percivals lived side by side in Brooklyn for years and years.  If anyone knows of Percivals who emigrated to Brooklyn in the early 1850s, or an associated with the Cliffords, I would be very interested.  I have done quite a bit of research on the Cliffords in Brooklyn and Leitrim/Longford.

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline linny1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Same family of Percivals in Longford and Leitrim
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 12 November 17 12:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi cliffordsclarks,I just found your message.
Unfortunately I cant see a direct link with my family but I'm sure it's the same family of Percivals.  We repeat Alexander,Thomas and Arthur as first names often.
I think many went to the US during the famine and just 2 came here to Australia  an Arthur and Henry although Henry returned to die in Dublin.
One branch also ended up in New Zealand.
Certainly our Percivals intermarried with the McCormicks.  I imagine he is still alive but there is a  Percival McCormick who was an astronaut in the US.  I have been in touch with him but it was at least ten years ago.  He was definitely part of our family. Do you know of him?
Keep in touch.  The furthest we can go back is our ggrandfathers father John born about 1795.  We cannot find out whre the Percivals came from before Leitrim.

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.