Author Topic: Ruff family of Whittlesey  (Read 10346 times)

Offline ShirleyX

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Ruff family of Whittlesey
« on: Monday 24 January 05 04:08 GMT (UK) »
Can anyone give me a starting point.  please
My grandmother Grace Lillian Ruff  b1905 Australia, d/o Arthur James Noble Ruff b 1865 Australia and Mary Tilbury.b?
Arthur James Noble Ruff s/o James Ruff & Elizabeth Vine.
I believe James Ruff departed Liverpool 3/81845 on the Ship Johnston, arriving Melbourne 30/11/1845.
This is all I know though I am told the Ruff family was in Whittlesey with Isaac Ruff and Anice or Agnus Young m 1710/16.
I've tried searching the various online free accesses but nothing seems to register. Is anyone else searching this family?
Any help appreciated
Shirley
Dudley, Tipton, Worcestshire - ATTWELL, FISHER, RICHARDS, INCE, SHEERWOOD
Greenock, MANNERS, CAMPBELL, MONTGOMERY, LECKIE

Offline Jenny Wood

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Ruff family of Whittlesey
« Reply #1 on: Monday 24 January 05 09:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi - I'm not looking at the Ruff family but do have family in Whittlesey that I research (TREVITT) so I thought I'd have a look for you - if you have a little more information post it so I can have another look.

Do you have any ages - i.e. how old was James Ruff when he left Liverpool and did he travel with his parents (from his marriage age I could infer that he was young but not how young).  Have you had a look at the microfilm at the Library as the ships logs sometimes have the place of birth of the immigrant? 

Do you know where he died or perhaps have his parents names or any siblings?  His death certificate could provide some of this information.

With what you have above I've just done a quick look at the 1841 census for Cambridge - There are lots of Ruffs but only two James Ruffs in the 1841 census of Whittlesey that I can find.

1841 Census of Whittlesey HO107/82/7 13A
Coates Whittlesey
Isaac RUFF 30 Farmer Not from County
Rebeckah RUFF 35 From County
James RUFF 4  From County
Isaac RUFF 2 From County

1841 Census of Whittlesey HO107/82/1 5B
Horsegate Whittlesey
James RUFF Age 50  Farmer From County
Mary RUFF Age 50 From County
Elizabeth RUFF Age 15 From County
James RUFF Age 14 From County
Daniel RUFF Age 11 From County

Again not free but I have found the Nottigham family history society very good at giving searching for your name. nottsfhs.org.uk

Hope the above helps.

Jenny
AYRES - Surrey, Maitland
ATKINS - Kent, Sydney, Brisbane
CAMPBELL - Isle of Skye, Chatsworth Island NSW
CONNORS - Scotland, Ireland, Sydney
FLANAGAN - Scotland, Sydney
HOUWELING - Netherlands
PETCH - Kent, Australia
TREVITT - Newark
VICKERS - Birmngham, Oaken
WATSON - Isle of Man, Chatsworth Island NSW
WATTS - Kent, Maitland
WOOD - Oaken, Broseley, Barrow, Penkridge, Brisbane
WORTELBOER - Netherlands

Offline ShirleyX

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 25 January 05 04:50 GMT (UK) »
Thanks heaps Jenny
I'ts always a stumbling block when there is no immediate family alive who can help.  It took me some time just to find out where Whittlesey was. I had no idea, could have been any country. This site provided the answer.

The fact that I live 3hrs drive from the nearest library I always live in hope that someone can find that snippet of info, generally a date, so that I can make the most of my time when I get the rare opportunity to get to a library.

All the details I gave are mostly heresay so I am not even sure I have all the right details. Strangely enough my own father could not tell me anything about his mother's parents (probably a skeleton in the closet) so nothing ever got talked about.

I am waiting for certificates of my grandparents at present so maybe they will give me a hint.

Meanwhile I'll check out the details you gave me when I can. Little James age 4 could be correct.  Where is County, anywhere near Whittlesey?

Shirley

Offline Jenny Wood

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 25 January 05 10:06 GMT (UK) »
Shirley,

Happy if it helped - willing to look further when you have more information.  Where are you located?

The statement From County and not of this county refer to where the person was born.  The 1841 census simply said if they were born in the county (i.e. Whittlesey) or not.

If Isaac is a family name then the 4 year old James with father Isaac might be a go.  The other thing I just checked is that 4 year old james doesn't show up as 14 year old James in the 1851 census.  In fact the family appears to have moved as Isaac doesn't show either.

I've got some more info but will PM you.

Jenny
AYRES - Surrey, Maitland
ATKINS - Kent, Sydney, Brisbane
CAMPBELL - Isle of Skye, Chatsworth Island NSW
CONNORS - Scotland, Ireland, Sydney
FLANAGAN - Scotland, Sydney
HOUWELING - Netherlands
PETCH - Kent, Australia
TREVITT - Newark
VICKERS - Birmngham, Oaken
WATSON - Isle of Man, Chatsworth Island NSW
WATTS - Kent, Maitland
WOOD - Oaken, Broseley, Barrow, Penkridge, Brisbane
WORTELBOER - Netherlands

Offline ShirleyX

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 26 January 05 12:24 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for all the help.
Over the next week I will try to order a few certificates from Australia to get a better idea of dates and places and will let you know.
Regards
Shirley

Offline tbears52

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 26 August 10 23:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Shirley

Arthur James Noble Ruff married Mary Elizabeth Goodey/Tilbury 1899.  He is the son of James Ruff and Elizabeth nee Vines.  James is the son of Daniel Ruff and Ann Noble.  I believe these may possibly be names in your lineage as well, am I correct?

Have you had any further success with this family please.

Cheers
Judi

Offline ShirleyX

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 26 August 10 23:25 BST (UK) »
Judi

Gosh, I didn't realise it had been so long since I looked at this family and I am sorry to say that I have done no more on them. I've been doing uni degrees for the past five years.

Shirley

Offline tbears52

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 27 August 10 00:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Shirley

I have done a little with this family and perhaps I may be able to help you a little more?  We are the Tilbury connection with the Ruff family.  I live in Australia.

Cheers
Judi

Offline ShirleyX

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 27 August 10 05:41 BST (UK) »
Judi

Anything you have on the family lines would be appreciated.

I went through some very old files - ones I'd collected long before computers came in - and came across a fairly detailed family tree on the Ruff family that I had apparently quickly scribbled down when visiting a relative, I'd forgotten all about the file.

Anyway - I believe Daniel Ruff was married to E Smith before he married Ann (Susannah) Noble and may have married a third time to S Hardy.

Daniels parents are most likely Isaac Ruff and Mary Anderson. Isaac's parents are Isaac Ruff and Mary Stovely, then married Elizabeth Betts. This Isaac's parents are Isaac Ruff and Agnes Young of Whittlesey

Does this tie in with anything you have.

I live in Dunolly Vic

Shirley