Author Topic: Identify Old Barnsley Pub please  (Read 4166 times)

Offline deadants

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Identify Old Barnsley Pub please
« on: Monday 24 January 05 08:56 GMT (UK) »
I have posted some photos in the common forum, one I only came across today. I need some local  Barnsly knowledge to tell me if the photo looking  up the hill is the same building. It sure looks like it to me. The problem is in my other photo taken just last year, is from the top of the street looking down so it's a different perspective. Plus the new photo looks like it was from the  1960's. Here's the  link to my post  in the common forum.  ??? ???

deadants

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,30943.msg121785.html#msg121785
Cleary, Doran, Boland, McCooey, McManus, O'brien, Martin, Savage, Wallis, McCollister, Wood.  (More to come soon)

Offline acorngen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Identify Old Barnsley Pub please
« Reply #1 on: Monday 24 January 05 17:55 GMT (UK) »
Having looked at all 3 pictures I would say undoubtedly its the same place

Rob
WYATT, COX, STRATTON, all from south Derbyshire and the STS, LEI border Burns Fellows Gough Wilks from STS in particular Black Country and now heading into SOP

Offline deadants

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 24 January 05 20:51 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Rob, everyone so far who has looked at it agrees it's the same building. All I need now is a date. The car on the hill might give us a clue.

deadants
Cleary, Doran, Boland, McCooey, McManus, O'brien, Martin, Savage, Wallis, McCollister, Wood.  (More to come soon)

Offline winston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 25 January 05 22:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Nice pictures don't the area or the car for the year you want but have you seen this link for someone else's site who has a photo of Shambles Street.  They give plenty of info maybe you could contact them, unless this site does belong to you.

http://www.barnsleyandfamily.com/barnsleyfromtheair.htm

Scroll down the main page untill under one of the photos it does say Shambles Street.

I found it fascinating.

Wendy
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Blakeley in Batley West Yorks
Turner in Hanging Heaton West Yorkshire
Dann last known area Soothill West Yorks
Hirst in Hanging heaton W Yorks
Moss in Morley and Leeds
Parker in Morley W Yorks
Parker in Hull E Yorks
Tilburns in Morley W Yorks

Offline deadants

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 25 January 05 23:20 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Wendy, No it's not my site. But it certainly gives me another avenue to explore. I will try some of  the links from that page and see if I can find an old timer from Barnsley who can confirm that they are  the same biulding.

cheers.

deadants  :)