Author Topic: McGuffog, McGuffey, Mcguffock, McGuffoge  (Read 14576 times)

Offline tomba

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: McGuffog, McGuffey, Mcguffock, McGuffoge
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 23 July 08 01:44 BST (UK) »
I have checked out the William's on the site Scotland's People, I haven't been able to fit them in, and the wills I have found in relation to the people I have don't give me any indication.

I have little info on the other children of William and Agnes Hunter. Every where I go now seems to hit brick walls.

I would also like to know about their life. Farmer at Nethertown, did he own land etc. where can I go to find out these things, Midpark is that a village of property??  Nether Ironmonnoch,  Nether Errie, Parton,  that sort of stuff
I can not find any record of James marriage to janet Welsh or about her. Margaret Riddick I guess any thing that can give me some more info in relation to this family I can not find any thing about Walter Hunter of Corsock. I haven't had a chance to check out the other websites you sent me but I will do that over the next few days. As you said I thing my only options here are to get a researcher of better still visit scotland my self I rather like that idea. ::)
McGuffog, Grieve, Broadfoot, Flett, Rigg, Riddick, Gillies, Jobson, Gillies, Bath, Hanna, Betterridge, Ellem,

Offline Northerngirl

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 23 October 08 10:21 BST (UK) »
Tomba.

I've hesitated about adding this information to your posting as the information there is very complicated.  But you have asked for information about the McGuffog family.

I was reading the kirk sessions for Parton/Corsock and was particularly interested in my 3 g grandmother's own widowed mother Margaret Shaw.  From 1839 on wards Margaret falls upon very hard times and has to make an application to the parish for poor support.  She is given a paltry amount to exist on.  However, in April 1845 there is an entry in the poor relief records that Margaret is given board to pay to Mr /Wm  Guffog.  This payment is for about a month's period than the information goes back to the basics about her fortnightly allowance.

I wonder if this is the McGuffog family?  By 1851 she is living with her granddaughter and new family in Parton.

Hope this is more of a help than a hindrance.

J.A.
SCOTLAND
KBC interests - Murray and Shaw: Blacklock and Kirkland.
DMS interests - as KBC.

ENGLAND
Northumberland
Murray: > 1920 in Longbenton/Forest Hall; Howick 1920's
Elliott: North Nbld 1800's
Straughan/Straphen: North Nbld 1800's and 1910's/1920's Craster.
Henderson(nee Elliott)/Brodie Haydon Bridge 1900's
Bell (nee Elliott) Christon Bank/Embleton 1900's

IRELAND
County Mayo
Mills: Erris Head and Gortmellia
Mullarky: as same
Ginnelly: as same

Offline tomba

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 24 October 08 01:28 BST (UK) »
thanks for that I would at a guess say there is some connection, I have found reference to the name spelt that way.
I have found reference another families of McGuffogs in Parton but have not been able to make a connection. My William b abt 1729? married Agnes Hunter in Parton in 1766 died 1813 Kirkpatrick Durham did have a son William i know nothing about it could be him.
there was also another John McGuffog married Janet McClune in 1765 also in Parton but I have made not connection he had a daughter Mary in 1767
In 1772 another John married Ann Levingston in parton
on the 4th April 1766  a William married a Helen Johnston, My William married Agnes 11 September 1766 Its all very confusing  really

Jenny
McGuffog, Grieve, Broadfoot, Flett, Rigg, Riddick, Gillies, Jobson, Gillies, Bath, Hanna, Betterridge, Ellem,

Offline Scatza

• RootsChat Extra
  • Alabama Azalea
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 08 November 08 15:35 GMT (UK) »
Tomba, thanks for sharing your wealth of information. John McGuffog married Janet McClune 1765 Parton caught my eye because of my own McClune, McMurrie, Shaw connections. Here is another reference: Testament of John McMurrie given in Airds 24 February 1680.  John McMurrie and Euphin? Elspeth? (looks like Eugte in secretary hand) Fairness or Fairend, had a daughter, Janet, spouse to John McGuffock in Bar(l)greddan. One son, Geog (sic) McGuffock also in Bar(l)greddan. It appears that Airds at that time was owned by "laird John McClellan" in Bankend, who signed the Testament. It is very difficult to decipher and contains an inventory of the property leased? and John McMurrie's bequests to his spouse, daughter, and John McGuffock. Several other names of people in Rerrick, Auchencairn, Barlocco, Abay, and Edinghame are also mentioned. If nothing else, this provides a timeframe ::)

Scatza
McMurrie/McMurray, McFegan, McClune, Coltart, Shaw, McLean - Kirkcudbright; McMurray, Simpson, Adams, Mussett South Africa

Offline Scatza

• RootsChat Extra
  • Alabama Azalea
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 08 November 08 15:38 GMT (UK) »
Ooops, both McGuffock's referred to in my post were named George.

Scatza
McMurrie/McMurray, McFegan, McClune, Coltart, Shaw, McLean - Kirkcudbright; McMurray, Simpson, Adams, Mussett South Africa

Offline achiltibuie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 11 September 15 12:02 BST (UK) »
These are probably not the same McGuffog family, but any information would be gratefully received.   The earliest I know of is David McGuffog, married to a Margaret Mains, in Craigs, Balmaclellan.   In 1760 there was a daughter, Sarah, later known as Sarah Maria, followed by a Jane and a Katrine (born 1766).

By the 1780s all three daughters are in Jamaica, where Jane marries (1786) a John Rutherford, a Kingston merchant who by 1805 is in Marylebone in London.  Katherine/Katrine in 1793 marries (from Jamaica)  William Duff, a merchant in Nicholas Lane, London but living later in Shoreditch.   Duff and Rutherford were close - the Duffs named a son John Rutherford Duff.  Sarah in Jamaica had married someone called Leigh whom I cannot trace.   In 1796, recorded as Sarah Maria Leigh, a widow, she remarries a John Forsyth, described as "planter," who seems to have been active in the parish of St Mary, though she seems to have owned the plantation called Leighfield in St George, which seems to have been their home.   Forsyth is dead by 1810, but Sarah can still be traced at Leighfield until the mid 1830s.   

All three women are remembered in the will of James McGuffog, a very successful draper in  Stamford, Lincolnshire, who dies in 1828.   Robert Owen had once been his apprentice.   His brother, John, also in Stamford, describing himself as "gentleman" died in 1825.   There is no mention of kinship, yet both James and John McGuffog are clearly also from Balmaclellan, which is mentioned in both their wills

It seems likely that David McGuffog was a tenant in Craigs, which seems to have been in the hands of a Gordon family in the 1760s.   There doesn't seem to be any likely link to Jamaica to throw light on the story.

Offline matt muir

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 11 September 15 21:55 BST (UK) »
A small piece of information in respect of  your James McGuffog,( draper in  Stamford ).
There is a Memorial inside Balmaclellan church that reads,

"To the memory of James McGuffog esquire late of Stamford in the county
of Lincoln who died in 1829 having bequeathed to the minister and elders
of Balmaclellan for the time being the sum of £300 to be by them appropriated
for the benefit of the poor of the parish".
Rgds  Matt
Muir,McDill/Dill,Payne,Hepburn,Ireland,Rae all in Kirkcudbrightshire.
Cotter,Liddane,Gibson all in Co Clare,Ireland.

My avatar is my G/Father--Name not known !

Offline achiltibuie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 13 September 15 10:17 BST (UK) »
Many thanks - this is in his will, I think, though it's nice to know they were grateful.  So far I still can't find a reliable birth record for him or his brother,  and certainly not in Balmaclellan.   I don't know how old he was at his death, but his will, written a bit before it, is formidably detailed.  He was clearly in full possession of his faculties and then some.