Author Topic: Duff / McGlashan  (Read 2195 times)

Offline unclenorm45

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Duff / McGlashan
« on: Wednesday 16 July 08 21:35 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone. Norm Redpath here from Ontario, Canada.
I am researching my mother's ancestors. and I need some clarification on the Duff side of the house. Her GGG Grandfather was a John Duff, born 1740 and his wife was Cathrine McGlashan also born 1740.
They had 6 children, James & Anna b 1971; Thomas b 1776; David b 1780; an unnamed child b 1782 and Donald b 1784. They are listed as being born in Little Dunkeld, Scotland.
Can any one shed any light on this as to a marriage date and location and possibly their parents. It would bee very much appreciated as I have just been in touch with a descendant of THOMAS. I am descended from Davids branch. He married a Jean (Jane) McDonald and they were married in 1806 in Perth. Had 4 children born in Newbegging,Auchtergaven, Scotland.
Thanks in advance
Norm

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Duff / McGlashan
« Reply #1 on: Friday 18 July 08 00:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Norm

Two Banns entries for this couple - obviously they lived in different parishes:

both 2  Dec 1769 John Duff and Catharine McGlashan - Logierait and Little Dunkeld

The only Catherine who is showing in the OPR  baptisms is :

27 August 1749 Logierait Catharin McGlashan d/o Charles McGlashan and Jean McLachlan

Logierait is the next parish to Little Dunkeld.

The parents names don't feature in the children's names so I'm not sure  :-\

There are too many John Duff's in the broad time period to be sure which might be yours.

You say that they were born 1740 - where did you find these dates?

Regards

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 18 July 08 00:56 BST (UK) »
I've just checked the banns entry and John was living Logienalochy, Little Dunkeld and Catherine was living Logierait.

Gadget  :)
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline unclenorm45

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 18 July 08 06:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Gaget, thanks for helping. The dates I have for John & Catherine were provided to me by my sister in law who did a lot of research on the Duffs. Where she got the dates, I'm not sure. However the new found cousin who wrote a book on this family also mentioned both of them. And yes both Little Dunkeld and Logereit

Offline fincoupar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 15 March 17 18:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi , Can't help with the specifics of marriage dates and places etc but if you are on Ancestry.co.uk ( or com) . You can check out the extended family on my family tree.  I'm also on Linkedin and Facebook.  Yours Finlay Coupar