Author Topic: Peckham/Worsley of Cranbrook, Kent  (Read 5971 times)

Offline tikki_nik2

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Peckham/Worsley of Cranbrook, Kent
« on: Thursday 17 July 08 20:04 BST (UK) »
I am trying to research my partners family. I have been told that the family changed their name from Worsley to Peckham and no one knows why.

My partners grandfather was Ronald Arthur Peckham, born to Frederick Peckham and Alice Mabel (nee Brunger) in Dartford in 1920. I have found a wedding for Frederick Peckham and Alice M Brunger in March 1920 in Dartford. However I haven't yet sent off for the certificate.

I am told that Frederick was originally called Frederick Charles Worsely son of Robert and Elizabeth Harriet (nee Dunster), b. 3 Nov 1890, Hope Mill Cottages, Goudhurst, Cranbrook, Kent. We have a certificate showing this birth. Nobody knows why the family changed their name and Ron's birth certificate says his father was Frederick Peckham (note no middle name mentioned either). Also the marriage record for Fredk does not include a middle name of Charles.

I have searched the 1891 census where Fredk aged 0-1 years (probably near Goudhurst) should be but can not find him. I have looked under both Peckham and Worsley. I also can not find his parents Robert and Elizabeth Worsley. I have found a reference for a wedding in June 1884 for Elizabeth Harriet Dunster and Robert Worsley in Tenterden, fairly close to Cranbrook. But I am a bit doubtful about whether these are Fredk's true parents as I have only heard about the name change from hearsay at the moment.

Can anybody else help me with this mystery? I am aware that sooner or later I am going to have to purchase these certificates but I just haven't had a chance yet.

Thanks

Nikki
Bucks - Chapman, Garnett, Munday, Smith, Hains, Field, Mayo, Glassington
Cambs - Turner, Alsop
London/Surrey/Middlesex - Floden, Sheppard, Parsons, Luckett, Smith, Martyn, March
Liecs - Winterton, Kirby, Harrison, Measures, Lowe, Smith, Warden, Oldham, Church
Northumberland - Back, Archbold, Elliot, Gibson, Thompson
Herts - March, Law, Adkins, Cooke, Grant
Sussex - Young, Saunders, Hayward, Bollard

Offline Barbara F

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Peckham/Worsley of Cranbrook, Kent
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 17 July 08 20:19 BST (UK) »
Nikki

You will find Frederick Wordsley in 1891 at this ref RG12 697 f 28

Barbara
Joy, Larkin, Twort, Baker, Whibley - Brenchley and Horsmonden area Kent
Fewell and Speller - Essex and London
Headington and Bateman - London
Feltwell - Norfolk and London
Lewin - India and NZ
Evan-Thomas - Wales and London
Purser and Cook - Hunts

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Barbara F

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 17 July 08 21:12 BST (UK) »
The whole family seems to have disappeared in 1901. I cannot find them under any name!

I was wondering whether Robert the father might have died and Elizabeth married a Mr Peckham.  But I can't find anything to prove that either.

Barbara
Lewin - India and NZ
Purser and Cook - Hunts

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 17 July 08 22:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Nikki

Many of the Dartford area parish registers are online so, luckily, you won't have to send for the marriage certificate of Frederick PECKHAM to Alice M BRUNGER ;)

Sutton at Hone 30 March 1920

Frederick PECKHAM 24, engine driver of Sutton at Hone son of Robert PECKHAM, stockman so he should be born c1895/1896 - do you have a death or burial for him to see what age is given there?

http://www.rootschat.com/links/03v1/

Casalguidi :)
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Barbara F

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 18 July 08 09:27 BST (UK) »
That is very useful caslguidi.

It looks as though there may well be 2 separate Fredericks and that the Worsley birth certificate is nothing to do with the man we are looking for.

Have had a quick look at the 1901 census for Frederick Peckham born 1895/6.  Nothing obvious there but will have a further look later.

Barbara
Lewin - India and NZ
Purser and Cook - Hunts

Offline tikki_nik2

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 18 July 08 11:42 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Thanks for your help starting me off on this one. I haven't got any further with the Worsley/Peckham part yet however the wedding certificate that you found for Frederick Peckham and Alice Mabel Brunger shows that her father was Richard Orlando Brunger. I have managed to trace him back through all the census' (he's fairly easy to find with that name!). He is son of John and Mary/Mercy and the large family were born and bred in Tenterden. He is married to Mary Ann Taylor in Tenterden in 1885 and the 1891 census shows him and Mary Ann with their daughter Alice.

This discovery perhaps helps to give a bit more credence to the Frederick Charles Worsley birth certificate from Goudhurst, Cranbrook as this is very close to where the Brunger family come from.

On the Frederick Charles Worsley birth certificate it shows the father Robert as a Groom & Gardener (Domestic Servant). Their address is Hope Mill Cottages, Goudhurst.
Cambs - Turner, Alsop
London/Surrey/Middlesex - Floden, Sheppard, Parsons, Luckett, Smith, Martyn, March
Liecs - Winterton, Kirby, Harrison, Measures, Lowe, Smith, Warden, Oldham, Church

Offline tikki_nik2

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 18 July 08 12:45 BST (UK) »
The marriage certificate that you found shows the witnesses as Curtis? A.W. Brunger - possibly Alice's uncle Curtis or a brother or cousin and also F Sanderson.

I have done a search of marriages in Dartford on Free BMD and in June 1911 between Worsley/Peckham and Sanderson and an Elizabeth F Peckham married an Octavius J Sanderson, 2a, 1239. Was this Elizabeth an older sister?

I can't work out how to use the Medway site so it is possible for you to search this for me and see if there is another wedding certificate for this marriage that may give some more clues?

Also there isn't an Elizabeth F on the Wordsley census entry. I am assuming this isn't the remarriage of Frederick's mother as she shows on the census as Elizabeth H and I have been told her name is Elizabeth Harriet by family members so the F on the wedding certificate wouldn't stack up.
Cambs - Turner, Alsop

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 18 July 08 12:45 BST (UK) »
If we post the 1891 census details here, it's easier than keep looking them up  ;)

1891 Tenterden

Robert WORDSLEY head mar 28 coachman & gardener b.Rolvenden
Elizabeth H wife 29 b.Tenterden
George A son 6 b.Tenterden
Arthur E son 4 b.Goudhurst
Florence M dau 2 b.Goudhurst
Frederick C son 5m b.Goudhurst

RG12/697 folio 28 page 6.

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 19 July 08 07:46 BST (UK) »
Elisbeth Florence PECKHAM married Octavius John SANDERSON 15 Apr 1911 Wilmington http://www.rootschat.com/links/03vb/

The witness Ruth Ellen PECKHAM could be nee WEAVER the wife of George Albert PECKHAM see http://freebmd.rootsweb.com

Sorry I don't have time to answer more fully now.