Author Topic: John Black/Isle of Lismore  (Read 22429 times)

Offline Billy Anderson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: John Black/Isle of Lismore
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 23 August 16 13:44 BST (UK) »
Hi all,
Was on the beautiful isle of Lismore between Oban and the Isle of Mull in July and found the grave stone of John Blacks Parents,Donald Black and Catherine McIntyre.
As previously recorded they resided on the isle of Bute and returned to the isle of Lismore.
Donald passed away on 14th Jan 1891 and Catherine passed away on 6th Jan 1887 Achnacroish Lismore there grave stone was erected by there daughter Ann.
Billy.
Anderson=Glasgow, Denny,Bathgate,Kilsyth.
=USA  Alameda,New York,Boston,Illinois.
Binning= Bathgate
Miller=Kilsyth
Black, McIntyre=Ise of Lismore
Donald=Enzie
MacDonald=Denny.
Lymburner=Denny
Wright=West Lothian
Greenhorn= Blantyre,LKS.

Offline rebeccamary

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 07 November 16 22:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi Billy,

Did you happen to run across a daughter of Donald and Catherine's named Agnes? My 3x great grandmother was Agnes Black, daughter of Donald Black and Catherine (McIntyre, I think!) born in 1840. She was married in 1868 in Glasgow but then her son Archibald was born in Argyll in 1883, so it leads me to believe she may be related to the people you are researching.  :)
Mackenzie (Caithness) - McKechnie (Renfrewshire/Oban) - Wood (Perthshire/Edinburgh) - MacDonald (Caithness) - Subritzky

Offline Billy Anderson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 08 November 16 10:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi rebeccamary,
it is possible i found a Agnes Black in the 1851 census for Buteshire,Isle of Bute  aged 11 and i have the rest of the family  are on the isle of Lismore in 1851 .

In the 1861 census the family are in Rothsey,Isle of Bute  but no Agnes and a gap between Christina aged 22 and Alex 12 so she could have been else were.
Do you have Agnes,s birth cert,probably have to prove that here mothers name was McIntyre to proceed,
My dads god mother/aunt was Agnes ,who,s mother was Catherine Black so it is possible,
Billy.

Anderson=Glasgow, Denny,Bathgate,Kilsyth.
=USA  Alameda,New York,Boston,Illinois.
Binning= Bathgate
Miller=Kilsyth
Black, McIntyre=Ise of Lismore
Donald=Enzie
MacDonald=Denny.
Lymburner=Denny
Wright=West Lothian
Greenhorn= Blantyre,LKS.

Offline rebeccamary

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 08 November 16 20:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi Billy,

Thanks for your reply!  ;D
I don't have her birth certificate yet, but this is from her marriage certificate. I asked some other lovely people on here what they thought Catherine's maiden name was and they seem to agree that it's McIntyre. Do you know who was Agnes living with in the 1851 census? I can't seem to find record of her on Bute on FreeCEN or Scotlands People (but I've only started researching genealogy in the last few weeks, so my skills are less than ideal!).

Rebecca.
Mackenzie (Caithness) - McKechnie (Renfrewshire/Oban) - Wood (Perthshire/Edinburgh) - MacDonald (Caithness) - Subritzky

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 08 November 16 21:50 GMT (UK) »
Something to bear in mind is the use of common first name variants in Scotland. Agnes is a common variant of Ann/ Nancy. See this great site www.whatsinaname.net/php/search.php?action=search2&search_name=agnes

Wondering whether Agnes showed as Ann in earlier years?

1841 has an Ann Black aged 3 in the household with a Dugald and Chirsty McIntyre at Salen, Lismore. Thinking this is mother Catherine's parents from what Billy mentioned earlier? This entry you can see on FreeCen.

1851 has an Anne Black, aged 12 born in Lismore working as a servant at Baligarve. You would need to look at the original image as the entry has not been fully transcribed and I can't see it on FreeCen.

Donald and Catherine (McIntyre) did have a daughter Ann going by this index FS entry here https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XYK5-16T

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 08 November 16 22:21 GMT (UK) »
Rebecca, who did Agnes marry in 1868 in Glasgow? Was it James McKechnie? Have you got her with family in later censuses after her marriage?

Likely entry for her already in Glasgow by 1861:

Agnes Black, 23, Cook b. Lismore. Working at the Baxter household in 25 Blythswood Sq, Glasgow.

Monica

Offline rebeccamary

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 08 November 16 22:42 GMT (UK) »
Wow!  :o

Thank you for looking into that, Monica, and for all that information. It is super helpful/interesting! Those all seem to match up quite perfectly with Agnes, and I'd never even thought to look up name variants, this will definitely help me with future research  :)

I have purchased the 1851 census you found in Baligrave which lists an Ann Black however I can't make out her birthplace. I've attached it in case anyone can help with deciphering it :)

Yes, she married James McKechnie in 1868. I'm having trouble locating her in later census' though, including her son, Archibald McKechnie.  :-\

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 08 November 16 22:49 GMT (UK) »
I have struggled too to find Agnes after 1868 and her marriage.

There looks to be a son John born in 1868 https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FQRQ-GXN

Also, a first born Archibald https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:F797-G4R He must have died young for the name to have been re-used in 1883 (have you got this birth cert?).

Also saw this further option from 1851 for Agnes:

Duncan Mcintyre 29 ship agent b. Lismore
Dugald Mcintyre 1 son b. Glasgow
Agnes Black 15  niece b. Lismore
Jean Robinson 29 servant

Address: Lyndoch Place No 2

Monica

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 08 November 16 22:53 GMT (UK) »
There is an entry in 1881 for a 10yr old John McKechnie at the Industrial School in Rothesay, Bute (27 Mill Street). This John is showing as born in Glasgow.

Monica