Author Topic: John Black/Isle of Lismore  (Read 22524 times)

Offline Billy Anderson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: John Black/Isle of Lismore
« Reply #36 on: Wednesday 09 November 16 10:50 GMT (UK) »

Likely Arch Black possibly father, something to think about as I see from reading the rest of the thread that the name Archibald does pop up?

Annie, from Doddies' post much earlier on we had parents for Donald and Catherine from their death certs as:

Donald Black (1801-1891). Parents: Duncan & Ann Black (no maiden name given).

Catherine McIntyre (c. 1810-1887). Parents: Dugald & Katherine.

This fitted with the 1841 census posted by Debbie also earlier:

1841 Census

Balevolan, Lismore, Argyll

Anne Black, F, 65, born Argyll
Anne Black, F, 30 born Argyll
Archibald Black, M, 1, born Argyll
Catherine Black, F, 30, born Argyll
Christy Black, F, 3, born Argyll
Donald Black, M, 35, born Argyll
Duncan Black, M, 75, born Argyll, occ:Tenant
Duncan Black, M, 25, born Argyll
Flory Black, F, 50, born Argyll, occ: Ind
Duncan McCaig, M, 10, born Argyll, occ: Hew
Catherine McIntyre, F, 15, born Argyll, occ: Female Servant

Guess for you Rebecca now would be good to find out what happened to James McKechnie and Agnes Black  :) Agnes seems to be the forgotten one from this family from what I can see on other's family trees. There is still confusion of course as to whether there were actually daughters born Ann and Agnes.

Billy, you mentioned on the monumental inscription for Donald and Catherine a reference to daughter Ann?

Monica
I photographed the monumental inscription for Donald and Catherine but having problems down loading them onto this page,i think i have to reduce there size.
it was their daughter Anne who paced the stone in the Lismore churchyard.
She was farming at Achnacroish farm ,Lismore.
Anderson=Glasgow, Denny,Bathgate,Kilsyth.
=USA  Alameda,New York,Boston,Illinois.
Binning= Bathgate
Miller=Kilsyth
Black, McIntyre=Ise of Lismore
Donald=Enzie
MacDonald=Denny.
Lymburner=Denny
Wright=West Lothian
Greenhorn= Blantyre,LKS.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Wednesday 09 November 16 11:24 GMT (UK) »
Billy, is this Donald and daughter Ann in 1891? He died that year from what Debbie posted before didn't he?

Donald Black 82 Crofter & Roadman b. Lismore
Ann Black 48 b. Glenorchey
Alexander McDonald 16 servant b. Glasgow

Address: Killean Crofters House, Lismore

Monica

ADDED: Maybe not if he died on 14 JAN 1891 • Achnacraish, Lismore (from others' family trees).
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Billy Anderson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Wednesday 09 November 16 11:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,
Was on the beautiful isle of Lismore between Oban and the Isle of Mull in July and found the grave stone of John Blacks Parents,Donald Black and Catherine McIntyre.
As previously recorded they resided on the isle of Bute and returned to the isle of Lismore.
Donald passed away on 14th Jan 1891 and Catherine passed away on 6th Jan 1887 Achnacroish Lismore there grave stone was erected by there daughter Ann.
Billy.
This is the inscription on the grave stone.
Binning= Bathgate
Miller=Kilsyth
Donald=Enzie
MacDonald=Denny.
Lymburner=Denny
Wright=West Lothian
Greenhorn= Blantyre,LKS.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Wednesday 09 November 16 15:24 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, Billy  :) Not much detail there to try and clear up the issue of Ann and Agnes...

Would be good to find death certs for one or the other!  The new SP search engine gets in the way though  :-\

Monica

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Wednesday 09 November 16 20:29 GMT (UK) »
Rebecca, you have details that Archibald was married before he married in 1903? He married in 1896 to a Jessie Milne in the County of Haddington (East Lothian). This looks to be them in 1901:

Archibald Mckechnie 29 Coachman Domestic b. Glasgow
Janet Mckechnie 27 b. Haddington
Jessie M Mckechnie 4 b. Currie, Midlothian
Agnes B Mckechnie 3 b. Brechin, Forfarshire (registered as Agnes Black McKechnie)
Elizabeth M Mckechnie 11 Months b. Kirkmichael, dumfriesshire

Address: Front Lodge, Kirkmichael, Dumfriesshire

Monica

Offline rebeccamary

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Wednesday 09 November 16 23:48 GMT (UK) »
WOW  :o

Sorry for the late reply, have been catching up on all that has been posted since yesterday.

I've just double checked Archibald's marriage certificate and - not sure how I missed this - it does indeed say widower. Wow, so he had 3 children before having my great grandmother! Thanks so much for that find, Monica.

I'm definitely going to try and get to the bottom of Agnes and James. You mention the SP search gets in the way, what do you mean? Every time I've attempted to find Agnes/Ann I never get results, is there a trick to it?  :-\ I also can't find either of them on findagrave.

I've just sat down to have a go at finding them, so will post if I make any headway :)

Thanks again!
Rebecca.
Mackenzie (Caithness) - McKechnie (Renfrewshire/Oban) - Wood (Perthshire/Edinburgh) - MacDonald (Caithness) - Subritzky

Offline rebeccamary

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Wednesday 09 November 16 23:58 GMT (UK) »
I also just had a question that one of you lovely people might be able to answer. Years ago my Granny spoke about how her "Grandpa Archie" (the Archibald we've been researching), purchased a section of a cemetery for his descendants. Does anyone know how I might go about finding information about that? Unfortunately Granny has alzheimers so haven't been able to get much out of her  :(
Mackenzie (Caithness) - McKechnie (Renfrewshire/Oban) - Wood (Perthshire/Edinburgh) - MacDonald (Caithness) - Subritzky

Offline Billy Anderson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Thursday 10 November 16 11:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rebecca,
i would try and locate the nearest graveyard to were he lived and contact the council,
Billy.
Binning= Bathgate
Miller=Kilsyth
Donald=Enzie
MacDonald=Denny.
Lymburner=Denny
Wright=West Lothian
Greenhorn= Blantyre,LKS.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Thursday 10 November 16 13:09 GMT (UK) »
Rebecca, you have the marriage cert for the marriage for Agnes Black and James McKechnie don't you from 1868? What was James' occupation and age, parents?

I have found the 1871 census entry yesterday. Not showing on the transcript I use but on SP. It shows:

Agnes McKechnie 31 stoker's wife husband at sea b. Lismore
John McKechnie 3 b. Glasgow
Elizabeth McKechnie 44 mother in law b. Kilbride Argyll

17 Brown Street Glasgow

There are also 1 boarder and 4 lodgers in the household.

There is the possibility that James Mckechnie could have died at sea? Likely between 1871 and 1881?

You mention the SP search gets in the way, what do you mean? Every time I've attempted to find Agnes/Ann I never get results, is there a trick to it?  :-\ I also can't find either of them on findagrave.

There have been major system changes to SP in recent weeks due to a change of company running the IT interface. It remains after the relaunch much more limited to search with  :'( Previously, we could have searched for Agnes' death using both her maiden and married surnames and found her death entry relatively easily. You can't do that now. There are also other limiters to search fields which are very restrictive and don't easily provide the results index we had before. I couldn't see a death for Agnes so far under McKechnie in Argyll. Nor could I see an obvious entry for her on the index for the 1911 census.

If you haven't already, might be worth you searching for Archibald and family in the 1911 census. This would let you firm up his details further and give you the extended list of children from his marriages.

Findagrave is not that useful/complete really for Scotland. As suggested by Billy, best to start by looking around the area Archibald died and make local enquiries.

Monica  :)