Author Topic: John Black/Isle of Lismore  (Read 22399 times)

Offline julieb5479

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John Black/Isle of Lismore
« Reply #45 on: Tuesday 06 March 18 17:01 GMT (UK) »
Hello everyone,

I have enjoyed reading this thread so much  It started this afternoon when my Uncle John asked me to see if 19 Balevolan Farm was still on the Isle of Lismore.  Its possible the spelling is incorrect as so far I have not found it.  Seems my 3x grandparents were Donald and Catherine Black, we have a Donald, Alex, John and Mary so I am hoping I am on the right track.  My uncle lost his son in November of last year he was only 50, his wishes were to have his ashes scattered in Scotland, due to the information we have through research we thought Isle of Lismore would be a fitting place to rest.  Does anyone have information on Balevolan Farm, I can find similar in Tiree but we have thought for many years it was on Lismore....Amy help would be appreciated,,,Thank you Julie

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Tuesday 06 March 18 19:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi Julie

Welcome to RootsChat  :)

More work needed but there seems to a refence to a BALEVEOLAN Farm https://lismore.cylex-uk.co.uk/map/baleveolan%20farm.html  Also with a postcode - Baleveolan, Lismore, Oban PA34 5UG

At the same postcode is 'The Bunkhouse' with lots of building permission apps popping up. Some photos here www.rootschat.com/links/01lp8/  (link shrunk).

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline julieb5479

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Wednesday 07 March 18 18:57 GMT (UK) »
Thank you v much   :)

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Wednesday 07 March 18 22:11 GMT (UK) »
Lismore featured on BBC Alba a couple of weeks ago. One auld guy, asked by Heather Dewar if he had ever been to the mainland said he attended school in Oban & that was as far as he got!  ;D

Skoosh.

Offline lismore

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Thursday 08 March 18 00:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi Julie,

I grew up as a child on the Island of Lismore, and what a wonderful childhood it was. When I left in 1971, a Duncan McDougall farmed Baleveolan, he died in the 1990's, and yes it is still there today, not far from the shop/post office in the middle of the island.

Lismore has its own website, http://www.isleoflismore.com/  you should contact them, they are very helpful and will advise you.

I remember travelling by boat to Oban High School every Monday morning, in all weathers, and returning on a Friday evening, staying in lodgings all week. Now the scholars have the choice of returning home every night.

I have been back for many holidays, as my parents and grandparents are buried on the island.

Offline julieb5479

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Thursday 08 March 18 12:59 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for your replys.  I have been on the Lismore Website so this is a great start  :)