Author Topic: FRYER Family  (Read 14407 times)

Offline rprfryer

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
FRYER Family
« on: Saturday 19 July 08 20:41 BST (UK) »
My great great grandfather, Thomas Fryer, was born, in #, County #, Ireland, about 1810.

He married my great great grandmother, Ellen (Fryer), in Wellington, Shropshire, England, about 1833.

She was born, in #, County #, Ireland, about 1813.

Their first child, John Fryer, who later became a writing clerk, in Burslem, Staffordshire, England, was born, in Kinsale, County Cork, Ireland, in 1836.

Their second child, Robert Fryer, who later became a manager of a wholesale hatter, in Aston, Warwickshire, England, was born, in Kinsale, County Cork, Ireland, about 1838.

The next three children were born in Wellington, Shropshire, England, and the final two children were born either in Wellington, Shropshire, England or, possibly, in Dorrington, Shropshire, England.

In 1838, Thomas Fryer became an excise man.

This, however, does not explain his earlier mobility.

I have been unable to determine his earlier ancestry.

Recently, however, I noticed that there were at least four other Fryers, three of them in and around Derby, Derbyshire, England, who were also excise men.

Although my father’s third given name, Derby, was, ostensibly, bestowed, when he was born, in 1915, in honour of Edward George Villiers Stanley, the seventeenth Earl of Derby, I have begun to wonder whether my grandfather and great grandfather were also honouring family roots in and around Derby, Derbyshire, England.

James Fryer, Supervisor of Excise, of Uttoxeter, Staffordshire, England, about fifteen miles West of Derby, Derbyshire, England, died about 1808.

John Fryer, Officer of Excise, of Spring Gardens, Derby, Derbyshire, England was born about 1784, and he died on November 12, 1846.

His wife was Mary (Fryer).

William Fryer, Officer of Excise, of Derby, Derbyshire, England, became an excise man in 1843.

His wife, Lydia (Fryer), died, on January 07, 1855, at Wood End, near Strabane, County Tyrone, Ireland.

Another John Fryer, of #, #, England (?), became an excise man in 1855.

As they had an occupation in common, these Derbyshire Fryers may be related to my great great grandfather, Thomas Fryer, which would help me determine his earlier ancestors.

Thank you, very much, in advance, for any information that you are able to provide.
FRYER of Wellington, Shropshire; Aston, Birmingham, Warwickshire

REDMAYNE of Benwell, Northumberland; Newcastle-upon-Tyne, Northumberland; Gateshead-on-Tyne, Durham; Roker, Sunderland, Durham; Brathay Hall, Lancashire; Camden Town, Middlesex; Kentish Town, Middlesex; Ingleton, Yorkshire; Giggleswick, Yorkshire

BRYON of Birmingham, Warwickshire

HICKMAN of Birmingham, Warwickshire

LOWDON of Newcastle-upon-Tyne, Northumberland; County Durham; Alston, Cumberland

GRIFFITHS; Bilston,Staffordshire

Offline Colin Y

• -
  • RootsChat Senior
  • Uncle Fred - England 1908 - POW 1914-19 - Bilbao
    • View Profile
Re: FRYER Family
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 19 April 09 17:20 BST (UK) »
Hi

I was interested to note your search.

M y great Grandmother was Emily (Elizabeth) Pentland née Fryer who was born in Ireland (I always thought at Camus Juxta Mourne which is in Co. Tyrone but now forms part of Strabane) on 1st December 1854 (1911 C confirms though some records suggested it was 1851!)

She married my Gt Grandfather, J G Pentland, on 22nd October 1870 at Shankill Church, Lurgan, Armagh, Ireland.

The same Census shows her brother Robert, then aged 80, was visiting her at the date of the Census and that he was 80, born in Antrim (ergo in 1830).

She had a relative known as Emmy Fryer who lived in Edinburgh as a live in nurse/confidant to a wealthy householder who left her comfortably off, so that she would visit the Midland family every few years and we were all expected to call upon her. I can only recall her as an elderly lady in the 1950s or 60s so say 70+? She would have been born in the last 30 years of the 19th century and again in Ulster we assume, though htere was said to be a Dunoon connection.

I have a picture of Emily with some of her then adult chidren in the 1930s.

Her parents were - I thought - a William and a Lydia?

Colin

YARWOOD in Warks/Ches but also London, Northants, Lincs, USA and Australia.
PENTLAND in Warks/Staffs/Yorks, Arm IRL: Chch NZ post 1884 and SCO pre 1800.
COLLINS aka COLLERIN , GALLAGHER & COX [RC] Highgate, Small Heath, Birmingham 1840-, Mayo IRL bef.
FRYER/FRIAR Lurgan Armagh, Edin & Glasgow SCO
BROOKES WH & WFP RA WW1 & 2
NEWSON & 'WATTS' Felixstow SFK, NZ,
HORTON, Surgn  Warwicks. FORTESCUE
PARKER, Charles, 1800-1853 Milit.Ornament Manuf. Aston, Gravelly Hill, Birmingham,

Offline Brendan Joseph

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 20 April 09 15:12 BST (UK) »
Interesting will in the Cork Archives:

Fryer Will U308
Last Will and Testament of Thomas Fryer, Belfast. 30. 9. 1843.
Refers inter alia to property in Kinsale.

Brendan

Offline Colin Y

• -
  • RootsChat Senior
  • Uncle Fred - England 1908 - POW 1914-19 - Bilbao
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 20 April 09 17:10 BST (UK) »
Hi

I saw the earlier note to that effect but as yet I cant see the connection or access to the Will on line?

My connection may be Robert Fryer because my Grt Grandmother, Emily Pentland née Fryer, who lived in the general Aston Ecclesiastical Parish which is and was in 1911 a part of Birmingham (Proper original name is Aston Juxta Birmingham), as I said had an 80 year old brother staying as a visitor on the night of the 1911 census. He was Robert Fyer a widower born 'in Atrim, Ireland in 1831.

Emily was 23 years younger than her brother and said she was born in Armagh, Ireland.

Any thoughts?

Colin
YARWOOD in Warks/Ches but also London, Northants, Lincs, USA and Australia.
PENTLAND in Warks/Staffs/Yorks, Arm IRL: Chch NZ post 1884 and SCO pre 1800.
COLLINS aka COLLERIN , GALLAGHER & COX [RC] Highgate, Small Heath, Birmingham 1840-, Mayo IRL bef.
FRYER/FRIAR Lurgan Armagh, Edin & Glasgow SCO
BROOKES WH & WFP RA WW1 & 2
NEWSON & 'WATTS' Felixstow SFK, NZ,
HORTON, Surgn  Warwicks. FORTESCUE
PARKER, Charles, 1800-1853 Milit.Ornament Manuf. Aston, Gravelly Hill, Birmingham,

Offline Brendan Joseph

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 20 April 09 17:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Colin,

It is not available online, if you Google using www.google.ie you will find it also a fair bit on a Charles Fryer who lived in Kinsale.

Brendan

Offline rprfryer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 21 April 09 21:14 BST (UK) »
Colin,

Thank you, very much, for your information, which was new to me, about Emily Elizabeth Fryer Pentland.

It seems that her parents could be the same William Fryer, Officer of Excise, of Derby, Derbyshire, England, and Lydia (Fryer) that I have previously, tenuously, identified as possible relatives of mine.

However, it is not yet clear whether they are actually related to my great great grandfather, Thomas Fryer, excise officer, who was born somewhere in Ireland, his son, Robert Fryer, who was born in Kinsale, County Cork, about 1838, and Major General John Fryer who was the Officer in Command, Cork Military District, Cork, County Cork, from October 01, 1893.

Another interesting aspect of your information is that Emily Elizabeth Fryer Pentland was living in Aston, Birmingham, Warwickshire, as were my immediate ancestors.

The large number, in the Midlands, of, at this time, seemingly unrelated Fryer family branches is a complicating factor in our ability to “stitch the family quilt”.

I have entered your information into my Legacy Family Tree 5.0 Fryer family database.

Regards, R. Paul R. Fryer
FRYER of Wellington, Shropshire; Aston, Birmingham, Warwickshire

REDMAYNE of Benwell, Northumberland; Newcastle-upon-Tyne, Northumberland; Gateshead-on-Tyne, Durham; Roker, Sunderland, Durham; Brathay Hall, Lancashire; Camden Town, Middlesex; Kentish Town, Middlesex; Ingleton, Yorkshire; Giggleswick, Yorkshire

BRYON of Birmingham, Warwickshire

HICKMAN of Birmingham, Warwickshire

LOWDON of Newcastle-upon-Tyne, Northumberland; County Durham; Alston, Cumberland

GRIFFITHS; Bilston,Staffordshire

Offline Brendan Joseph

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 21 April 09 21:54 BST (UK) »
My Granduncle was also an Excise officer before they became the Customs & Excise, he had children in Bandon, Co. Cork, Fermoy Co. Cork, Stourport in Warwickshire and Liverpool in Lancashire, he worked in Liverpool at their Training College.

I understand that the National Archives in Kew have full records for Excise employees, I look forward to researching them.

If someone gets there before me, I am researching Charles John McCarthy and his son Denis Finbar McCarthy who lived early 1900's in Everton, Liverpool.

Sorry is that the team that beat Man Utd this weekend in a penalty shootout.

Brendan

Offline celtic liberty

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Allihies, West Cork, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 27 April 10 00:02 BST (UK) »
Have a photo of a Fryer vault at St. Multose church Kinsale which I took yesterday.  The names are Henry C Fryer d 28 Oct 1892 and his wife Mary Eleanor d  23 Dec 1923.
Unable to attach photo as it says file too large, if you want to send me a PM with your email address I can send it to you.

Mary
Bradfield, Buckley, Capels,Cronin, Desmond, Leonard, Lombard,Mullins, O'Brien,

Offline celtic liberty

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Allihies, West Cork, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 30 April 10 22:26 BST (UK) »
Photo  as promised
Bradfield, Buckley, Capels,Cronin, Desmond, Leonard, Lombard,Mullins, O'Brien,