Author Topic: James Carey married Phoebe Boys 1803  (Read 5935 times)

Offline raeleen

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: James Carey married Phoebe Boys 1803
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 23 April 17 10:22 BST (UK) »
Hi
I come from New Zealand and descend from James & Phoebe Carey's line.  I would be interested in whatever you may have found out for James & Phoebe Carey and his other siblings if that would be possible.  We have had the tree done and "passed" around family members here for a number of years but have recently discovered the error that has been made as well.  Our tree has also had James coming from John & Mary when in fact we discovered James had come from William. 
So anything that you might be able to share would be great. 

Thanks,  Raeleen

Offline carolhulton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 24 April 17 10:56 BST (UK) »
Any luck?

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 24 April 17 16:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Raeleen and Carol

I have since I started this thread back in 2008, found that James is not in my direct line so haven't done any more research on him.

However I am pretty sure that the trees on Ancestry are all complete %(£(£(£  He was not the son of John and Mary Badcock. 

On the Sussex Family History Group (very worth joining if you have family in Sussex and very cheap) database there is a James Carey baptised 29 July 1781 to William and Mary Carey.

It could be that this William is the same William I have on my tree baptised in Hooe in 1739, son of Thomas and Elizabeth Wenham.  However Careys are quite common in Sussex.  Also baptised in Buxted to William and Mary are:
Sarah 26 December 1769
Mary 27 October 1771
William 25 May 1774
Mary 25 May 1774
John 23 June 1776
Thomas 26 March 1779

The Sussex Marriage Index doesn't have a marriage between a William and a Mary in the right timeframe  :-\

Sorry I can't be of any more help than this

Kerry
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline carolhulton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 25 April 17 09:24 BST (UK) »
Thank you Kerry for your kind assistance

Hitting the old brick wall is a little frustrating , have joined the Sussex group as recommended

Carol

Offline Human51

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 25 April 17 22:09 BST (UK) »
William Carey married Mary Booker at Sevenoaks, Kent on 7 December 1767.
Their daughter Sarah Carey was baptised at Buxted 26 December 1769.

Mary Booker came from Buxted, baptised 29 May 1743, daughter of William and Sarah.

William Carey baptised at Hooe, Sussex 17 February 1740, son of Thomas Carey and Elizabeth (Wenham).

Lots of people on Ancestry have a marriage between a William Carey and a Mary at St Leonards parish, Shoreditch, London. Probably they are confusing St Leonards parish with the place St Leonards-on-Sea in Sussex.
I really can't understand why people just copy trees on Ancestry without checking. They end up with a tree full of people to whom they are not related!

Best wishes
Caroline
Sussex: Honneysett, Pankhurst, Dann, Leaney, Selmes, Boon.
Surrey: Troughton
Essex; Lazell, Layzell and variants
Suffolk: Clary/Clarry, Smith
Galway, Ireland and Massachusetts, USA: Shaughnessy. O'Shaughnessy
Glasgow: Edwards

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 26 April 17 14:34 BST (UK) »
Brilliant Caroline, thank you, I'll check that marriage in Sevenoaks out. 

So William father of James is the brother of John who is my direct ancestor. 

Totally agree with you about copying trees on Ancestry and it seems to be getting worse.  I can't understand why anyone would want to research their family tree and not do it properly and check everything.  But maybe its just because I have very high standards for myself!!

Now if only we could find proof of who Thomas Carey was!

Kerryb

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 26 April 17 14:49 BST (UK) »
Found the marriage on FindMyPast.

Did you know that there is a child Elizabeth baptised at Sevenoaks to William Carey on 21 February 1768, found that on familysearch.org.  I wonder if that is a first child for William and Mary?

Kerry

Offline Human51

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 27 April 17 17:19 BST (UK) »
Hello Kerry
Excellent, thank you - I hadn't seen that baptism for Elizabeth 1768 at Sevenoaks. I looked on FamilySearch but it didn't come up. Whereabouts did you find it?
I would guess that she was their first child as they married in December 1767.
I've had no luck either with a baptism or parents for Thomas.

My interest in the Careys is really to try to find out the origins of John Carey who married Elizabeth Carter at Battle in 1800. There's no baptism for him at Battle and no other clues to his birthplace so I'm looking at all the John Careys in the area of the right age group to see if there is one who might fit the bill e.g to see if there is a 'spare one' for whom there isn't a marriage and death. The John Carey at Battle was born c1775 (age 63 when he arrived in the USA in 1838). Many people think he's the son of Walter Carey and Sarah Hicks but I'm not convinced!

Best wishes
Caroline
Sussex: Honneysett, Pankhurst, Dann, Leaney, Selmes, Boon.
Surrey: Troughton
Essex; Lazell, Layzell and variants
Suffolk: Clary/Clarry, Smith
Galway, Ireland and Massachusetts, USA: Shaughnessy. O'Shaughnessy
Glasgow: Edwards

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 28 April 17 10:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Caroline

No weirdly if you search for Elizabeth it doesn't come up but I searched for William Carey, marriage place - Sevenoaks, Kent 1767-1769 and then below the marriages it was amongst a number of baptisms. 

The citation for the record is "England, Kent, Parish Registers, 1538-1911," database with images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QKJ6-M18Z : 16 December 2015), William Carey in entry for Elizabeth, 21 Feb 1768; citing Christening, Sevenoaks, Kent, England, Kent Archives Office, Maidstone; FHL microfilm 1,473,691.

Kerry