Author Topic: Edermine ancient cemetery  (Read 5674 times)

Offline elemef

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Edermine ancient cemetery
« on: Tuesday 22 July 08 22:09 BST (UK) »
The seat of my FURLONG family are based on Jamestown, Oylgate, Enniscorthy. Members of my family are buried in the ancient graveyard at Edermine. There was once a church on the site but was demolished many years ago. It is my hope that this was a parish church and that the birth, marriage, and burial registers have been deposited somewhere. Can anybody point me in the right direction.

I would also be pleased to hear from any Furlong family members, and I believe we have a family connection with the O'Briens of Oylgate, Enniscorthy. 

Laurence

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Edermine ancient cemetery
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 22 July 08 22:24 BST (UK) »
What religion were the family- Church of Ireland or Roman Catholic?- both have parish churches. If the graveyard is very, very old it is possible that all denominations might have been buried there.

There is this site which may be of interest if you haven't seen it yet (1837):
www.from-ireland.net/wex/lewis/edermine.htm

Here's a bit about Roman Catholic records in that area:
www.from-ireland.net/wex/wexrcindex.htm
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline elemef

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 23 July 08 21:41 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for your speedy response. I now understand this very small burial ground in question is named 'Garrenisk' and was of mixed denomination. Many of the burials date from mid 1700 to mid 1800.  It is situated on the Enniscorthy to Oylgate Road, at Edermine and when last seen, it looked in an abandoned state. However, I feel the original burial registers must have been deposited somewhere - it is possible they are in the custody of the present non-Catholic church in the area - does anybody have a name?  More help needed please.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 23 July 08 22:05 BST (UK) »
Not sure about this particular burying ground but most of the ones like this would not have had very many written records. It might be a case that each clergyman kept records of the burials he performed but that might not be th case. At the present time the local council might be responsible for maintaining the property (maybe just cutting the grass/weeds once a year). If your family were Catholic I suggest contacting the local priest to ask about early burials/records, if they were Church of Ireland contact the rector, etc.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline tomahurra

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 10 November 11 19:25 GMT (UK) »
This cemetery is called Garrynisk cemetery - many people from the Shannon area of Enniscorthy were buried there. It is located just on
It is located just off the main N11 Road from Enniscorthy to Oilgate on the left

Online Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 16 September 16 00:42 BST (UK) »
The seat of my FURLONG family are based on Jamestown, Oylgate, Enniscorthy. Members of my family are buried in the ancient graveyard at Edermine. There was once a church on the site but was demolished many years ago. It is my hope that this was a parish church and that the birth, marriage, and burial registers have been deposited somewhere.

Laurence

While this is an old post, your recent queries about the same topics show that there may be some benefit to expanding on aghadowey's and other responses. The missing aspect is that in my experience there basically aren't any historic burial records for specific graveyards. The old graveyards are typically 800 to 1000 or more years old! The lack of cemetery specific records is true is true for both Catholic and CofI denominations - typically there are many old graveyards within each Catholic parish or CofI union.

Instead, where records exist (which is not all that often), they tend to be a chronological list of deaths in the parish. There may be some that specify which graveyard the burial was in, but I don't think this is typical.  Even some of the modern (post 1898), urban district/corporation run cemeteries continued to lack such systematic records!- e.g. New Ross, as far as I know.

A separate point is that Edermine was a parish of the established church. So, even if the records were still extant (which they aren't), then your ancestors would not be in them anyway, as I believe you have indicated that they were Catholic.

As for Edermine church itself, I believe it was located in the townland of "Glebe", i.e. it was not officially located in Garrynisk. The source of the comment on the medieval church being demolished can be found on pages 96-97 of Vol. 2 of the Ordnance Survey Letters for Co. Wexford, dated 1840, see
http://www.askaboutireland.ie/reading-room/digital-book-collection/digital-books-by-subject/ordnance-survey-of-irelan/
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area