Author Topic: Maidstone parish registers 1790-1803 - Paddock  (Read 3397 times)

Offline Dinkydidy

• RootsChat Senior
  • When I WAS dinky.
    • View Profile
Maidstone parish registers 1790-1803 - Paddock
« on: Wednesday 23 July 08 01:22 BST (UK) »
I am looking for any marriages for a William Paddock and Elizabeth or Phillis/Philadelphia in the Maidstone area. The only William Paddock marriage I have been able to find was to Sarah Winham 21 June 1790. I can't find any children for them, nor Sarah's death.

However, there is a William Paddock chr. 18 Nov 1798, parents William and Elizabeth (can't find their marriage, any other children nor Elizabeth's death) and a Peter Paddock chr. 3 May 1801, parents William and Phillis (again, no marriage nor any other references to a William and "Phillis", although she may or may not actually be Philadelphia).

Between 1803 and 1814 William and Philadelphia are recorded as the parents of six other children.

I have only had access to filmed Bishops Transcripts of All Saints for the above information and wonder if the actual registers may be more helpful.

Thank you,
Didy

Online bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Maidstone parish registers 1790-1803 - Paddock
« Reply #1 on: Friday 25 July 08 15:54 BST (UK) »
Maidstone, All Saints, marriages are included in the Mid Kent Marriage Index.

http://www.woodchurchancestry.org.uk/midkentmarriages/index.php

The only PADDOCK marriage I can see is

21 June 1790 William PADDOCK to Sarah WENHAM

There don't seem to be many PADDOCKS around. :(
Middx - VAUS, ROBERTS, EVERSFIELD, INMAN, STAR, HOLBECK, WYATT, BICKFORD, SMITH, REDWOOD
Hants - SMALL, HAMMERTON, GRIST, FRYER, TRODD, DAGWELL, PARKER, WOODFORD, CROUTEAR, BECK, BENDELL, KEEPING, HARDING, BULL
Kent - BAYLY, BORER, MITCHELL, PLANE, VERNON, FARRANCE, CHAPMAN, MEDHURST, LOMAX, WYATT, IDEN
Devon - TOPE, BICKFORD, FOSTER
YKS - QUIRK, McGUIRE, BENN
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE
 All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Dinkydidy

• RootsChat Senior
  • When I WAS dinky.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 26 July 08 01:08 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that terrific reference, bearkat. I have been busy looking at some possibilities, but no luck so far.  :(

I was aware that two of William's children, Henry and James, had also used other surnames from time to time, and hoped that one of those names might turn up a marriage for William.

The main alternative name is Dunmill, which Henry used as a middle name at his marriage and when registering a number of his children in South Australia. Both Henry and James came to S.A., but James used Dunmill exclusively as his surname here, with Paddick as a middle name.

The other possibility is Sealy and its variations. James Paddick married Ann David at Maidstone in Dec 1833, but a month earlier a James "Sealy" and Ann David were witnesses at his brother Henry's marriage. One of Henry's grandsons later adopted the name Sealy as his christian name, although it was not registered.

Furthermore, I had been unable to find Henry and his wife Maria's first three children in Kent under the Paddick/Paddock surname, but there are three who fit perfectly under the names Seeley/Sealey/Sealy. There is also a daughter of James and Ann Sealy christened in 1836.

There don't appear to be any other "real" James or Henry Sealys in the area at the time.

If you're confused by all this, imagine how I feel!   :o   ???

I guess it will all come back to William's or even Philadelphia's parentage, which I still don't know. With the possibilities of mother's maiden name, illegitimate birth and subsequent marriage, or legitimate birth and a later stepfather.......

The way things are going, William might have married under another name I haven't come across yet.    ???

Didy

Offline Dinkydidy

• RootsChat Senior
  • When I WAS dinky.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 26 July 08 01:54 BST (UK) »
Another example of the family's liking for alternative surnames is Peter Paddock, chr. 3 May 1801, son of William and "Phillis", who married Rebecca Palmer at All Saints, Maidstone, 12 Oct 1828.

Although christened without a middle name, he is Peter Dunmill Paddick at his marriage. However, children are christened with Dunmill as the surname, e.g. 8 Dec 1833, Thomas Palmer, son of Peter & Rebecca Dunmill.

Also, Diana Paddock (chr. 12 Nov 1806) seems to have been married with the surname Dunmill on 19 Aug 1827 to William Bell.

I wouldn't mind if all these clues led somewhere, but at the moment it is just confusing.

Didy

Online bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 26 July 08 09:25 BST (UK) »
You've certainly got a puzzle on your hands.  Having one alias wasn't uncommon because of illegitimacy or mother's remarriage but 2 aliases is going to give you a headache.
Middx - VAUS, ROBERTS, EVERSFIELD, INMAN, STAR, HOLBECK, WYATT, BICKFORD, SMITH, REDWOOD
Hants - SMALL, HAMMERTON, GRIST, FRYER, TRODD, DAGWELL, PARKER, WOODFORD, CROUTEAR, BECK, BENDELL, KEEPING, HARDING, BULL
Kent - BAYLY, BORER, MITCHELL, PLANE, VERNON, FARRANCE, CHAPMAN, MEDHURST, LOMAX, WYATT, IDEN
Devon - TOPE, BICKFORD, FOSTER
YKS - QUIRK, McGUIRE, BENN
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE
 All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline phenolphthalein

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 21 September 16 05:39 BST (UK) »
I know this is a very late answer.

Do you know who were witnesses at Ann David and James's marriage?
Or Peter's marriage to Rebecca?

If James Sealy was then he might be just a church official
or another relative eg Uncle, cousin, brother-in-law etc.

Offline Dinkydidy

• RootsChat Senior
  • When I WAS dinky.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 22 September 16 09:13 BST (UK) »
The witnesses at Ann David and James Paddick's marriage were Henry and Maria Paddick. I think the brothers were each other's witnesses. They seemed to be close to each other and emigrated to South Australia together.

Since my original post , I have obtained the birth certificate for the one "Sealey" child born after the commencement of registration, in July 1837. Philadelphia Sealey's parents are Henry Sealey and Maria Sealey, formerly Cradduck. Henry Dunmill Paddick & Maria Cradduck married at Maidstone 13 Nov 1833.

I think this confirms their use of the Sealey name, but I'm no closer to knowing why.  :-\