Author Topic: DAVIS and HALL families  (Read 10807 times)

Offline fionajka

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: DAVIS and HALL families
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 12 October 10 10:18 BST (UK) »
So that answers the question you had about whether Jane HALL had a brother Thomas born c. 1825 - as she was born 1825 (age 20 in 1845) it doesn't seem that she would have unless there is another date for the Thomas you were wondering about or if they were twins.... what did your friends who had the High st Presbyterian Records for Lurgan say about Thomas' birth date? Just correct me if I sound like a foreigner here - but the COI and Presbyterian ARE different aren't they? because I'm getting a little confused as to what birth record for Jane you mean.

We need something that ties both Jane and 'brother' Thomas to Andrew HALL

Husband William DAVIS same birth date (year)

Also answers the question about the marriage date and place and church....

What was the death info you mentioned about Andrew HALL dying in Lisnisky?

Offline doylers94

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 12 October 10 16:52 BST (UK) »
thanks thats great and its definetly Andrew father and Legacorry with neighbour witness Livingstone now just need to find siblings??
Areas Lurgan and neighbouring townlands in the Parishes of Shankill and Seagoe, Toomebridge County Antrim, Queens County New York, Hartford Connecticut, Michigan USA. Names Doyle McElroy Pollock  Harte Neill Hall Mc Cully Wright Boyle Murray Mc Conaghy Mc Cann Brown Patterson Carson Hines Lauder Waters Watson Hendron Tweedy Warnock

Offline Hall and MacCormac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 22 December 14 19:50 GMT (UK) »
Fiona I have done quite a bit on the Lurgan Halls. The only Andrew  having children during the 1820s is Andrew from legacurry (legahory) who died lisnisky I found Janes marriage on emerald ancestors and think I confirmed this on family search. An old friend of mine has the High st Presbyterian Records for Lurgan and she found the Thomas and Jane births and dates. I have access on a regular basis to Shankill COI and the only 1820s Jane Hall is the daughter of Joseph Hall and Ann Atkinson from Toberhewney who married William John hall and moved to NSW Austraila. I spent some time last week with Cathy Hall from Melbourne (one of her clan)  My Halls seemed to jump between the Presbyterian and Shankill COI My grandfather was baptised High St Prebyterian but all his siblings at COI. I can check Janes marriage entry in Shankill to see if witnesses shed any light. I think Jane and Thomas had a brother who ended up in Govan but havent verified that He was married to Teresa Osborne and I think hes in the 1871 Census of Scotland. Did you get the birth date of Jane from a parish record or from working backwards from another document?? Let me know what you think I am happy to do the local running about to get to the bottom of this  :) Ann PS I think we may be connected too to Joseph and Ann above as the names keep repeating and these men are clustered in a way that may mean they are brothers but this will take some work.

I am descended from Colonel Joseph Hall of 'Hall Place' in Lurgan, County Armagh, who was said to have been a prosperous distiller with additional farmland. He invested in property with his son in law, John MacCormac (d. 1811), and was the grandfather of Dr Henry MacCormac (1800-1886), whose mother was a Hall-Mary Ann Hall (1766-1846). I read in the Belfast Journal that Joseph Hall may have fallen on hard times and this may explain why the Halls were not associated with a distillery later on.

If anyone can provide direct information on the origins of this Hall family (or indeed the MacCormac family) in the eighteenth and seventeenth century, that would be helpful. The origins of the Hall family and MacCormacs are unclear-but both, particularly the Halls, were quite well-to-do- seemingly