Author Topic: Offer to photograph gravestones in Earlston Churchyard  (Read 3714 times)

Offline terry h

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • With Mum x
    • View Profile
Offer to photograph gravestones in Earlston Churchyard
« on: Wednesday 23 July 08 15:59 BST (UK) »
If you know you have a family gravestone in Earlston Churchyard (Berwickshire) and live too far away to get a photograph I am willing to do it for you (weather permitting) just give me the details.

Terry
g grandfather Thomas Borthwick 11/11/1882 - KIA 25/9/1915 aged 33 Kings Own Scottish Borderers

Brothers & cousins to Thomas (Both KIA same day)
Robert Johnstone Borthwick 1898 - KIA 24/3/1918 aged 21 North Staffordshire Regiment

George Lowden Borthwick 1899 - KIA 24/3/1918 aged 19 Royal Scots Fusiliers

gr Uncle Walter Combe b1893 - KIA 12/7/1915 aged 22  Kings Own Scottish Borderers

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright  GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline spandorah

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Offer to photograph gravestones in Earlston Churchyard
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 20 February 10 16:21 GMT (UK) »
Are you still ok for photographing gravesones at Earlston Churchyard.  I am interested in the Scott Family. George Scott and Janet Pringle but any Scott and Pringle would be great, just joined Roots chat and saw your post. Hope you are still out there.

Offline terry h

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • With Mum x
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 20 February 10 16:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi Spandorah,

Welcome to Roots, yes I can do that for you. I'll pm you when I get the photos taken.

Terry
g grandfather Thomas Borthwick 11/11/1882 - KIA 25/9/1915 aged 33 Kings Own Scottish Borderers

Brothers & cousins to Thomas (Both KIA same day)
Robert Johnstone Borthwick 1898 - KIA 24/3/1918 aged 21 North Staffordshire Regiment

George Lowden Borthwick 1899 - KIA 24/3/1918 aged 19 Royal Scots Fusiliers

gr Uncle Walter Combe b1893 - KIA 12/7/1915 aged 22  Kings Own Scottish Borderers

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright  GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline spandorah

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 21 February 10 07:17 GMT (UK) »
Hello, just logged on and saw you replied straight away. Thanks. Looking forward to receiving some pics. Hope the weather is ok for you.

Offline spandorah

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 21 February 10 07:37 GMT (UK) »
Just realised I made a mistake on my first reply. My GGG Grandfather was George Scott married to Betty Pringle. One of his brothers married a Janet Pringle, Janet and Betty were sisters. 

I think there are other brothers who travelled to Austrailia as my GGrandfather emigrated and my grandmother was born there, coming back to claim inheritance which failed to materialise.

Family stories say that we are related to Sir Walter Scott, not direct decendants but would like to try and link up somehow. Maybe you could suggest look ups.

Thanks
Spandorah

Offline chrissiecal

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 03 July 17 14:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Terry H and Spandorah,
I am new to Rootsweb and I have just come across your posts about photographing headstones in the Graveyard at Earlston, Berwickshire.
Firstly, Terry, I have a headstone in the graveyard - Thomas Scott and his wife Ann Reid, together with their son George Pringle Scott. Thomas died in 1855, Ann in 1846 and George between 1837 and 1843. I hope you can help me, please. I know it is there as I have in my possession a very out of focus shot of it.
Spandorah, Thomas is the son of  George Scott and Betty Pringle. He was one of the sons who went to Tasmania, but after marrying Ann Reid (my great-great-great-aunt), he returned to Scotland with her, leaving his brothers James and George in Tasmania to manage his affairs. My source, a distant cousin, who researched the Reid family and thus the Scotts quite extensively, maintains that they are indeed related to Sir Walter Scott!
Cheers,
Christine Calabria