Author Topic: Northiam Parish Records-TREE  (Read 14899 times)

Offline judt

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Northiam Parish Records-TREE
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 01 November 09 09:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi Andrea

Thank you for your response.  The marriage of Griffiths Tree and Elizabeth King is listed in the IGI, but with no reliable source information, so I am pleased to have this confirmed.

The Northiam area appears to be in Kent at the time of the 1851 census, so I now search both Kent and Sussex for info.

I will investigate joining the Sussex FHS.  Thanks for the tip.

Regards
Judy

Offline swebby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 01 November 09 10:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi Judy,

I have found the marriage !
It is on the Mid-Kent Marriages Site.
9 July 1792 Elizabeth Ashdown m William Tree in the Parish of Woodchurch Tenterden District of Kent.

Regards
Sean
Webb (Sussex), Barham (Sussex, Norfolk/Suffolk), Day (Somerset), Rowett(Somerset, Cornwall), White (Leighlinbridge), Deane (Roscommon), Quinn (Roscommon)

Offline judt

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 01 November 09 11:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sean

Thanks heaps for the info.  This all seems to fit really well and has helped greatly.

Regards

Judy 

Offline timaussie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 18 November 09 00:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi Judy,
What is your connection to William Tree / Elizabeth Ashdown and Griffess Tree/Elizabeth King? Iam through Lois daughter of GT/EK
I have confirmed the 1Jul1833 marriage of Griffess Tree/Elizabeth King from the parish church records of Rye, Sussex (LDS film-1067289). The record does not give much further details except "both of this parish" and they were "batchlor/Spinster". Both signed their names. Witnesses all signed: Daniel Tree, Maria King, Martha King, Mary Tree.
A search of Rye parish records indicates this is the place of the Kings but not the Trees.
The only reference of Elizabeth Ashdown like you was on the Aust. death cert of Griffess Tree in 1870. Informant was his daughter.
I have also found the web info on WT/EA marriage in Woodchurch, Kent but it has no baptisms for Tree or Ashdown so not sure where to go next with this.
Regards,Tim
LUCAS-Hampshire, GREENER-Hampshire/Berkshire, COOPER-Middlesex, TAYLOR-Surrey, MORGAN-Llanedy, CLEMENT-Landilotalybont & Llandebie, JONES-Llandebie, LEWIS-Llanegwed-Carm/Morriston-Glam/Cwmavon-Glam, HODGSON-Staffordshire

Offline judt

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 18 November 09 03:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tim

My relationship to Griffiths Tree(s) and Elizabeth King is through their 2nd son, Alfred James Tree(s).

The info you mention from the parish records fits in with the other data that I have found.  Is the LDS record an actual image of the parish record, or just a more detailed index?  Was his christian name spelt Griffiths or Griffess in this record?

I have an obituary for Griffess Trees published in The Christian Advocate in Sep 1870 listing his date of birth as 3 Sep 1808.  Presumably this information was given by Elizabeth King, so hopefully is accurate.

Do you have any more information on the Kings?  Because this is a fairly common name, I'm not very confident that the information I have is correct. 

As more and more data becomes available over the Internet all the time, I just keep looking in the hope that the information will magically appear.  However, searching for the surname 'Tree' can be like looking for the needle in the haystack.

Regards

Judy

Offline timaussie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 05 December 09 11:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi Judy,
Great to find another 'Trees' branch researcher. We can now continue to share info directly via regular email if you wish rather than through this forum. You can contact me direct to start with by clicking on the blue 'timaussie' and in my profile under additional information click on 'send this rootchatter a personal message'.
The marriage of GT/EK has him recorded as Griffiths but he signed his name Griffess. Also the baptisms of first children were recorded as William Griffess and Sarah Elizabeth with father Griffess. These spellings are as recorded from actual images of parish records. I can send them to you. I have managed to also work out some of the King tree which I can share.
I have heard of the obituary you mention but would be interested in seeing a copy.
Regards,Tim
LUCAS-Hampshire, GREENER-Hampshire/Berkshire, COOPER-Middlesex, TAYLOR-Surrey, MORGAN-Llanedy, CLEMENT-Landilotalybont & Llandebie, JONES-Llandebie, LEWIS-Llanegwed-Carm/Morriston-Glam/Cwmavon-Glam, HODGSON-Staffordshire

Offline Tjtrees

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 25 April 12 14:54 BST (UK) »
Hi guys I found this thread while randomly searching the Internet for information on my great grandfather x3 griffess trees.although I am 3 yrs too late. Any information you may have found in the meantime would be great. I've tried to pm you both but the option won't come up. Hoping to hear from someone. Thanks

Offline judt

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 27 April 12 05:59 BST (UK) »
What info are you looking for regarding Griffess Trees?

Judy

Offline Tjtrees

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 28 April 12 01:30 BST (UK) »
Mainly who his parents are etc. I've hit a road block on ancestry .com