Author Topic: Registration of marriages----Cape Town--S.A  (Read 11805 times)

Offline suzyvan

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Registration of marriages----Cape Town--S.A
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 14 September 08 05:03 BST (UK) »
Hello Leanne68,
Thank you for your help you have been so very generous of your time.
......Love your little twig on the side......
I will have to find a way of getting or seeing if there is a marriage registered in Cape Town,  South Africa...it's my only hope now of ever resolving this brick wall.
Keep up the good work it is just so helpful bouncing of others.
Thank you again
Suzy

Offline Leanne68

• RootsChat Member
  • The next generation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 14 September 08 09:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Suzy,

I think it might well be worth mailing Ellen to see whether she has done any Cape Town marriage transcriptions.  Not all of her work has been uploaded.

She is such a helpful lady and has been so incredibly generous to the South African genealogy community.

Happy hunting!
Leanne
ENG - Bath, Blacker, Brockman, Brook, Bundock, Cains, Davenport+, Earle, Edmonds^,Fletcher, Hinds, Holehouse, Holliday+, Jackson*, Laver+, Leach*,Litt^, Oxenham, Pirie*, Radford, Robinson, Staples*, Starkey+, Tarr*, Toye, Warner*, Whiffen, White, Wooley, Wright
IRE - Barnes, Caples, Hurst, McNamara, Quirk, Ryan, Towell, Wilson
SCOT - Craig, Davidson, Hervie, Kerr, McCallum, McFarlane, Reid, Robinson, Thorburn, Wright

* 1820 to Cape of Good Hope
^ 1841-1853 to Vict, Aus
+ 1860's to QLD, Aus

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 14 September 08 11:30 BST (UK) »
Only army marriages which were conducted by an army chaplain would be registered at the GRO. Local church marriages would not be found in the GRO indexes. However not all army chaplain marriages have been indexed by the GRO, so if you know the regiment you can request the GRO to search that regiment's marriage index for the period of interest.

' If you are unable to find your ancestors in these records you should note that the Overseas department of the General Registry Office also holds additional records of regimental marriages taking place between 1761 and 1924 that have never been indexed.'

http://www.findmypast.com/helpadvice/knowledge-base/overseas-military/

Even if discharge papers no longer survive for Robert Anderson (WO97 has been checked?), if you know his regiment his service can be traced through the regimental muster books which may give additional information on his attestation and death (if he died when still in service).

Regards

Valda
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline suzyvan

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 15 September 08 09:33 BST (UK) »
Hi  Valda and List,
I have taken.... Leanne68....  advise to contact Ellen Stanton, already have a responce and 3 film numbers to  order...... that should/could  have the marriage record on them.  .....Keep your fingers crossed!

Regarding army records at WO97 that has already been searched and not anything concrete was found, the other problem he kept changing his regiment name, this is info received from a very helpful gentleman of military thread.

>>>>>>>Medal roll and it says that 3763 Sergeant Robert Anderson earned the Queens South Africa medal with clasps for Orange Free State, Transvaal, South Africa 1901 and SA 1902. He was serving with the 1st Battalion of the Black Watch/Royal Highlanders<<<<<<<<

Thank you all
Suzy

Offline suzyvan

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 12 November 08 23:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi All,
I at last have my marriage certificate from Cape Town South Africa........fantastic!

[I have taken.... Leanne68....  advise to contact Ellen Stanton, already have a responce and 3 film numbers to  order...... that should/could  have the marriage record on them] Ellen even suggested the film it maybe on and bingo there it was!

Thanks to all who responded with great suggestions, keep up the fantastic work.
From a very satisfied and grateful customer!
Suzy

Offline Leanne68

• RootsChat Member
  • The next generation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 13 November 08 07:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi Suzy,

Great work!  Ordering and viewing the LDS films is not the easiest process and one has to keep fingers crossed that the records you are looking for are somewhat easy to read.

I'm curious to know whether the 1895 certificate listed parents and other details.

best wishes
Leanne
ENG - Bath, Blacker, Brockman, Brook, Bundock, Cains, Davenport+, Earle, Edmonds^,Fletcher, Hinds, Holehouse, Holliday+, Jackson*, Laver+, Leach*,Litt^, Oxenham, Pirie*, Radford, Robinson, Staples*, Starkey+, Tarr*, Toye, Warner*, Whiffen, White, Wooley, Wright
IRE - Barnes, Caples, Hurst, McNamara, Quirk, Ryan, Towell, Wilson
SCOT - Craig, Davidson, Hervie, Kerr, McCallum, McFarlane, Reid, Robinson, Thorburn, Wright

* 1820 to Cape of Good Hope
^ 1841-1853 to Vict, Aus
+ 1860's to QLD, Aus

Offline suzyvan

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 13 November 08 08:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi Leanne68,
>>>>>I'm curious to know whether the 1895 certificate listed parents and other details.<<<<<<
It included ages, condition, Consent by whom given or judge order!!
In my case he was a soldier; of full age; she was age twenty so given permission by her guardian, whom I had never heard of! also had witnesses and place of marriage; by banns; and name of minister; in this case Presbyterian; no parents unfortunately.
regards Suzy

Offline syme

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 22 February 09 05:43 GMT (UK) »
I would appreciate how I can obtain information on a marriage of a Alexander Thompson/Thomson and a Sarah Holmes. Both were probably from Scotland and married about 1890 in Cape Town. They had at least 6 children. The dates of birth of three of the children are known.

Offline suzyvan

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 22 February 09 07:31 GMT (UK) »

Hello Syme,
 it apparently was not compulsory to register marriages when overseas, but many were registered.
Findmypast.com provide access to the Overseas bmd's also GRO INDEX ARMY MARRIAGES (and Births and Deaths).
This index will give you Surname, Name, Station, year and Page number.
If you are lucky enough to find your ancestor, you can use this info to order the certificate from GRO.
I also contacted Ellen Stanton who kindly told me what film number to order and bingo found the long lost marriage. [will find her address for you]
I will send this and have a play around to find the address of Ellen and look in the indexes for you on FindMyPast.
Cheers Suzy