Author Topic: Death Huddersfield lookup please  (Read 6022 times)

Offline Olive H

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Death Huddersfield lookup please
« on: Saturday 26 July 08 12:40 BST (UK) »
Hi

I need to find the death record for a Clara Grayson who was born in 1862 and died in Huddersfield I believe, and was alive at the beginning of 1938 (aged abt 76) so died sometime thereafter. Other than that I don't really have any other info. Can some kind person please help me find a death record. Thanks in advance.

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Rosalie Mathilda Jönsson 1916-1999
    • View Profile
Re: Death Huddersfield lookup please
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 26 July 08 13:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Olive,

Welcome to Rootschat  :)

The free site freebmd is indexed but not fully transcribed, so for deaths in those later years you will need to search the records quarter by quarter. You can either use the pay-to-view sites like findmypast, or ancestry.co.uk, or use freebmd by going to the main page and click 'view images' at the bottom.  I've had a quick look from 1938-1939, but Clara could have lived well into her 80s which means a lot of records to go through.

Kind regards, Barbara  :)
`There are two lasting bequests we can give our children -  One is roots - the other is wings`- Hodding Carter

Census and bmd information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Lincs & Yorks - SIVILLS PREDGEN    Norfolk - EBBS WHITEROD ZIPFELL       Sweden - JÖNSSON CRONBERG ANDERSSON      Yorks - SPENCE HIDE HIRD      Durham - DALKIN SELBY RENWICK

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 26 July 08 13:49 BST (UK) »
Having said all that, I've just found one in 1940!

Clara Grayson aged 79
March Quarter 1940  Upper Agbrigg 9a 1421

If you wish to order the certificate, here's a list of Register Offices (Upper Agbrigg probably comes under Huddersfield)
http://www.ukbmd.org.uk/genuki/reg/regoff.html
or order from the General Register Office:
http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/

You can either ask the local register office to check for known details before you buy the certificate, or do the same at the GRO

a map showing Agbrigg :
http://www.genuki.org.uk/cgi-bin/gazplace?CCC=WRY,GR=SE344194,PLACE=AGBRIGG

Kind regards,
Barbara  :)
`There are two lasting bequests we can give our children -  One is roots - the other is wings`- Hodding Carter

Census and bmd information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Lincs & Yorks - SIVILLS PREDGEN    Norfolk - EBBS WHITEROD ZIPFELL       Sweden - JÖNSSON CRONBERG ANDERSSON      Yorks - SPENCE HIDE HIRD      Durham - DALKIN SELBY RENWICK

Offline Olive H

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 26 July 08 14:58 BST (UK) »
Thanks Barbara

Clara would have died at Storthes Hall and I 'm not sure where that is exactly with respect of Hudderfield itself or if that could be the right record for one who would have sadly died at Storthes Hall.  Do you think that is possible? Thanks so much for your help. I really appreciate it as that is the only lead I have and I expect poor Clara didn't live long after being moved there  :'(

Thank you so much..

Olive

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 26 July 08 15:12 BST (UK) »
I think it's a possibliity, although I don't know the Huddersfield area well.  If you contact the register office at the address given earlier they should be able to tell you before you buy the certificate.

A bit about Storthes Hall here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Storthes_Hall

Barbara

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 26 July 08 15:18 BST (UK) »
I believe Wakefield archives hold the Storthes Hall records, but there's apparently a 100year closure on patients' records, but maybe worth contacting the archivist to see if they can give any information:

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/a2a/records.aspx?cat=201-c416&cid=0#0
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/archon/searches/locresult_details.asp?LR=201
Barbara

Offline Olive H

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 26 July 08 15:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Barbara

Thank you so much, you have been a great help. I think this may be her as I think Storthes Hall falls under Kirkburton (edit*: have just checked your link and  yes it does so that has been a great help also) and I just found this page at FreeBMD:
Upper Agbrigg Registration District

and it looks like Kirkburton fell under that registration district for that time period.

I will contact the register office before I order as you have suggested Barbara.

You are a star Barbara, thanks again :)

I will contact Wakefield Records also:)
You have been brilliant. Thank you so much. 

Kindest regards
Olive

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 26 July 08 15:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Olive,

Please come back and post what you find out, it's always good to know if the information was helpful

Kind regards,
Barbara  :)

Offline Olive H

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 27 July 08 12:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Barbara

I hope to do so.
Thanks again :)
Kindest regards
Olive