Author Topic: Macaulay of Ardincaple  (Read 2527 times)

Offline pablo1

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Macaulay of Ardincaple
« on: Monday 28 July 08 06:52 BST (UK) »
I have been researching this family for many years now in hopes of locating the Chiefly line.  Anyone interested in this family please feel free to contact me or see my research on genforum.com/macaulay

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline keizerkarel

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Macaulay of Ardincaple
« Reply #1 on: Monday 04 September 17 16:43 BST (UK) »
LS,

I am interested in the MacAulay genealogy, regarding Ardincaple.  Personally I am looking for the link between a Daniel Maccalla in Brabant (mid 17th C) who used the Ardincaple arms.

Looking forward to your reply.

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline pablo1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 04 September 17 23:39 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I haven't come across a Maccalla in Brabant before.  Do you have any additional information on this Daniel?

Offline pablo1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 05 September 17 12:43 BST (UK) »

Offline keizerkarel

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 05 September 17 19:55 BST (UK) »
In Brabant (a south part of the Netherlands) there appears in the archives two persons with the surname Maccalla (written in lots of different ways) who were schoolmeester (schoolmaster) and koster (verger/sexton).

A Alexander Maccalla, who was schoolmaster first in Westerhoven, from 1663 in  Heeswijk & Dinther, from 1678 in Mierlo, where he died, probably shortly before 22-8-1689.

The other schoolmeester and koster was a Daniel Maccalla. The Classis of Peelland en Kempenland (Classis = a kind of Dutch Reformed Management Institution for the region Peelland and Kempenland) appointed him schoolmeester and koster in Bakel. Later he also was alderman in Bakel, president aldermen, secretary of Bakel, bailiff of Bakel, governor of Peelland. He died between 16-11-1678 and 16-10-1679 and was married to Aldegonde van Honswijck.
They at least had two children:
a)   Maria Maccalla (based on the fact that she possessed land in Bakel that originally was bought by Daniel Macalla – she is my ancestor); married Bakel 15 nov 1666 Cornelis van Zutphen, widower of Petronella Brouwers.  One of their children was named Alexander Willem van Zutphen.
b)   Daniel Maccalla (called “de Jonge” – junior), among other functions he also was bailif of Beek and Stiphout (1673, 1674, 1673, 1679). He died after 16-1-1714 and was married to Anna van Maenen, who died before 16-1-1714. Among their children they had a son called Daniël Alexander Maccalla, who continued the mail line of Maccalla.

I had no clue about the origin of this familie with the (here in the Netherlands) very strange name of Maccalla, untill I found the arms of Daniel Maccalla junior:
http://www.fotohistorisch.nl/zoek-resultaat/oai_mi/ft_{EC11F9B7-6E7D-418F-B21D-5441BD37B48D}
It leads us straight to the clan MacAulay of Ardincaple. They are the same arms as the arms recorded in the Lyon Office (1672) of George M’Aulay, servitor to William Thomsone, clerk in Edinburgh, son and heir of the above Patrick M’Aulay, surgeon in Cupar. The only difference is that the points of the arrows of Daniel Maccalla point the other way. Apart from that they are the same.

A Richard McAuley wrote on http://www.genealogy.com/forum/ (which forum unfortunately is not active anymore)
The "arrows in saltire" are principally noted in the arms noted in the Lyon Register as were recorded by the signet writer George MacAulay, a great-great-grandson of Allane MacAulay, merchant-burgess in Edinburgh, brother to Walter MacAulay of Ardencaple. Allane was formerly Clerk of Watch in Queen Mary's Archer's Guard and is likely the origin of the "arrows in saltire" device.

It is likely that the schoolmasters Daniel & Alexander Maccalla descend from the the same Allane MacAulay, Clerk of Watch in Queen Mary’s Archer’s Gueard.

I am very interested in the genealogy of the Ardincaple MacAulays (Maccalla’s).  Can you help?  Furthermore it seems that abovenamed Richard McAuley is also doing research into the Ardincaple MacAulays, but I cannot find his e-mailaddress.

Last but not least.  I have not yet done research on that subject, but there is still a chance that there still can be descendants in the male line of Daniel Maccalla.

Looking forward to your reply.

Greetings from the Netherlands,
Philip.

Offline pablo1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 06 September 17 09:04 BST (UK) »
The arrows in the oldest Macaulay Arms point downwards and not upwards.  If you could e-mail me at paulmacr@hotmail.com, I will try to contact Richard for you.

I found this yesterday on the Net.  Is there any connection:

Scot's Church, Rotterdam
Daniel Maccalla married August 29, 1736 to Margaret Hunter, widow of Charles MacClean.
Daniel was the son of Daniel, Sr. of Kilmarten.