Author Topic: Longmuir Kincardineshire  (Read 37633 times)

Offline Pittyman67

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Longmuir Kincardineshire
« on: Monday 28 July 08 21:18 BST (UK) »
I am descended from a John Longmuir and Ann Brand who were married on October 23rd 1790 in the Parish of Glenbervie. OPR for Fordoun (16th Oct 1790) states "John Longmuir in this Parish and Ann Brand in the Parish of Glenbervy (Glenbervie) were proclaimed in order to marriage and their names having been regularly proclaimed in the church they were married the 23rd thereafter at Glenbervy". Unfortunately I am having a problem trying to work out who the parents of John Longmuir were. Assuming that he was approximately 20 years of age, and assuming that his birth was recorded in the OPR I come up with John Longmuir born 8/5/1769 Benholm, John Longmoor 24/2/1770 Glenbervie or John Longmoor 21/5/1771 Fetteresso. Have found 2 John Longmuirs of the approximate age in the 1841 Census but both dead before start of death records in 1855. I would very much appreciate if anyone can give me any clues, advice  or point me in the right direction to finding John Longmuir's parents.

Regards

Andy Longmuir

Offline jutland3

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Longmuir Kincardineshire
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 08 August 09 10:36 BST (UK) »
Andy, I too, am descended from John Longmuir and Ann  Brand  (G5 grandparents). I noticed on Ann Brand's baptism that the witnesses were Andrew Wilson of Knockbrand Farm and James Burness tenant of Auchtochter (John Brand was the sub-tenant). The OPR records  show a  John Brand marrying Isobel Wilson on May 10 1757 at Arburthnott, and that an Isobel Wilson was born to Andrew Wilson on 30 January 1736 at Wattieston Farm. These farms are all next door to one another, so it seems that Andrew Wilson could be Ann Brand's  grandfather....and her mother was Isobel Wilson.
Andrew Wilson married Elspet Grive (It says Grive on the records, but might be Grieve) on July 1 1730 at Garvock.  The dates all seem to match up.

Haven't had any luck with John Longmuir, but will keep digging.   James Burness, the other witness, is   connected to Robert Burns family who came from Kincardine.

Margaret  Hunter

Offline Pittyman67

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 17 August 09 21:23 BST (UK) »
Margaret, many thanks for the reply. I’d almost forgotten that I had a post on Roots Chat.

You are quite correct that there is a connection in the farms on the border of Glenbervie and Fordoun. John Longmuir was a sub-tenant at Drumsleed which isn’t all that far from Auchtochter and Knockburn. I also think that John Longmuir’s parents were James Longmuir and Margaret Walker who lived at Jacksbank which is also nearby. Funnily enough, just before reading your post, I had a drive round the area for inspiration and I’m still going round in circles.

Have never looked closely at Ann Brand however did come up with two possibilities – one born in Fordoun 1757 and another born in Fordoun 1760. I don’t know why but I always suspected that the latter was the one and you’ve come up with the same answer. I think that Anne Brand may have been Episcopalian as I found the birth of her son David Longmuir in Episcopalian records in ANESFHS. Unfortunately no other records however, John Longmuir and Anne Brand were married on 23rd October 1790 and I am descended from their first son James (named after James Longmuir and Margaret Walker – tradition of naming first son after father???) who was born on 24th November 1790 i.e. in fornication. I might manage to get down to Edinburgh one of these days to have a look at the Kirk session records to find out if there is anything recorded.

Can’t work out where you are based from your username. I’m in Pitmedden in Aberdeenshire just in case you are nearby.

Regards

Andy

Offline jutland3

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 17 August 09 22:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Andy ... thanks for the info!  My line is Kirkpatrick Williamson Burness Longmuir, born at Drumsleed in October 1805 - he's my  G3 Grandfather, and brother to your James. Kirkpatrick's son, John,  moved from Kincardine to Rattray, Perthshire, via Dun, near Montrose and Tannadice. He died there in 1917.
I  now live in Murthly, Perthshire, and started this family tree for my sons a year or so ago and have become totally hooked.  We  drove up to Arbuthnott last weekend,  photographing all the farms  the family is associated with.
If I can help you with any  information, I would be pleased to do so, however, I suspect you are in the same boat as me -   we get back to the 1750's and then it's a bit vague.

Margaret

Offline Aussieprincess

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 18 August 09 14:58 BST (UK) »
G'day Margaret
I too am descendant from Ann Brand and John Longmuir through George Longmuir and my "cousin" Wendy in NZ  is also directly descendant from Kirkpatrick.  "Cousin" Andy sent me this link.  Cousin Wendy and I are meeting in Australia then we are travelling to Scotland in 3 weeks time, it would be interesting to meet up.  I can be contacted on (*)  George was my great great grandfather.  I am connected to his son David, then David's son Alfred then my Dad Norman Longmuir.  I am the youngest of 4 siblings.  I live in Melbourne Australia.
Would love to hear from you,
Gwen

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline jutland3

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 19 August 09 15:38 BST (UK) »
For Aussie Princess. I have to confess my Longmuir line is not as direct as yours.  Kirkpatrick is my G3 grandfather.  His son John Longmuir, born in 1833, married Bridget Welsh from Ireland. Their  first born was Georgina Milne Longmuir, followed by 7 more children. Georgina Longmuir worked at Anniston House near Inverkeilor as a  domestic servant, until the Groom, Thomas More, got hold of her and she had an illegitimate daughter, Mary Jane Longmuir, in Edinburgh in 1880.  That was my grandmother,  who married a James Howie in 1901. My  mother was born in 1912. Georgina Longmuir went on to marry John Byars,   baker, in Edzell and had a  family with him. I have  pix of where she lived and  her gravestone in Edzell chuchyard.

We have visited all the little churches  around Arbuthnott, Fordoun, etc and farms in Kincardine where the Longmuirs worked. Last weekend we visited Kineff where Kirkpatrick died.  There  are no traces of Longmuirs in any of the country  churchyards, but that's to be expected, they were  humble folks.  If we can be of any help on your trip here, just shout!

Margaret

Offline teenty

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 19 August 09 19:29 BST (UK) »

My husband is descended from John Longmuir and Bridget Welsh.I have an old photo which I think is John and Bridget on their croft outside Alyth . Perhaps you could PM me.

Jan Longmuir

Offline jutland3

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 19 August 09 20:43 BST (UK) »
Reply to Teenty :   Wow! A Picture of John Longmuir and Bridget Welsh - that would be fantastic....I know that John Longmuir (My G Grandfather) died in Rattray, Perthshire,  in 1917 and that Bridget, his wife, died in Brechin in  March 1936, I hope to trawl round Brechin Cemetery in the next few weeks and see if I can locate her  grave.  John and Bridget lived at Pictfield Feus , Rattray  according to the 1901 Census.   My Mother, Marjory Howie,  (Mother Mary Jane Longmuir - married to  James Howie, died in WW1, buried at Gaza, Palestine) had a vague memory of both.  I would be happy to  give you  any information/ family pictures  I can about the family.. I am still new to Rootschat, but am amazed, already, about the info I have gathered.

Margaret

Offline Aussieprincess

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 20 August 09 12:35 BST (UK) »
G'day again Margaret
You mentioned you have a Georgina Longmuir marrying a John Byars.  A strange coincidence is that the George Longmuir I mentioned (my gg grandfather) was married to a Margaret McKay.  Her parents were David McKay and Elizabeth Byars.  George Longmuir was born in 1801 in Fordoun and died 1882 in Brechin.  Their son David was born in 1824 at Fearn.  David and his brother - another George, emigrated to Australia.  David came to Melbourne and George ended up in Perth in Western Australia. 
There was a brother John who remained in Scotland and was informant on his father's death certificate.  It is with many thanks to Andy I have recently found the details about Margaret McKay.  She was our "brick wall" for many years.  I haven't had time to reseach any further on her ancestry yet.  I have been registered with Rootschat.com for a few months but haven't actually used it before.
Gwen