Author Topic: Longmuir Kincardineshire  (Read 37634 times)

Offline chezem

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Longmuir Kincardineshire
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 07 February 10 04:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone,

I think the right John Longmuir christened in Glenbervie 24 Sep 1770 is the correct one. I can account for 1771 one elswhere. He married Christian Patterson and is definitely not the one married to Ann Brand.  The Benholme one seems to have died before the children have all been born so it can't be him. I think that the parents of John Longmuir who married Ann Brand are James Longmuir and Rachel Rankin.

Cheryl
Caird - Fetteresso
Collie - Fetteresso
Moore - Tanfield, Durham, England
Davidson - Banchory Ternan, Fetteresso, Aberdeen
Sinclair - Aberdeen, Scotland
Dawson - Bolton, Lancashire, England
Freeman - England
Garrity - County Mayo, Ireland
Ronan - Wexford, Ireland
Hurley - Limerick
Naughton - Loughill, Limerick, Ireland
Collins - Six Mile Bridge, Cappanalaught, Clare, Ireland
Minter - Palgraves, Suffolk, England
Pakes - Filgrave, Buckinghamshire, England
Simpson - Potsoy, Banffshire, Scotland

Offline Pittyman67

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 08 February 10 15:30 GMT (UK) »
Cheryl

Good to hear from you and even better to know that you have got as far as I have in identifying John Longmuir.

I have also managed to work out that John Longmuir who was married to Christian Patterson was the son of John Longmuir and Elizabeth Collie and was the father of the Revd John Longmuir who was prominent in the disruption of the Church of Scotland.

Regarding John Longmuir being born in Glenbervie he is the son of James Longmuir and Margaret Walker:

Kinneff and Catterline OPR (March 9th 1755) - James Longmuir in the Parish of Glenbervie and Margaret Walker in this Parish gave in their names in order to marriage and were married after due proclaimations.

Glenbervie OPR: (24th February 1770) - James Longmuir in Jacksbank had a son baptized John. Witnesses Andrew and James Walker both in Jacksbank. (Mother was Margaret Walker).

Would be interested about the John Longmuir from Benholm who you think died before all the children had been born as I would like to rule him out as a possibility. I know he is the son of Andrew Longmuir and Jean Skae but know nothing else. Any info appreciated however I don't think he is the son of James Longmuir and Rachel Rankin as they had 3 children, Elspet, David and Rachel. Elspet must have died very young.

1808 R.L. Erected by James Longmuir Taylor in Johnshaven in memory of his wife Rachel Rankine d. 20 Nov 1798 aged 63; they had issue as follows viz. David and Rachel. James Longmuir d. 27 Jan 1819 aged 77 (back) of David Longmuir & Margaret Watt’s family Helen d. 19 Jan 1813 in infancy; David d. Annoua Bay Jamaica 17 Sept 1825 aged 22; Helen d. Aberdeen 23 Nov 1834 aged 19 & is here interred; James d. St Thomas in the East, Jamaica 30 Sept 1836 aged 31; David Longmuir Inspector of Police, Aberdeen d. Aberdeen 16 Nov 1838 aged 60.

Interestingly, James Longmuir who maried Rachel Rankine is the brother of John Longmuir who married Elizabeth Collie and the brother of Andrew Longmuir who married Jean Skae.

Regards

Andy

Offline chezem

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 08 February 10 17:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi Andy,

Nice to hear from you. I still think that Rachel Rankin is the mother and I'll give you my reasoning. There is firstly a fifteen year gap between the marriage of Margaret and James and their first child. Not impossible but unusual. The Walker's would have likely been witnesses anyway. They were heavily married into the Collie family. My 4x grandmother Isabella Collie married her second husband who was William Walker. He was the son of the James Walker who I believe was the witness that you referred to. William Walker had previously been married to Elspet Collie. Isabella is the sister of Elizabeth Collie who married John Longmuir. I think that Margaret Walker was the first wife of James Longmuir.  The first part of the MI in Benholme for the inscription you've given after Rachel's details says 'Jas Longmuir d. 27.1.1849. This is on the stone of Rachel Rankin.  I've got some info somewhere on the Benholme one. I'll have a look and locate it for you. Must have a look and see if I can find James on the census.

Anyway these are just my thoughts.

Cheryl

Caird - Fetteresso
Collie - Fetteresso
Freeman - England
Ronan - Wexford, Ireland
Hurley - Limerick

Offline Pittyman67

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 08 February 10 17:53 GMT (UK) »
Cheryl

Have had a look at my records and John Longmuir born to James Longmuir and Margaret Walker wasn't the first: Mary, Elizabeth. Margaret, Jean, James, Isobel, John, William and lastly George (1758 - 1774). Witnesses were generally Andrew Walker (snr), Andrew Walker (Jnr), James Walker and William Walker.

Also found this website which may be of some interest to you:

http://www.myheritage.com/site-family-tree-18009081/longmuir?treeMode=immersive

Looks like I'll have to take a trip down to the National Archives in Edinburgh to see if I can unearth any info.

Regards

Andy

Offline chezem

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 09 February 10 14:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi Andy,

Thanks for the link. Not come across it before. Looks like the site owner is working on the premiss that the date of death has been transcribed wrong for the James Longmuir buried with Rachel Rankin. They may well be right. Hard to say without seeing the grave or some other record. You would normally be able to rely on the grave.   Hope you have some luck at the National Archives.

Cheryl
Caird - Fetteresso
Collie - Fetteresso
Freeman - England
Ronan - Wexford, Ireland
Hurley - Limerick

Offline WASL

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 11 February 10 23:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi Pittyman67,
I have recently joined the RootsChat site and was most interested to find a thread on the Longmuirs.  I too am a Longmuir in Melbourne Australia.  I believe that I am a descendant of John Longmuir and Ann Brand (5G).  My branch of the tree as I see it is:
John and Ann ‘s children were James, John, Alexander, David, William and George.
George married Margaret McKay and immigrated to Australia.  Their children were David, Helen, Isabella and Grace.
David married Sarah Jane Kately and their children were George Henry, David and William Owen (there are possibly others).
William Owen married Jessie Matilda McDonald and their children were William Robert Gordon, John Kately and Dudley Owen.
John Kately married Elizabeth Mary Kurrle (second marriage) and their children were William Arthur Stuart (this is me) and Elizabeth Margaret.
I married Wilhelmina Elizabeth Green and we have one son, David Francis Stuart.  He married Amelia Teng and their children are Lila Grace Longmuir TENG and Roy William Teng LONGMUIR.
I’ll watch this thread closely to see if I can glean more info from it.
I have lots of birth, marriage and death dates for many of the above and would be please to pass it on to anyone who wants it.

Regards
WASL

Offline Aussieprincess

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 12 February 10 07:43 GMT (UK) »
G'day
I am from Melbourne and related to you.  Alfred William LONGMUIR was my grandfather and he is a brother to William Owen.  Pittyman67 (Hi Andy!!) is also related to you.  I have extensive info on David and Sarah's lineage.  David and Sarah are both buried in the Coburg cemetery along with 4 of their children.  George who married Margaret MacKay was David's father and he did NOT come to Australia.  Our family is full of Davids, Georges, Jessies, Margarets and so on.  David and Sarah had a son George.   George and Margaret had a son George (David's brother) who ended up in WA.  Thanks to cousn Andy, we have now got Margaret (MacKay) LONGMUIR's death certifcate.  I would like to contact you off line but the last time I advertised my email address, I got a slap over the knuckles from the RootsChat administration.  Maybe someone could give me details of what is required to contact off line??  My maiden name was LONGMUIR and I was born in Coburg.
Cheers
Aussieprincess also known as Gwen

Offline ozblues

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 16 February 10 12:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi WASL,

Sorry to correct you but George Longmuir and Margaret McKay did not emigrate to Australia.They both died in Brechin in Scotland. They had six children,three sons John,David and George,and three daughters Helen,Isabella and Grace. Grace died at Brechin aged 17. David and his nephew William son of George emigrated not George.It's  a bit confusing with repetitive names.
David's sons George and David went to Western Australia but George died in Melbourne.

George Longmuir and Margaret McKay were my great great Grandparents.

Kind regards

ozblues

Offline WASL

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 16 February 10 23:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi ozblues,

Thanks for the correction - most welcome.  I always glean a few more facts from each post.  George  and Margaret are also my great great grandparents.
I live in Melbourne Australia and am amassing quite a bit of info on the Australian side of the family (although far from complete).  I am happy to share this with you if you wish.  I have had a lot of help from "Aussieprincess".

From your username I suspect you might also be in Australia.

regards

WASL