Author Topic: Longmuir Kincardineshire  (Read 37635 times)

Offline WASL

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Longmuir Kincardineshire
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 18 February 10 23:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jutland3,

I noticed that in one of your posts that the name "Milne" occurs in connection with the Longmuir surname.  You may be interested that the name Colin Milne Longmuir occurs in a book (non-fictional) written by Michael Cannon entitled "The Land Boomers" (INSB 0 17005105 6).  It is a story about the land boom and finacial crises that occured in Melbourne, Australia in the late 1880s.  The book describes Longmuir as the son of the Rev. John Longmuir of Aberdeen.  Longmuir was involved in a finacial scandal involving well over a million pounds (a lot of money in those days).  He was called to his bank's headqurters in London but, just before reaching Colombo, he died and was burried at sea.  There remains some mystery over the circumstances of his death.

Regards

WASL

Offline WASL

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 19 February 10 05:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi Pittyman67,

I have been in email contact with "Aussieprincess" and "ozblues" and understand they have met you in Scotland.  Would you have any objection to my contacting you by email?  We are both descendants of John Longmuir and Ann Brand.

There seems a possibility that John's parents were James Longmuir and Margaret Walker.  I have come across a James Longmuir born 11 August 1728 in Dundee Angus Scotland (FamilySearch.org).  This James' parents were William Longmuir and Elizabeth Lindsay.  The dates seem to fit.  I was wondering if you (or any other Member) have any information to verify or exclude this possibility?

Best regards

WASL

Offline Elllicam

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 08 May 10 17:41 BST (UK) »
Hi there I am descended from James Longmuir (1792-1873) and Margaret Pithie who lived in Banchory Devenick at one point as some of their children were born there. They had 11 children born between 1821 - 1844,  Margaret, Mary, William, Jean, James, Robert, Joseph, Ann, Charles, David and Isabel. James's parents were Alexander Longmuir and Mary Paul. I've got a bit stuck looking any further back if anyone can help?
Lindsxx

Offline Pittyman67

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 10 May 10 18:18 BST (UK) »
Wish my line of Longmuirs was so easy to dig up some info on. I've been to the National Archives and didn't unearth anything. At one time I thought that James Longmuir who was married to Margaret Pithie may have been the son of John Longmuir and Ann Brand. Unfortunately this turned out not to be the case however I did keep a note of what I found:

Erected by James Longmuir and Margaret Pithie in memory of their family: Mary d. 28 Apr 1842 aged 19, James d. 26 Oct 1853 aged 24, Robert d. 17 Mar 1854 aged 16, David d. 5 July 1860 aged 29. Above James Longmuir late Blacksmith at Hillside d. 19 Nov 1873 aged 83; Margaret Pithie his wife d. 9 Mar 1875 aged 76. Ann Longmuir d. 14 Aug 1900 aged 73; Charles Longmuir d. 27 Oct 1907 aged 63. 9 Lines verse on back.

You should be able to get a copy of James Longmuirs Death Cert on Scotlands People. Notes his parents as being Alexander Longmuir and Mary Paul. Sorry haven't managed to come up with any more info.

Offline Elllicam

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Saturday 15 May 10 20:25 BST (UK) »
Hey Pittyman thats brilliant, thankyou so much.
Lindsxx

Offline Coach Ro

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 11 August 10 05:39 BST (UK) »
I recently started helping my grandmother Christina Mackie Longmuir whose father was Walter Stavert Longmuir and married her mother Robina Dick in Vancouver British Columbia, Canada on August 11, 1922.  She has some information that was researched by Scottish Roots and some the names that were found related to her were James Longmuir and Margaret Pithie their son Alexander married Euphemio Gove.  Is this any relation? 

Offline rattrayperth

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Sunday 10 October 10 16:29 BST (UK) »
For Aussie Princess. I have to confess my Longmuir line is not as direct as yours.  Kirkpatrick is my G3 grandfather.  His son John Longmuir, born in 1833, married Bridget Welsh from Ireland. Their  first born was Georgina Milne Longmuir, followed by 7 more children. Georgina Longmuir worked at Anniston House near Inverkeilor as a  domestic servant, until the Groom, Thomas More, got hold of her and she had an illegitimate daughter, Mary Jane Longmuir, in Edinburgh in 1880.  That was my grandmother,  who married a James Howie in 1901. My  mother was born in 1912. Georgina Longmuir went on to marry John Byars,   baker, in Edzell and had a  family with him. I have  pix of where she lived and  her gravestone in Edzell chuchyard.

We have visited all the little churches  around Arbuthnott, Fordoun, etc and farms in Kincardine where the Longmuirs worked. Last weekend we visited Kineff where Kirkpatrick died.  There  are no traces of Longmuirs in any of the country  churchyards, but that's to be expected, they were  humble folks.  If we can be of any help on your trip here, just shout!

Margaret

Offline Glen Bervie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Saturday 16 October 10 07:32 BST (UK) »
Hi there
I picked up this thread on a google search on Brand's in Kincardine. I am principally chasing up the Walker references, but to try and find the links between the branches back then I am trying to look at the associated families.
My Walkers were at Buckies Mill but I am sure that I must be related to the Walkers in New Mill and at Jacksbank (so I'm particularly interested in the Margaret Walker connection).
My Anne Brand was married to Alexander Walker and she died 23/10/1740.  Alexanders son (also Alexander) also married a Brand, hence my need to piece together the Brand family.
My understanding of the OPR at this time (which may be flawed!) is that where the register says that a wedding or a christening was "witnessed",  it almost certainly confirms that they were episcopalians not attending the official church of Scotland. Weddings and christenings in the official church were recorded as "in the face of the congregation".

Graeme

Offline Mike48162

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Saturday 05 May 12 15:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Andy ... thanks for the info!  My line is Kirkpatrick Williamson Burness Longmuir, born at Drumsleed in October 1805 - he's my  G3 Grandfather, and brother to your James. Kirkpatrick's son, John,  moved from Kincardine to Rattray, Perthshire, via Dun, near Montrose and Tannadice. He died there in 1917.
I  now live in Murthly, Perthshire, and started this family tree for my sons a year or so ago and have become totally hooked.  We  drove up to Arbuthnott last weekend,  photographing all the farms  the family is associated with.
If I can help you with any  information, I would be pleased to do so, however, I suspect you are in the same boat as me -   we get back to the 1750's and then it's a bit vague.

Margaret

Hi Margaret
I'm a relative in the USA (via Canada) who is related to John (abt 1770)/Ann Brand;  James Longmuir (1880) was my GGG grandfather who came to Ontario, Canada from K and C about 1845.   I am venturing over to Scotland soon, and am trying to find info to help guide my hunt for those Longmuir footsteps!  Saw in another post you took pictures, and I am still trying to decide what's important to see.  An email I can be reached at is Mike48162 (at) gmail.com   Thanks.  Hope to hear back.  Mike M, Ann Arbor, Michigan USA   PS. Also sent AndyL/Pittyman67 an email!