Author Topic: Unusual First Names  (Read 125780 times)

Offline CarolA3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My adopted home
    • View Profile
Re: Unusual First Names
« Reply #261 on: Tuesday 03 April 18 05:58 BST (UK) »
Are the people you've listed still living?  Posts on this board can be viewed by anyone and will come up on internet searches.

Carol
OXFORDSHIRE / BERKSHIRE
Bullock, Cooper, Boler/Bowler, Wright, Robinson, Lee, Prior, Trinder, Newman, Walklin, Louch

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Runaway Bride! Thanks to Paula Too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: Tuesday 03 April 18 08:42 BST (UK) »
😱😱 Yes, didn't think it through, but I've now removed the names etc from my orginal post on the previous page! Thanks for the reminder!
"We analyse the evidence to draw a conclusion. The better the sources and information, the stronger the evidence, which leads to a reliable conclusion!" Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

MATHEWS, Ireland, England, USA & Canada, NZ
FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
DOUGLAS, Scotland, Ireland, NZ
WALKER,   Scotland
WATSON,  England, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
McAUGHTRIE, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
MASON,     Scotland, England, NZ
& Connections

Offline marcie dean

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: Monday 09 April 18 17:18 BST (UK) »
isnt delyth a welsh name Gaelic the otthers are very old fashioned names i thought long since defunct
what were the years noted against their names , if any.
Scotlandorkney flett bell, strickland laird traillcalqahoun.
Lanark/Argyll/Renfrew/Ayr:Smith, Steele,Kirkwood,Hamilton,May,orO'mayscott and anderso, craig , forbes taggart Kirkwood, milloy and steel apart ftom others which are numerous, graham mcilroy. stewart.brown battonisle of sku rothsay etc.
 searl rogers sutherland
Edinburgh/Aberdeen:portsea marsh,brownwhittcomb and others. to numerous to mentionweymouth frank.  Laidlaw,Brown,Dean//Charles/Hall/Slight/Johnston belgium loquet

Offline tillypeg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: Friday 13 April 18 15:34 BST (UK) »
Two Williamson sisters - Vyotte Gwynline Sara (1904-1912) and Margaret Victoria Waihoura.  Looking on Google, the only reference to Waihoura seems to be a book by William Henry Giles Kingston about a Maori girl, 1873. 

I have only recently started looking at this line of my tree again and was astonished last night to find that Margaret Victoria Waihoura Williamson's name came up in the Google search - she was murdered in 1964 and no-one was ever prosecuted for the crime.  There was an appeal in 2014 on the 50th anniversary of the murder which featured in the Huddersfield Examiner.  Apparently she was known as Vicky.  The article makes for very sad reading, two boys found her body on Christmas Day.

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: Saturday 14 April 18 10:00 BST (UK) »
Two Williamson sisters - Vyotte Gwynline Sara (1904-1912) and Margaret Victoria Waihoura.  Looking on Google, the only reference to Waihoura seems to be a book by William Henry Giles Kingston about a Maori girl, 1873. 

I have only recently started looking at this line of my tree again and was astonished last night to find that Margaret Victoria Waihoura Williamson's name came up in the Google search - she was murdered in 1964 and no-one was ever prosecuted for the crime.  There was an appeal in 2014 on the 50th anniversary of the murder which featured in the Huddersfield Examiner.  Apparently she was known as Vicky.  The article makes for very sad reading, two boys found her body on Christmas Day.

Oh that is so sad.  Good chance that the murderer is no longer with us and will never be caught.
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others

Offline marcie dean

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: Tuesday 05 June 18 23:43 BST (UK) »
my nephew named his son wyatt.? poor soul. he woulf=d be about 3- maybe 4 now must be starting school soon. he has the blackest curly of hair and crystal blue eyes that are between Chinese and Japanese thick lashes that turn upward and eyes that are shaped like an almond as his mother is one or the other her name is sky.
Scotlandorkney flett bell, strickland laird traillcalqahoun.
Lanark/Argyll/Renfrew/Ayr:Smith, Steele,Kirkwood,Hamilton,May,orO'mayscott and anderso, craig , forbes taggart Kirkwood, milloy and steel apart ftom others which are numerous, graham mcilroy. stewart.brown battonisle of sku rothsay etc.
 searl rogers sutherland
Edinburgh/Aberdeen:portsea marsh,brownwhittcomb and others. to numerous to mentionweymouth frank.  Laidlaw,Brown,Dean//Charles/Hall/Slight/Johnston belgium loquet

Offline Lisajb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: Thursday 07 June 18 13:29 BST (UK) »
One I've just come across is Weeks Pincot.

He married Mary Stinchcombe in Hawkesbury, Gloucestershire in 1751. Ancestry have the register images which I have peered at, and it does look like Weeks, but....

An online tree has him b 1728, d 1812, but this also has Mary marrying someone else in 1759.
Mullingar, Westmeath Ireland: Gilligan/Wall/Meagher/Maher/Gray/O'Hara/Corroon (various spellings)
Bristol: Woodman/James/Derrick
Bristol/Somerset: Saunders/Wilmot
Gloucestershire:Woodman/Mathews/Tandy/Stinchcombe/Marten/Thompson
Wiltshire: Mathews
Carmarthen: Thomas, Lewis
Australia: Mary Lewis, transportee, married Henry Brown - what happened to her?

Offline jim234j

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: Sunday 10 June 18 01:14 BST (UK) »
On my wife's tree one of her ancestors had 14 children.
The twelfth was a girl and she was named Twelvetta

Offline BonnieDownUnder

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: Sunday 10 June 18 04:27 BST (UK) »
Researching an WW1 Honour Roll there is listed a Hibiscus Musa Textilus Stephen - nicknamed
Hibie - born in Queensland, Australia, 1891.
His sister, born the next year, was named Passiflora Quadrangularis!!
Bonnie