Author Topic: Crowthers, Leeds, Stainburn sq, Publican  (Read 58180 times)

Offline benny9

• RootsChat Extra
  • Crowthers engine
    • View Profile
Crowthers, Leeds, Stainburn sq, Publican
« on: Wednesday 30 July 08 20:59 BST (UK) »
My ggg'dad Was a George Crowther From Leeds and in 1885 I have him in Stainburn sq working as Publican he later became a showman /traveler but I would like to know a bit about the area in Leeds. The area is St Peters sq, Lemon st, High st. This area is now mainly under Quarry hill flats but I would like to see if I can build up a picture of the area in his day. Cheers BEN
Johnson, Crowther, Sykes showman and travellers 1800's onward of Leeds and surrounding area. Also Bunting, Bosomworth and Palliser

Offline telnorm

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Crowthers, Leeds, Stainburn sq, Publican
« Reply #1 on: Friday 05 September 08 16:04 BST (UK) »
Hi, george crowther at the old house at home in stainburn sq is my gg grandad being the father of my g grandad william. I have george on 1891 census in east st leeds as an hotel keeper with his daughter caroline.you prob know this. I would be interested in which of georges offspring you are from. regards Terry crowther

Offline benny9

• RootsChat Extra
  • Crowthers engine
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 11 September 08 16:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Terry Nice to hear from you! My g,grandma was Sarah Ann Crowther her father was Robert bn 1862 to George Crowther and Sarah Ann Turner. It would seem I am also related to Sarah Elizabeth Crowther, Roberts big sis, as it would appear that my g,grandma Sarah Ann and my g,granddad Herbert were cousins! I have not found George in 1891 I must have missed him. He must be 64-65 by then. I am researching my family Johnsons and Crowthers both Families traveled with the fairs at one time or another. I know George did and his son Benjamin and Sarah Elizabeth and Robert. It would be nice find out more would like to hear if you have found out any more on the Crowthers. I will wait to here from you BEN
Johnson, Crowther, Sykes showman and travellers 1800's onward of Leeds and surrounding area. Also Bunting, Bosomworth and Palliser

Offline telnorm

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 12 September 08 14:40 BST (UK) »
Hi! Ben, am listing below my crowther info as I see it. its mostly from census info and although george crowther seems to be unsure of his age sometimes the family names and ages seem to fit.

1861   10 mabgate fold leeds
george crowther 34 coal dealer ( gives birth place as halifax)
sarah ann 31
benjamin 10
hannah 6
sarah e 8
caroline 4
william 1 ( my g grandfather)
henry hodgson ( servant)

1871  6 mabgate fold leeds
george 44 ( traveller)
sarah ann 41
caroline 14
benjamin 20
hannah 16
harriet 2
robert 10
sarah 18
william 12

1881 6 stainburn st or sq? ( old house at home)
george 51 publican
sarah ann 51
william 20 ( brewer)
robert 17
carry ( caroline) 23
benjamin potts ( nephew)

1891 57 east st leeds
george 61 hotel keeper ( widower)
caroline 34

1891 bridge st kirkstall leeds
william crowther 30 general dealer ( my grt grand father)
margaret28
john 6
william 4 ( my grand father)
euphemia 4 mnths
annie gallagher 12 ( neice) ( died 1903 and buried in same grave as george and sarah ann)

george and sarah ann buried in grave no 5894 at becketts st leeds
inscription reads, in loving memory sarah ann wife of  george crowther who died june 25th 1884 age 53 years also george crowther who died may 30th 1894 age 61 years.

I hope that this info is of interest to you.
ps. I see that you name sarah ann as turner, this I did not know so thank you.

regard Terry

Offline benny9

• RootsChat Extra
  • Crowthers engine
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 12 September 08 18:27 BST (UK) »
Cheers for the info on george and Sarahs, grave thats good to know. Is it still there or is it just a record of the grave stone? I checked today and Caroline Crowther was still running the boarding hse in 1901 she was 44 and still single. I wonder how long she ran it for and if the property went to another family member? I know Sarah Ann was turner because a relative of mine or I should say ours gave me a copy of Roberts birth cert. 1862 Mabgate fold.

I have also found George 24 and Sarah 20 and Benjamin in New church place just the next street to mabgate fold in 1851 he is listed as dyer and dyers wife there were plenty of wool and flax mills around. I have tried 1841 but if he is with his family I don't know thier names so I cannot be sure I might have to order Georges marriage cert and see if that spread any more light on it.

I thank you again for the info and I'll hear from you again or visa versa cheers BEN

Offline telnorm

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 13 September 08 12:19 BST (UK) »
hello ben,
re inscription for george and sarah, I got it from a disk " leeds & district burials" that I have which lists various burial grounds & some inscriptions. I am assuming that the grave must still be there for them to have obtained this info.I dont know if you have ever visited becketts st but 7 yrs ago when I visited the old part was so badly overgrown that we gave up looking.
thanks for confirming sarah ann,s maiden name. I had been going off on the wrong track on this.
very interesting to see that you have located george & sarah on 1851 census, I will now add that to my tree.
I did have caroline on the 1901 census and am also interested in who got the property when she died in 1913 aged 55 yrs, although east st was a pretty poor area and has always seemed to be. I actually went to school 5 mins walk from east st and weaver sq which was just around the corner and is where my my grandad  and grt grandad ( both william) were living in 1901.
I dont know if it is of interest to you but I have a copy of my grt grandads marriage cert dated 13th dec 1887 showing him residing in stainburn sq and listed as a brewer. george ( his dad) is also listed as a brewer.
hope that you do manage to get further info on george,
                                                                                                                   regards  Terry

Offline benny9

• RootsChat Extra
  • Crowthers engine
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 13 September 08 20:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Terry, My great grandad and great grandma were married 1908 she was Sarah Ann daughter of robert and her address is given as 16 Weaver sq so none of the family moved very far. His was marsh lne. It is interesting that my relation on my gandmas side that has researched the Sykes travellers and showman has also found one of her side residing at mabgate fold. it was maybe a regular wintering spot for travellers where they could park and repaint the wagons and take up other work over winter. I am interested in Benjamin Crowther the eldest as he has my name. I have also just named my son Ben, my dad and granddad are Bens, and I think Ben Crowther is where the name came from it is a bit long to explane but in 1881 he is travelling with the fairs with a wife called zuba or Azubah after that i cannot find him and I think Zuba died but I cannot find where or when. You could'nt shed some light on this could you?

Offline telnorm

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 14 September 08 15:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Ben,
 I think you may well be correct re mabgate fold area being a possible wintering spot for the wagons and stuff, it sounds good to me.
re zuba, I came across this name when I was deeply into my research about two years ago and thought what a fantastic name to have in your tree. I could not connect her at that time.
anyway I have been looking on the free bdm website and found her. her name is shown as Azuba Crowther, died sep 1919 age 62 registered at Hunslet. I also found her entry on my burials disk as interned at harehills cemetery grave no 5454 born 1857 age 62yrs. I have found a number of deaths for benjamin crowthers ( I am sure you have to) but no way of knowing which is the one.
trusting that the azuba info proves useful.   regards Terry

Offline benny9

• RootsChat Extra
  • Crowthers engine
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 15 September 08 16:58 BST (UK) »
Hi again, I found an marriage of Azubah Johnson and Benjamin Crowther on the same register for sept leeds 1871. They turn up in the 1881 census at linsley fold in leeds both 29 him a showman with a gg aunt of mine Mary Johnson 7. I could only find two Azubahs in linclonshire in the 1871 census. I have not been able to find azubah in the later censuses don't know what happened to Ben Crowther. I also have a Zuba Johnson Ben's niece probably named after his wife. My dad remembers her and visiting her in york. I think I'll order George and Sarah Anns Marrisge Cert and try and go back further. Speak to you soon Ben