Author Topic: Crowthers, Leeds, Stainburn sq, Publican  (Read 58178 times)

Offline PaulSlo

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Crowthers, Leeds, Stainburn sq, Publican
« Reply #126 on: Saturday 09 February 13 01:15 GMT (UK) »
I couldn't upload the stuff, so I'll have to enter the regimental record by hand, next time.
             Paul

Offline PaulSlo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: Sunday 10 February 13 00:32 GMT (UK) »
Oops. Sorry, Hector married Helen in 1830 (as I said in a previous post) not 1833.
     I think that James Reid - Euphemia's dad was married to someone called Beveridge. Maybe Gary can confirm that.
     I'll do the regimental thing next time.
     Paul.

Offline GLM66

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: Tuesday 12 February 13 20:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi Paul,

I think on one of the Certificates it does state that James Reid was married to a  Beveridge, this may be  the same Beveridge that was born at Dysart, but I didn't go too much into that Family.

Hector was not injured at Toulouse, he seems to have got the injury while his unit was stationed at Kilkenny in Ireland, so I have only three options 1) injured in some brawl with another soldier, 2) injured in a training accident, or 3) injured in some encounter with hostile locals ? this injury prevented him from deploying with his unit to the Battle of Waterloo : (

Hope this helps,
Regards  Gary.

Offline GLM66

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: Wednesday 05 June 13 02:13 BST (UK) »
I have just noticed that in the book "To Prove I'm Not Forgot" by Sylvia Barnard ( a book about Beckett street Cemetery) there is a reference on page 94 to the incident with George Crowthers Swing Boat, the child who died is mentioned and a brief description of the events, however George is not mentioned by name. Strange I have read this book many times and have just noticed that a part of our family history is contained within its covers!

Regards to all, Gary.

Offline Murrell

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: Thursday 29 August 13 19:39 BST (UK) »
Fantastic postings, who needs to read a book- its taken me a while to read all of them.
I dont have any connection mores the pity. Well Done  ;D
Power Ward Rooney  Southern Ireland

Offline Chrissie4

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: Friday 14 February 14 16:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi all
I am helping a friend with his Crowther tree and have a poser that I wondered whether anyone would have any suggestions about. His family have several family photo's which have been handed down of fairgrounds and one has Crowthers written above a large fairground attraction. Amongst other things on the stand it has a large wooden elephant with a sign below saying 'Basham and Kelly'. I can find no connection in my friends tree so far though

When I googled  'Crowthers and fairgrounds' and saw this thread I got quite excited until I discovered the Crowther fairground references all seemed to be people from Leeds. We are awaiting certs at the moment but I'm pretty sure that this family originated in Barnsley and Huddersfield and I can't find any connection to the Leeds ones. Also, the closest I have got to a fairground connection so far is mechanics and a traction engine driver. Without reading the whole thread, non of the names and dates of people mentioned on here seem to tie up either. So is it a coincidence and there were actually two Yorkshire Crowther families who were fairground people!!

Offline GLM66

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: Friday 16 June 17 22:28 BST (UK) »
!

Offline Jack Thwaites

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: Wednesday 03 January 18 17:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,

I am the new owner of Wait and See, the Showmans road locomotive. I have been trying to find out any history regarding the original owners Crowther and Johnson.

Hope someone can help with my enquiries my contact number is 07597037209.

Many thanks

Jack

Offline HaydockandPalliser

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: Thursday 18 January 18 14:23 GMT (UK) »
Benny9

I saw at the bottom of your reply about the Crowther shooting gallery "Johnson, Crowther, Sykes showman and travellers 1800's onward of Leeds and surrounding area. Also Bunting, Bosomworth and Palliser".

Can I ask what you mean by that? My ancestor, William Palliser, was apparently working a shooting gallery at a fairground in Leeds in 1871 and I'm wondering now if he was working with the Crowthers....

Thank you for any help you can give

S

Hi wood_gnome
   Could well be related, my greatgreatgrandad was a Robert Crowther bn 1862 to George and Sarah Ann Crowther, mar Ann Eliza Stewart in 1885 in Leeds. This Robert is down on his daughters (another Sarah Ann my greatgran) marriage cert as showman. I don't know about his other children I have not gone that way yet. My dad who grew up on the fairs for a few years at the start of his life says that he remembers visiting a Bob Crowther but he can't remember if he was any relation. My Crowthers were all from central Leeds from Mabgate, Stainburn sq, High st, Weaver sq, East st. I have not found them anywhere else yet apart from on showgrounds but then not too far from Leeds. It would be good to hear if you have any other info on your Crowthers and see if there is a connection. Hope this info helps you cheers BEN