Author Topic: Crowthers, Leeds, Stainburn sq, Publican  (Read 58181 times)

Offline telnorm

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Crowthers, Leeds, Stainburn sq, Publican
« Reply #18 on: Monday 20 July 09 16:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Paul, thank for the family information and chromosome profile which is fascinating. Your cousin must have spent quite some time researching and has certainly done a fine job. I am assuming that your grandfather was Henry ( harry on 1911 census) the youngest of william and magarets children.
You refer to Euphemia being the oldest of william and magarets children born 1890 but according to my info, William was born in 1887 the same year as willie and magarets marriage. Also according to the 1891 and 1901 censuses there was a John born in 1885 ( could he be Hannah enochs child I wonder). Just out of interest I did find Hannah Enoch age 8 on the 1871 census living at 17 stainburn sq. My grandad William married Mary Ann Ohara in 1909 and my father , again William was born in 1912. My father died in feb 1944 and is buried in the war graves cemetery at khayat beach Israel and my mother remarried after the war. As a result I know very little about my Crowther family other than my uncle Frank who I remember and his son my cousin Frank ( who used to be a landlord in the Leeds area) and recent information from Ben re the close Crowther/Johnson connections and the fairground interest. Ben and myself went to huddersfield library last year and we thing that we have the info to go back further than Benjamin 1790, but we are still working on this. Thanks again for the chromosome profile it really is interesting and I hope that your reindeers are well fed and settled for the night.  many regards Terry

Offline PaulSlo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 24 July 09 23:55 BST (UK) »
Dear Terry,
                  Thanks for your posting. I should point out that all the dates and documents were researched by Gary Murphy in the mid 1990's. Unfortunately, I have lost contact with him. All the family anecdotes, interpretation of data, and descriptions of locales are my work (as is the stuff about the N1c1 chromosome - which is, ocf course -  a genetic marker that you and any male offspring  share as well).
                  Gary was always puzzled about not being able to find documentation about some of Willie and Maggie's children. I think that we both thought Euphemia was the oldest, but your points do refute that. Gary couldn't find entries for Willie and Maggie in the 1891 census and imagined that they might be travelling. Hannah died within a year of her marriage from  'acute psithis' whatever that is. If they had a child it must have been fast, or out of wedlock.
                  I live in Slovenia, and find it hard to get access - even online - to census data, but I'd be interested to know if there are details of Willie and Maggie's household for 1891.
                 Henry or 'Harry' Crowther was born in 1902 and worked as a baker in his younger years and then as a labourer in a sawmill after the second world war. He lived at 9, Brander Mount on the Gipton estate in Leeds from 1937. There were 4 children - 3 girls and my dad - also a Henry/ Harry (born 1927). Henry senior joined up in 1939. After an incident where he punched an officer or NCO who'd been bullying a young friend of his, he (and the young man) were put in a penal battalion. Ironically, the company  they were removed from was subsequently annihilated in a crossfire.
                And it ended badly as well. On the beaches at Dunkirk, the remnants of the penal battalion were bombed or shelled and the young guy's head was blown off, next to my Grandad. Thereafter he had a great hatred of authority.
               For the rest of the war he served in the Pioneer Corps at Scapa Flow in the Shetlands. On demobilization he brought a little terrier dog called Tina back with him. I have a vague memory of the dog's presence - and asking where she'd gone after she died -  but can't visualize her.
              My dad joined up as a professional soldier in early 1945, but the war ended before he'd completed basic training. Therefter he served in Palestine for three years. On demob, he worked in a sawmill, but eventually became a semi-skilled worker as a springsmith. he was married in 1951, and thereafter lived in south Leeds (Hunslet, Middleton) and then Burley-in-Wharfedale.
              I can't recall him talking about an Uncle Frank, but the name is familiar. (He died in January 2009, so I can't ask him, now.) It's odd that our families connect indirectly through Gipton estate and Palestine!
             Best wishes,
             Paul

Offline PaulSlo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 02 August 09 01:25 BST (UK) »
Further info.

George Crowther's father Benjamin was christened on the 6th February 1791 at Birstall.
He married Sarah Kitson (born in 1797 at Heckmondwike) on 17th September 1818.

Their daughter Mary Ann was christened on 21st August 1825 at Birstall. She married a William Potts, and lived at Holbeck in Leeds. Her date of death may be in 1875.

A William Crowther was married to Elizabeth Mann at Birstall on 28th May 1766, and so may have been Benjamin's grandad.

Obviously the Birstall Parish Church records must have the more exact details.

Best wishes,
Paul

Offline PaulSlo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 02 August 09 05:01 BST (UK) »
I've deleted the original entry here concerning  the supposed ancestry of Benjamin Crowther, because I got it wrong. *This is the 'booboo' referred to in a later entry.
         Paul

Offline benny9

• RootsChat Extra
  • Crowthers engine
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 02 August 09 09:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Paul,
    We have seen some of the familysearch stuff and it points to Dewsbury, thats why me and Terry want to go and look at the parish records for Dewsbury. It is a bit confusing as there is another Benjamin and Sarah plus kids living in Batley at the same time as ours. It all points to our lot being from Dewsbury but as you say the LDS site is not allways accurate. It is a good starting point but it is compiled by amateurs who are researching their tree like us and fill in what ever else they find. At the end of the day this family history comes to a point were you have to travel to the place and spend hours looking at the actual records. There is quite a few graves of Crowthers in Dewsbury parish church have you tried the genuki web site? There is a good few entries for Crowthers in the trade directories of the time, all workers in the woolen industry, just about. Bye for now BEN
Johnson, Crowther, Sykes showman and travellers 1800's onward of Leeds and surrounding area. Also Bunting, Bosomworth and Palliser

Offline PaulSlo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 02 August 09 20:58 BST (UK) »
Another corrected entry. I've deleted stuff about Benjamin's supposed ancestry because of points that are made clear in a subsequent posting. But one thing from my original posting remains correct. Our Benjamin Crowther (George's Dad) could indeed write - as is shown by the evidence collected by Gary Murphy which I cite in a subsequent posting.
        This contains a sad story in itself. Like most people in Scholes, he seems to have worked in cloth, but the coming of industrialization impoverished him, and he had to move to Leeds for factory work. So whilst he must have been able to read and write, he was so impoverished by the coming of the machines, that he wasn't able to afford for his children to be educated. So none of his children were literate.
         Paul

Offline g0ldfish

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 29 August 09 18:01 BST (UK) »
Hello,
I thought I would write to see if anyone researching Crowther in Leeds area knew of my particular George Crowther

George Crowther (born Birstal) age 43 in 1861, agent for manufacturing chemist. lived in Holbeck, Leeds with wife Elizabeth and children Martha, Louisa and Mary (address looks like Mansfield House)

George Crowther age 50 ? in 1871, is a cloth fuller. He lived in Batley, Dewsbury with wife Elizabeth, daughters Mary( single), Martha (married) and Louisa (married). all the spouse and children are in the resdience

George Crowther is my 3G grandfather.

I am interested if you know of this line?

Many thanks

Jon

Offline teaup

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 30 August 09 22:25 BST (UK) »
my nana was  Euphemia Crowther she married George Mark, nana died in 1972
what a great lady.

Offline benny9

• RootsChat Extra
  • Crowthers engine
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 31 August 09 10:41 BST (UK) »
Hi there teaup if I am correct your nans father was William and his father was George. I am in touch with Terry Crowther who has posted on this thread who also comes from William. That is second cousins I think!
Johnson, Crowther, Sykes showman and travellers 1800's onward of Leeds and surrounding area. Also Bunting, Bosomworth and Palliser