Author Topic: Crowthers, Leeds, Stainburn sq, Publican  (Read 58179 times)

Offline telnorm

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Crowthers, Leeds, Stainburn sq, Publican
« Reply #27 on: Monday 31 August 09 11:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Teacup, Euphemia was, as Benny says the sister of my grandad William. I have a copy of grandad Williams marriage cert to Mary Ann Ohara in july 1909 where Euphemia and her future husband George Mark were the witnesses. Euphemia and George married in sept 1909 which I am sure you know.
I also have got Euphemia and George on the 1911 census living on the bank at Grantham st.
Euphemia was the daughter of William Crowther 1859 and Margaret ( maggie) Jane Mackenzie and Williams father was George Crowther 1827 and sarah ann. We are hopeful of taking the tree back quite a bit further.
Nice to hear from you. Would love to hear more about Euphemia.   regards Terry Crowther

Offline teaup

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 31 August 09 19:25 BST (UK) »
Hi
Thanks for you reply. Euphemia and george had 7 children  (5 boys- 2 girlys)
George  past away in 1955. Have a photo  taken of them just before george
died. They had a house in the Wyebeckes in Leeds.

Offline telnorm

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 01 September 09 16:57 BST (UK) »
Thanks Teacup for the picture of Euphemia. As we have a shortage of Crowther pictures this one is very welcome. Thanks again.   Regards Terry Crowther

Offline GLM66

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 11 October 09 00:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Ben,

Which Crowther are you related to from Leeds?
Im very interested in finding more info on your conection to Dewsbury Crowthers. are you interested in a Benjamin & Sarah crowther?

Atbash.

Offline GLM66

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 11 October 09 00:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Paul,

Finally Found you, sorry to hear about uncle Harry.

Offline benny9

• RootsChat Extra
  • Crowthers engine
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 13 October 09 17:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Abash I am, as is Terry and Paul, who have posted on this thread Directly related to George Crowther. I think most of the early entries on this thread tell who he was and where he lived in Leeds. He was my GGGgrandad my GGgranperents were his son Robert and wife Ann Eliza and his daughter Sarah Elizabeth and her husband Edward Johnson. Georges' parents were Benjamin and Sarah. We do not know a lot about them realy they seem to be married in Heckmondwike in 1818 and have kids in various places around that area. Thier last child is born in Leeds 1830 they probably moved to Leeds for the work in the mills. We have only got the stuff on the LDS site and a few other family trees to go on really as to where they and their parents come from. Most things I have seen have Benjamins perents as Jonas and Mary from Dewsbury. There is a lot of Crowthers in that area. Terry and I went to the archives in Leeds to see if we could find anything in the parish records for Dewsbury but we drew a blank. This does not mean it was not there but it is annoying. It is interesting as well that if you search the 1841 census you will come up with our Ben and Sarah in Holbeck and another Ben and Sarah in Batley I think. We are awaiting a break through that will take us back further and or confirm our findings. What is your link to the family? I am on my Hols soon so I might take a while to answer. BEN
Johnson, Crowther, Sykes showman and travellers 1800's onward of Leeds and surrounding area. Also Bunting, Bosomworth and Palliser

Offline GLM66

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday 13 October 09 19:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Ben, I have same connection as Paul, his Father was my mums brother.

If there are two sets of Benjamin & sarah crowthers how many marriage certificates have you found for those names, I assume there are two?
also is it that you didn't find Ben & Sarah in the Dewsbury Parish registers you searched, or is it that the baptisms for that specific time period are missing?

look forward to your reply.

Offline benny9

• RootsChat Extra
  • Crowthers engine
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday 14 October 09 08:23 BST (UK) »
Hi, Another distant relative welcome to the swelling ranks! Terry and I found the marriage of a Ben and Sarah from 1818 in the Birstall records when we went to Huddersfield library. Our trip to Leeds was ment to find Bens birth1791 in dewsbury or birstall we looked around that date in both records but nothing. Meaning we missed the entries or they were not there to find or we are barking up the wrong tree with Dewsbury. We did find a couple of pages full of other Crowthers in that area. Terry looked for a marriage for a Jonas and a Mary but still nothing. We also looked in the Rothwell records for a Sarah Dennison, Georges mother in law but agian nothing but a confirmation that a Robert Turner and a Sarah Denison were married there we got as much from the LDS site. again we may have got something if we had widened the search but we ran out of time! I go on my hols Wed so I'll have a good think while I'm away and maybe come up with some new leads. BEN
Johnson, Crowther, Sykes showman and travellers 1800's onward of Leeds and surrounding area. Also Bunting, Bosomworth and Palliser

Offline PaulSlo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Friday 16 October 09 21:30 BST (UK) »
           Gary Murphy and I have been in extensive contact about matters arising from this thread. Since he and I were last in contact he has done a lot of work relevant to Benjamin Crowther (George Crowther's Dad, Aunt Euphemia's great grandad, and my great great great Grandad).
           First, I have to confess I got a few things wrong. Benjamin and Sarah and family were in Leeds by 1841 (as Ben and Terry also discovered) . I had used the 1851 census date to determine that Benjamin was born in Birstall in 1790/1. The 1841 census suggests that he was born in 1795. Gary has persuaded me that the 1795 Benjamin is, in fact ours.
           The Benjamin born in that year had a father called William, and its striking that there's evidence to suggest that he had other children - with names that were all given, also, by Ben to some of his children.
           The other big booboo I made was in insisting on Benjamin being married to a Sarah Kitson. Gary has discovered that in the censuses for 1841 and 1851, there is a Ben and Sarah Crowther living at  Staincliffe (near Batley) with a brother-in-law - George Kitson also in residence with them. It would be truly bizarre if there were two Benjamin Crowthers married to two Sarah Kitsons in the same area.
            Garry has also found that, in Leeds, Benjamin's son - also called Benjamin - died in I844. There's also a death certificate for a baby boy called James in the same year. He died eight weeks old. On this certificate, Sarah's maiden name is given - Asquith. So this means that we should look for a marriage certificate for Ben. Crowther and Sarah Asquith. Sorry to have got this wrong.
             Paul