Author Topic: m I South Leith  (Read 5441 times)

Offline sicknote

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
m I South Leith
« on: Thursday 31 July 08 20:01 BST (UK) »
I was wondering if any one would have access to the MI for South Leith,as I am trying to track down the death of a Duncan McBean(McBain). The Last I have of him is in 1854 when his son Duncan is born.He is not on the 1861Census as his wife Helen Anderson is down as being a widow. I am also looking for the deaths of three of his children Jean b1843,Alexander b 1845 and Daniel b1852.  Any help to solve this problem is very much appreciated.

Sicknote
Welch, robinsons,rogers,beson from durham
paterson,lanarkshire
morrow,co antrim
mckay,co cavan

Offline johnbm

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: m I South Leith
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 24 February 11 17:42 GMT (UK) »
I was amazed to come across your request for information on Duncan McBain and 3 of his children, all with unrecorded deaths. I have written a McBain Family History for our family. Duncan is my great-great grandfather on my mother's side (she is a McBain). I have also been trying to find out what happened.

I'd be very happy to send you any of the material that I have, and of course to swap notes with you. Can you tell me a wee bit about your connection with the McBains?

Kind regards,
johnbm

Offline Hibee

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Adamsrow, 1914
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 27 February 11 10:07 GMT (UK) »
I don't see any McBeans or McBains listed in the MIs for North or South Leith, other than a William McBean on the Gretna disaster memorial.

Hibee
Midlothian: Adam(s), Meikle/Muckle
Leith: Bridges
Edinburgh: Brown
Prestonpans: Bird, Inglis
Fife: Wemyss
Orkney: Brock
Ireland: Sweeney

Offline jimnrodger

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 01 July 15 11:34 BST (UK) »
Hi Sicknote and Johnbm,

I have just joined Rootschat and read your posts regarding Duncan McBain.  I hope you are both still looking at Messages on the family

I am a descendant of Duncan and would like to exchange information on the family.  I am from that part of the family which moved south.

Regards,

Jenefer McBain.

Offline johnbm

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 01 July 15 14:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Jenefer,

Thanks for your message. If you could sketch out your connection with Duncan McBain, I'll check that we are talking about the same person. My great grandfather was born in South Leith, September 1854. His family originally came from Alvie. I've produced a family history which i can share with you, and would be glad to get any information from yourself.

Kind regards,
John

Offline jimnrodger

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 01 July 15 15:36 BST (UK) »
Hi John,

Boy, that was a quick reply. I am a direct descendant of Duncan's brother, Alexander McBain born 1845 and who married Christina Taylor.  They then moved down to London. Their son, also Alexander, is my Grandfather. There are a few more descendants from Duncan's father, also named Duncan who married Helen Anderson in 1842 in my tree.  I have Helen's parents as Alexander Anderson (b.1780)  and Margaret Forrest (b1785) I have Duncan junior's birth as 13th September 1842.  It looks like a probable match on my side.  I shall be away until Monday.

Best wishes.

Offline jimnrodger

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 01 July 15 15:47 BST (UK) »
Hi John,

Sorry, I was in too much of a hurry to sign off properly and I also missed out a generation.  The Alexander I said was my grandfather is my great grandfather and HIS son Alexander is my grandfather and his son Alexander was my father - too many Alexanders

Best wishes,

Jenny.

Offline johnbm

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 02 July 15 08:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Jenny,

The information you sent definitely fits with my research. Our common ancestor is Duncan McBain, born in 1820. I'll send you some files (pdf) which I'm sure you'll find of interest. I think I would need to send them directly to you, however, because of file size restrictions on this site. You can let me know what you think. (Front cover only attached).

Best wishes,
John

Offline jimnrodger

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 06 July 15 09:58 BST (UK) »
Hi John,

Many thanks for your reply.  I use an old programme "Family Tree Maker"  I shall look forward to seeing your tree and hopefully, if I have any new names for you, I will put them in and return a draft for your information.  Have you seen McBain in Edinburgh Castle?  He has what we call a McBain feature which, unfortunately, I also have.  My email address is in my husband's name (*)

Best wishes,

Jenny.

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.

See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php