Author Topic: Passengers on Glengairn, 1857  (Read 664 times)

Offline maxene

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Passengers on Glengairn, 1857
« on: Saturday 02 August 08 04:11 BST (UK) »
If there is anyone who visits the PROV rooms...I am looking for a record of Thomas and George Anderson who may have been passengers on the "Glencairn" which sailed to Australia from Ireland in 1857. So far, I have not been able to access a passenger list. Thanks, Maxene

Offline sarra

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Passengers on Glengairn, 1857
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 06 August 08 08:34 BST (UK) »
Maxene,

I looked at the manifest for the Glen Cairn - it sailed from Glasgow 23rd December 1856, bound for MELBOURNE -  arrived Melbourne Australia 7th April 1857..

Unfortunately there is only one passenger listed - James Thompson - age 19, and the Master of the ship J Bulford.

John Bulford - made a written declaration to the effect that the one adult passenger (Thompson) was not a immigrant within the necessary act passed by the Government Legislative Council of Victoria -etc, etc.

The Glen Cairn was a ship of 921 tons, it must have been carrying passengers.

Where did you get your information from that - Thomas & George Anderson were passengers on this ship.?

Sarra

Offline maxene

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Passengers on Glengairn, 1857
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 06 August 08 12:53 BST (UK) »
Hi, Sarra - it has been so long since I began trying to locate this info that I am not sure. I MAY have been trawling through deaths at sea or been trying to locate these two ancestors by a process of elimination. I had found the two names you mention, but obviously there were other passengers. I have been told that paying passengers were not always listed. I'll keep searching. Thanks for your help. Maxene