Author Topic: Charles Fox and Rose Reilly!!  (Read 4699 times)

Offline Betty Boo

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Charles Fox and Rose Reilly!!
« on: Monday 04 August 08 13:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Everyone!!!

I am trying to help a friend with her family tree but not having much luck online, can anyone help, I only have a little info she passed on to me below.

Charles Fox and Rose Reilly (don't know when they married) their son John was born in Longford, County Longford I think about 1845 give or take a few years.‏
This is all the info that was passed onto me, not a lot as you can see but any help would be very much appreciate, even if anyone can tell me where to find a website to search, tried Family Search but no luck there.

Betty

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Charles Fox and Rose Reilly!!
« Reply #1 on: Monday 04 August 08 14:02 BST (UK) »
Just of bit of information so you'll know what's available in Ireland and what isn't.
Civil registration of births started in 1864 so there will be no birth certificates before then. Registration of deaths and Catholic marriages also began 1864 (from 1845 for other marriages).
Before civil registration dates you need to search for sources like church records but to do so you need to know the family's religion and where they lived (parish is not actual townland not just the county).
First complete census is 1901. Only small fragments of earlier ones for a few places survive.

Here's a few sites for Co. Longford but they probably won't be much help until you get a place in Co. Longford:
www.genealogylinks.net/uk/ireland/longford
www.genuki.org.uk/big/irl/LOG
www.from-ireland.net/long/longforconts.htm
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Betty Boo

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 04 August 08 14:08 BST (UK) »
Hello aghadowey,

Thanks for your message and the information and links.

I know its difficuly if you don't have the place in Longford, I do know they were Roman Catholic and thats all really.

I will take a look at the website you suggested and see if there is anything there that could help.

I appreciate your help, thank you!!

Betty

Offline Betty Boo

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 08 August 08 18:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Everyone,

I have now found out Charles Fox and Rose Reilly came from Granard County Longford.  I am not sure if this helps any, I tried Family Search but nothing there.
Their son John was as I said born about 1845.

Betty

Offline foxjohnstone

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 15 August 08 18:34 BST (UK) »
My line are the fox's of Kilcoursey. I have a book with all the fox's in,and will let you know if I find them.

Gem
Researching the family of Matthew fox JOHNSTONE born Ireland 1832 , Served  in India from 1855 with the Royal Artillery.
 Matthew's 8 children and their families married into the following families in India;- ( Of Irish blood= Wheeler, Kenyon, Baker, Raynor, Fitzgerald-Uniacke, Fox), of Scotch blood = Gilmour, Balfour, Taylor, . Of un-known/British blood;- Rose, Matthews, Rae, Hicks-Beach, Jones,Swetenham, D'Aguilar, Boutflower, Gwyther.

Offline Betty Boo

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 15 August 08 22:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Gem

That would be great if you could check your book, maybe lucky you never know.

Betty :)