Author Topic: Medal presented by Ernest Jardine MP + additional photo (new)  (Read 15051 times)

Offline Red_Fred

• RootsChat Extra
  • Leonard Skinner and Mary Jane Dickenson
    • View Profile
Re: Medal presented by Ernest Jardine MP
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 20 August 09 02:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Copperbeach

I was actually born in Nottingham Women's Hospital on Peel Street in 1947 and went home a few days later to the Meadows where I lived until 1971.

My mum was born in the Meadows in 1910 and still lives there at 99 years of age, bless her, on her own and coping well

Jardines Meadows factory was on Deering Street.  I have pasted a link which gives some information - much of this has already been covered in the thread

http://www.thisisnottingham.co.uk/news/Illustrious-family-built-empire-industry/article-592705-detail/article.html

KRs
Malc
Shropshire - Fox, Davies, Jones, Hotchkiss, Downing, Pickering, Ratcliffe, Cooper, Hallgate, Tilley, Binnell, Owen, Egerton, Sandford, Hazelwood, Sadler
Nottingham - Skinner, Fox, Dickenson, Taylor, Clarke,
Newark - Clarke, Bilton
Newton par. Shelford - Skinner, Dickenson, Whyley, Wilson, Warren
Bethnal Green and Shoreditch - Dickenson
Denbighshire - Jones, Roberts
Lincolnshire - Tindall

Offline somerset boy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 16 August 10 10:27 BST (UK) »
I assume this Ernest Jardine is father of Sir John Jardine Bt who lived in a south somerset village in retirement, who it seems continued his father's routines by giving out awards. In this case it was "Honours PrizE" certificates to best children in the village primary school.  Any one agree?

Offline jangar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 16 August 10 13:03 BST (UK) »
Hi, A really interesting link re Jardines. The article mentioned Albert Foster's recollections. Albert was my great uncle dying  at 101 years old. Albert worked for Jardines as did his father Joseph and brother Harold (who is still alive 96 y/o), and brother-in-law Reg Simpson -my grandfather. Albert and Harold were in regular contact via cassette tape in which they spoke often about their time at Jardines.

Offline conijoni

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 17 August 10 07:27 BST (UK) »
I wrote a book called "Scouting for...Church Scouts" and I wrote about John Jardine in the Appendices...

D J Jardine (pronounced ‘ine’ as in wine)

Don or John Jardine was born in 1884, son of Ernest Jardine, a wealthy Nottingham businessman. His first involvement with youth work was in 1903 when he was invited to become Adjutant to the Nottingham Battalion of the Church Lads’ Brigade. At this time he was a Lieutenant in the Robin Hood Rifles, 1st Notts RV. His work as Adjutant to the CLB was short-lived.

By 1907, Jardine was a Captain in the North Somerset Yeomanry and was asked to take command of the Nottingham CLB Battalion. With the advent of Scouting, he founded the 1st Notts Battalion Boy Scouts, Southwell Diocesan Regiment of Scouts in 1909, and was its Colonel Commandant. (He retained command of the Nottingham CLB Battalion.) In 1912, the 1st Notts Battalion Boy Scouts affiliated to the Church Lads’ Brigade. Jardine joined the Executive of the Incorporated Church Scout Patrols.

Jardine was a Captain in the South Notts Hussars between 1910 and 1914. On August 17th 1914, he resigned his command of the Southwell Diocesan Regiment of Scouts as he was called up for war service. At the end of the Great War, Jardine was a Lieutenant Colonel in the Signals Service, Royal Engineers. When he returned home he became involved with Scouting once again, but with the Boy Scouts Association.

Jardine owned a houseboat on the River Trent and helped establish a number of troops of Sea Scouts; 1st Notts, 1st Beeston (Jardine’s Own) and 2nd Beeston. For a time he was District Commissioner for the SW Notts Association, becoming County Commissioner for Sea Scouts about 1930. In 1939, he presented the SW Notts Association with The Jardine Trophy.

In 1932, like his father, Jardine became High Sheriff of Nottingham (NB – this is not the same position as the Sheriff of Nottingham.) During the Second World War he served as Deputy Commander, British Red Cross and St John War Organisation, Middle East. In 1943, he was awarded a Civil OBE. When his father died in 1947, he inherited his father’s baronetcy, becoming Sir John Jardine, OBE, TD, 2nd Bart. Sir John died on 1st August 1965, aged 80. He never married, had no heirs, and so the baronetcy died with him.
Self ... Conn, Brownlee, Cameron, Bates.
Wife ... Clegg, Niblock, Dunlop, Rowley.
Other ... Bremner, Lewis, McIlwrath, Cardy.

Offline conijoni

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 17 August 10 07:29 BST (UK) »
And something about his father...

Ernest Jardine

Ernest Jardine was born in 1859, the son of John Jardine, a lace machinery manufacturer in Nottingham. In 1907, he purchased the Abbey at Glastonbury for £30,000 on behalf of the Church of England, holding it in trust until the Church could raise the money. He lived at the Abbey House, and in 1910 became a Liberal-Unionist Member of Parliament for East Somerset, serving until 1918. He became Sir Ernest Jardine in 1919 when he was created a baronet. He returned to Nottingham and became a leading industrialist. In 1928, he was appointed High Sheriff of Nottingham.

Ernest Jardine was described by the New York Times (3rd October 1909) as a patriotic Englishman when he prevented Americans from buying and transporting to the USA the house in which the actor Henry Irving was born. He supported the establishment of the 24th May as Empire Day and was keen to popularise the flying of the Union Flag. He died in 1947, his son John succeeding him as baronet.

Offline somerset boy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 17 August 10 10:39 BST (UK) »
coninjoni, thanks for this.

please confirm whether this was the chap who finished up in south somerset village in the 60s?

Offline conijoni

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 17 August 10 11:04 BST (UK) »
It would seem likely that it is as he had strong ties with Somerset. However, I cannot say with certainty. You will have to corroborate this fact some other way. conijoni

Offline fangel127

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 04 February 12 13:12 GMT (UK) »
I have a bronze medal presented to my Father who died in 1964. On the back is the inscription
N.S.S.A.
Huntingdon Street School
Jardine Trophy
It is contained in a purpose built box with 'The Jardine Trophy 1912' inlaid on the top.
I have always understood that it was for a mile swim in the River Trent.

Offline copperbeech5

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 04 February 12 15:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi Fangel 127

Welcome to Rootschat!

Your post is very interesting to hear about,and what a brave chap! 

Mine is a silver - sort of medalion on a (watch?) chain.   
My Gt Grandfather must have worn it very proudly for many years so that sadly parts of the engraving are impossible to read. 

Now you have reminded me, I will try to put a picture of it on here!

Best wishes,
Copperbeech5
Hutchinson - Nottingham.
Rowland - Nottingham.
Parkin - Co Durham/Nottingham.
Gardiner/Gardner/Gardener - Co Durham.
Drake - Derbyshire/Lincolnshire/Sussex/London?
Leighton - Derbyshire.